- For more information regarding COVID-19, please visit the Council website here.
- This route plan describes a route between the Armagh cathedrals.
- It starts at St Patrick's Cathedral (COI) and finishes and St Patrick's Cathedral (RC).
- The approximate distance of this route is 700 metres.
ROI Cathedral Grounds to Abbey Street
- Start at St Patrick's Cathedral (COI).
- Click here for detailed information
- Exit the cathedral grounds into Castle Street via the pedestrian exit.
- There is a 7cm step at this exit which is not marked and does not have any handrails.
- Cross Castle Street diagonally to the right and join the pavement at the other side via the dropped kerb.
- The dropped kerb does not have tactile paving.
- Turn left and follow the pavement downhill towards Dawson Street.
- The pavement has a block paving surface.
- Follow the path round to the right at the junction with Dawson Street.
- Continue to follow the path as it bends round to the right and meets Abbey Street.
- At approximately 190 metres turn left and cross Abbey Street.
- There are dropped kerbs and tactile paving on both sides.
- Be careful of traffic approaching from the right when crossing.
- Continue along Dawson Street.
- The pavement continues to have a block paving surface.
- The path slopes steeply downhill.
- There are some slightly undulating sections towards the end of Dawson Street, opposite the Shambles Market.
- At approximately 350 metres you will reach the end of Dawson Street.
- Turn left and cross Dawson Street.
- The crossing has dropped kerbs and tactile paving on both sides.
- Traffic comes from the left only at this crossing.
- Turn right immediately and reach the junction with Cathedral Road.
- Turn left at the junction with Cathedral Road.
- Proceed straight ahead along Cathedral Road.
- At approximately 450 metres cross the Shambles Traders access road.
- There are dropped kerbs and tactile paving on both sides of this crossing.
- At approximately 500 metres cross Edward Street.
- There are dropped kerbs on both sides of this crossing but tactile paving on the near side only.
- Continue past the petrol station taking care of traffic entering and exiting.
- Reach the Cathedral Road traffic lights.
Cathedral Road Crossing to RC Cathedral Grounds
- Turn right at the traffic lights and cross Cathedral Road.
- There are dropped kerbs and tactile paving at both sides of the crossing.
- At the far side of the crossing turn right and continue to the entrance to the cathedral grounds.
- Cross the cobbled surface at the access road and enter via the second pedestrian gate.
- The gate opens away from you and is permanently held open.
- The opening width at the gateway is 132cm.
- There are some raised stones in the threshold of the gateway.
RC Cathedral Grounds
- Follow the path up the hill towards the cathedral.
- Continue along the path as it turns right and then left to bypass the steps.
- The path is steep and has a tarmac surface.
- The path has a handrail on the left, going up, along the steepest section.
- Care should be taken on the sloped path as it can become slippery when wet.
- At the top of the path you will reach the cathedral car park.
- You have reached St Patrick's Cathedral (RC).
- Click here for detailed information.