Show Easy Read
Getting To The Hospital
- The main entrance to the Lister Hospital is located off Coreys Mill Lane.
- There are two bus stops just outside the grounds of the hospital. Bus stop A buses include: 55, 80, 300, 301, 386, 390, 635. Bus stop B buses include: 55, 80, 300, 301, 386, 390, 635, SB8, SB9.
- Link to getting to Lister Hospital.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
Getting Help and Assistance
- There is a Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at the hospital.
- The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is located in the main hospital corridor.
- The telephone number for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is 01438 285 811.
- The email address for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is [email protected]
- There are volunteers available for help and assistance at the hospital.
- Volunteers can be found at the main reception.
- Volunteers do not receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Hospital staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- The alternative formats documents can be provided in include; Braille on request, large print on request and different languages on request.
- There is not an assistance dog toilet or toileting area on the hospital site.
- No hospital staff receive deaf awareness training.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are available.
- BSL interpreters can be provided on request.
- Language interpreters can be provided on request.
- Mobility aids are available to help patients move around and include; wheelchairs.
- There are wheelchair collection points at all main entrances.
- A fee of £1 is required to use the wheelchair(s).
Getting To (Short Stay Unit)
- The Short Stay Unit is/are located on level 3 of Strathmore Wing.
- To see the hospital map please click here (opens new tab).
- Access to The Short Stay Unit is via the Strathmore Wing entrance.
- On entering Strathmore Wing, take a right and right again. Continue to the end of the corridor and the Strathmore Wing lifts are located to the left. Take the lifts to level 3 and the Short Stay Unit is located to the right.
- There is step free access, via lift, to the Short Stay Unit.
- The Short Stay Unit is approximately 7m from the lifts.
- There is a/are manual, heavy, double door(s) between the Strathmore Wing entrance and the department/service.
- Wayfinding signage is provided.
- Dementia friendly signage is not provided.
- There is flooring in corridors with a very shiny finish which could cause issues with glare or be perceived as slippery.
Outside Access (Green Zone)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed.
- There is ramped/sloped access at this entrance.
- The entrance door(s) does/do contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- The bell is not in a suitable position to allow wheelchair users to gain access.
- The intercom is not in a suitable position to allow wheelchair users to gain access.
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically (towards you).
- The door(s) is/are double width.
- The width of the door opening is 167cm.
- There is a small lip on the threshold of the entrance, with a height of 2cm or below.
- The ramp/slope is located in front of the entrance.
- The ramp/slope gradient is steep.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- There is a level landing at the top of the ramp/slope.
Other Floors (Strathmore Wing NEW)
- Signs indicating the location of the stairs are clearly visible from the entrance.
- There are manual, heavy, single doors to enter and exit the stairwell on all floors.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are 2, 3, 4, 5.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The height of the step(s) is/are between the recommended 15cm and 18cm.
- The going of the step(s) is/are between the recommended 30cm and 45cm.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- Handrails are at the recommended height (90cm-100cm).
- Handrails do cover the flight of stairs throughout its length.
- Handrails are easy to grip.
- Handrails do extend horizontally beyond the first and last steps.
- There is a landing.
- Clear signs indicating the facilities on each floor of the building are not provided on landings.
- The lighting levels are varied.
Lift (Strathmore Wing)
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located on level 2 to the right as you enter the Strathmore Wing entrance.
- The lift is approximately 25m (27yd 1ft) from the Strathmore Wing entrance.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are 2-3-4-5.
- Staff do not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- There are not separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does not have an audible announcer.
- The controls for the lift are within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- The lift does not have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The lighting level in the lift is medium.
- Monday 09:00 - 21:00.
- Tuesday 09:00 - 21:00.
- Wednesday 09:00 - 21:00.
- Thursday 09:00 - 21:00.
- Friday 09:00 - 21:00.
- Saturday 09:00 - 21:00.
- Sunday 09:00 - 21:00.
- This is a/an short stay ward.
- This is a shared ward.
- There is/are 4 bay(s) available.
- There is/are 4 side room(s) available.
- There is/are 28 bed(s) on this ward in total.
- There is a/are door(s) leading into the ward.
- The door(s) open(s) towards you (pull).
- The door(s) is/are double width.
- The door(s) is/are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 172cm (5ft 8in).
- There is level access throughout the ward.
- There is no clear signage on the ward.
- The type of flooring is vinyl/laminate.
- There is some flooring on the ward with a very shiny finish which could cause issues with glare or be perceived as slippery.
- There is some flooring on the ward with large, repeating patterns that incorporate bold contrasting colours or simulate steps.
- The lighting levels are medium.
- The height of the ward reception desk is 107cm.
- There is not a lowered section.
- There is not a hearing assistance system available at the desk.
- There is not a relatives room for the ward.
Ward Features and Patient Facilities
- A hearing assistance system is not available on the ward.
- The ward does not play background music.
- There is a chair with armrests on both sides.
- A mobile hoist is available on the ward.
- There are accessible toilet facilities on the ward for visitors.
- There are standard toilet facilities on the ward for visitors.
- The washroom surveyed has a wheel in shower, a toilet and a wash basin.
- There is/are 1 washroom(s) of this type in the ward.
- There is step free access to the washroom surveyed once inside the ward.
- This is an interchangeable between male and female washroom.
- The washroom is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial and written or text signage on or near the washroom door.
- The washroom door(s) open(s) inwards.
- The door(s) is/are locked by a locking handle.
- The door(s) is/are heavy to open.
- The width of the door opening is 86cm (2ft 10in).
- The washroom does have an unobstructed minimum turning space of 150cm x 150cm.
- There is an emergency pull cord alarm.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is out of reach (higher than 10cm (4") from floor).
- There is not a flashing fire alarm beacon within the washroom.
- There is not a coat hook in the washroom.
- There is a mirror.
- There is not a tall mirror, with suitable specifications, for ease of use.
- There is a wash basin.
- The height of the wash basin is 83cm.
- There are no wall-mounted grab rails for the wash basin.
- The tap type is twist/turn. It is not a mixer tap.
- There is a soap dispenser.
- The height of the soap dispenser is 123cm.
- There is a towel dispenser.
- The height of the towel dispenser is 122cm.
- There is not a hand dryer.
- Disposal facilities are available.
- The washroom has a non-slip floor.
- The washroom surveyed does not have a ceiling tracking hoist.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 45cm (1ft 6in).
- The cistern is not close coupled and no padded back rest is provided.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the left.
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There are no wall-mounted grab rails for the toilet.
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The height of the toilet roll holder is 68cm.
- There is not a colostomy changing shelf for standing users next to the toilet.
- There is a wheel in shower.
- The shower head is height adjustable.
- The shower control type is twist/turn.
- A shower chair is available.
- The height of the flip down/tip up or fixed seat is 54cm (1ft 9in).
- There are wall-mounted grab rails available.
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The colour contrast between the external washroom door and wall is good.
- The colour contrast between the internal washroom door and wall is good.
- The colour contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is good.
- The toilet seat colour contrast is good.
- The colour contrast between the shower wall-mounted grab rails and wall is good.
- The colour contrast between the washroom floor and walls is fair.
- Lighting levels are medium.
- There are not accessible toilet facilities within this venue.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are available.
Access to Standard Shared Toilet(s)
- The shared toilets that were surveyed are located on the left of the ward corridor.
- Inside the venue, there is level access to the shared toilet(s).
- An ambulant toilet with wall mounted grab rails is available.
- Lighting levels are medium.