COVID-19 Information (Aberystwyth University)
- The information in this section was taken in March 2021.
- Building opening times will vary depending on COVID-19 restrictions in place at the time.
- There have been no changes to the Blue Badge parking bays.
- In buildings where teaching takes place, one-way systems have been introduced, with some designated entrances and exit points.
- One-way systems will be in force during the changeover period between teaching activities (generally between ten to and ten past the hour).
Individuals with accessibility requirements, however, are not required to follow building one-way systems, and continue to be able to enter, exit and navigate buildings via the most accessible routes.
- In tight entrance and exit points, hand sanitising stations will generally be wall-mounted rather than free standing to maximise the available space.
- Hand sanitising stations have been installed at all building entrances and exits. Supplies of sanitising wipes have also been made available at strategic locations.
- Floor markings have been added to assist with social distancing and way-finding, to account for one-way systems. Signage has also been put on walls and doors to remind building users to keep at least 2 metres apart.
- Room capacities have been reviewed and reduced to ensure that social distancing of at least 2 metres can be maintained. Maximum room capacities will be clearly signposted at the entrances.
- Protective screens have been introduced at all reception desk areas.
- Building lifts should be single occupancy only, unless individuals are with other members of their households or extended households.
- Some urinals and cubicles in standard toilets have been closed to assist with social distancing. Majority of toilet areas have been changed to single occupancy areas only, adopting a knock and shout approach.
- Communal changing areas are closed. All shower areas to be single occupancy areas only, adopting a knock and shout approach.
- All users of University buildings are expected to comply with the University's guidance on face coverings Individuals who are exempt from the requirement to wear a face covering are asked to wear a distinguishable lanyard to identify to others that they are exempt.
- For more information about the measures in place for Covid-19 please click here (new tab) .
- Additional information about the measures in place for Covid-19 can be found here (new tab) .
- Services / facilities within the grounds include stables, livery, equine offices, indoor and outdoor arenas.
- Aberystwyth University lies in the centre of the west coast of Wales on the A487 and at the end of the A44. The Llanbardan University Campus is located in Llanbardan Fawr on the east of Aberystwyth off the Primrose Hill just off the A44.
- There is a campus car park for visitors and staff and student permit holders. This car park is located along the left of the campus as you enter.
- For more information on getting to the University by car please click here (opens new tab).
- The nearest bus stop is the Rural Studies Institute stop. This bus stop is approximately 100m from the main reception. This bus stop is served by the 301, 585, 588, TrawsCymru T5, YP4 and YP8 routes.
- For more information on getting to the University by bus please click here (opens new tab).
- The nearest Railway Station is Aberystwyth.
- Aberystwyth Station is approximately 2.5km from the University on foot. The train station is linked to the university campus by the 301 bus route. This train station is served by the Arriva Trains Wales and Vale of Rheidol Railway.
- For more information on getting to the University by train please click here (opens new tab).
- For more information on national train timetabling and ticketing, and station information for Aberystwyth station please click here (opens new tab).
- For more information on getting to the University, and maps, please use the link below.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
- For more information on traveling by bus through Wales, please use the link below.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
- To see more information on Student Support Services please click here (opens new tab).
- Telephone Number: 01970 621 761.
- Email: [email protected].
- Student Support Services is based in the Student Welcome Centre on the Penglais Campus.
- To see more information on Academic Registry please click here (opens new tab).
- The Academic Registry deals with admissions and is based on the first floor of the Cledwyn Building. Contact details for staff members can be found on the university website.
- To see more information on Accommodation Office please click here (opens new tab).
- Telephone Number: 01970 622 984.
- Email: [email protected].
- The building does not have its own dedicated parking.
Site/Campus Car Parks
- There is a site/campus car park for staff, students and visitors within approximately 200m.
- The name of the car park is Llanbardan Campus Car Park.
- The car park is located along the edge of the Llanbardan Campus.
Public Car Parks
- There is not a car park for public use within 200m (approx).
Drop Off Point
- There is not a designated drop off point.
- It is possible to park around the edge of the stables yard by agreement with the equine manager.
Site/Campus Car Park (Llanbardan Campus)
- The car park is located on the left side of the Llanbardan campus.
- The nearest building(s) to this car park is/are Elystan Morgan.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- Designated Blue Badge parking bays are available.
- The Blue Badge bay(s) is/are clearly marked.
- There is/are 2 designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) within this car park.
- The dimensions of the designated parking bay(s) are 350cm x 600cm (11ft 6in x 19ft 8in).
- The dimensions of the designated bays do vary in size.
Charges and Restrictions
- This car park can be used by visitors, staff permit holders and student permit holders.
- There are no parking charges that apply on the day.
- Signs are provided to give information on parking charges/restrictions.
- Signs are clearly presented.
Drop Off Point
- There is not a designated drop off point in this car park.
Car Park Access
- There is sloped access to the car park from the Elystan Morgan Building.
- This car park is not clearly signposted from the Elystan Morgan Building.
- The nearest designated bay is 46m (50yd 11in) from the Elystan Morgan main entrance.
Stables and Livery
- The Stables and Livery building contains the stables, equine offices, tack room, feed room and toilets.
- There is a single, manual, light door 79cm wide which opens away from you. This entrance has a slight ramp just in front of the door and gives step free access to the stables and right side toilets.
- There is a similar entrance at the front left of the building which provides step free access into the livery and left side toilets and shower.
- There are multiple access points into the stables and livery both stepped and ramped.
- There is step free access throughout stables with concrete gutters running the length of the stables.
- The floor has a concrete surface.
- The Indoor Arena has a 4m wide level entrance as shown in photograph 1. There is a steep slope to access the Indoor Arena from the stables.
- The indoor arena has a sand surface.
- There is a viewing area on the left with 3 well marked, deep steps which can be bypassed by a steep ramp at the rear of the seating which accesses the front row.
- There is tiered seating with 8 deep steps up the left side of seating. The seats consist of flip down seats with no arm rests. This area is shown in photographs 4, 5 and 6.
- The right side viewing area has 3 deep steps to access. The tiered seating has 14 medium steps to access the rear of the seating. The seating consists of flip down seating with no arm rests. This is shown in photographs 7 and 8.
- Accessible shower facilities are available.
- The accessible shower(s) surveyed is/are located ahead and to the right as you enter from the left entrance.
- The facilities available in the accessible shower(s) include; an adjustable shower head.
- There is not level access to the services from the accessible shower facilities.
- There is an easy ramp with handrails on both sides to access this area from the entrance.
- Accessible toilet facilities are available.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- This accessible toilet is approximately 5m (5yd 1ft) from the right entrance.
- This accessible toilet is located ahead and to the left as you enter.
- There is a similar accessible toilet to the left of the building. This one has good contrasting handrails and a transfer space on the left.
- There is level access to this accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a twist lock.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 87cm (2ft 10in).
- The door is light.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 150cm x 220cm (4ft 11in x 7ft 3in).
- There is not a clear 150cm x 150cm manoeuvring space in the accessible toilet.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the right.
- The lateral transfer space is 82cm (2ft 8in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- There is an emergency pull cord alarm in the cubicle.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is fully functional.
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- There is a/are female sanitary disposal units.
- There is not a/are not coat hook(s).
Position of Fixtures
- Wall mounted grab rails are available for the toilet.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There is not a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- There is a mirror.
- Mirrors are placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 48cm (1ft 7in).
- There is a hand dryer.
- The hand dryer cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The hand dryer is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a towel dispenser.
- The towel dispenser cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The towel dispenser is placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- The height of the towel dispenser is 133cm (4ft 4in).
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- The height of the toilet roll holder is 104cm (3ft 5in).
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
- There is a soap dispenser.
- The soap dispenser cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The height of the soap dispenser is 83cm.
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the external door and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is poor.
- The toilet seat colour contrast is poor.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are medium.
Standard Changing Room
- There is a/are standard changing room(s) available.
- The standard changing room(s) surveyed is/are located next to the accessible shower.
- The standard changing room(s) is/are approximately 9m (9yd 2ft) from the left entrance.
- There is not level access to the standard changing room(s).
Standard Toilet Surveyed
- A shared standard toilet was surveyed.
- The toilet surveyed is located to the left of the equine offices.
- There is step free access to the standard toilet(s) surveyed from the entrance.
- The standard toilet surveyed is approximately 19m from the right entrance.
- There is not a/are not cubicle(s) suitable for ambulant disabled people in the standard toilet(s) surveyed.
- Lighting levels in the standard toilet surveyed are good.