COVID-19 Information (Birmingham Women’s and Children’s NHS Foundation Trust)
Getting To The Hospital
- The Birmingham Women's and Children's Hospital is located on Steelhouse Lane.
- Parking is available at the NCP Royal Angus Car Park located on Whittall Street, B4 6HD opposite the hospital or Printing House Car Park located on Printing House Street B4 6DE.
- Getting to Birmingham Children's Hospital by bus. Services 33, 51, 52, 65, 67, X3, X4, X5, 907, X14, 934, 935, 935A, 936, 997, X51 – stop on James Watt Queensway or on Corporation Street. Services 16, 74 - to the bus stop at Old Square.
- Buses to Birmingham Children's Hospital.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
Getting Help and Assistance
- There is a Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at the hospital.
- The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is located on the main corridor just past the reception.
- The telephone number for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is 01213 338 403.
- The email address for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is [email protected]
- There are volunteers available for help and assistance at the hospital.
- Volunteers do not receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Hospital staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Volunteers can be found in the main foyer.
- Hospital staff receive deaf awareness training.
- Documents are available in an alternative format and can be provided to include: Braille on request, large print on request and Makaton on request.
- There is not an assistance dog toilet or toileting area on the hospital site.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are available.
- BSL interpreters can be provided on request.
- Language interpreters can be provided on request.
- A mobility scooter charging point is not available at the hospital.
- Mobility aids are available to help patients move around and include; wheelchairs.
- To obtain mobility aids please contact main reception.
- The hospital does not have a dedicated car park.
- There is a designated drop-off point.
- The drop-off point is located outside the main entrance.
- There is a dropped kerb from the drop-off point.
- The dropped kerb does not have tactile paving.
Access to the Hospital
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is/are dropped kerbs.
- The hospital entrance is clearly visible from the car park.
- The nearest designated Blue Badge parking bay is approximately 14m (15yd 11in) from the Main entrance.
- This distance is from the drop off bay.
On Street Standard Parking
- Standard on street parking is available.
Public Car Park
- There is a car park for public use within approximately 200m (219yd).
- The public car park is located on Weaman Street.
- The name of the car park is Royal Angus and B4 Car Park.
- There is not a designated drop-off point.
Getting To (WHSmiths)
- WHSmiths is/are located on the ground floor.
- Access to WHSmiths is via the Main Hospital entrance.
- Enter via the Main Hospital entrance and proceed along the main corridor past the reception and the WHSmiths is located on the right.
- There is step free access to WHSmiths.
- WHSmiths is approximately 12m from the Main Hospital entrance.
- Wayfinding signage is not provided.
- There is flooring in corridors which is shiny and could cause issues with glare or look slippery to some people.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the hospital.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed.
- There is ramped/sloped access at this entrance.
- There is a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- The entrance door(s) does/do contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- There is a dark mat or floor marking at this entrance that might be perceived as a hole.
- There is not a bell/buzzer.
- There is an intercom.
- The height of the intercom is 130cm (4ft 3in).
- There is a hand sanitiser.
- The height of the hand sanitiser is 147cm (4ft 10in).
- There is a door release button when exiting.
- The height of the door release button is 127cm (4ft 2in).
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically.
- The door(s) is/are double width.
- The width of the door opening is 171cm.
- The ramp/slope is located to the left and right and beyond the entrance.
- The ramp/slope gradient is slight.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- There is a level landing at the top of the ramp/slope.
- There is a/are handrail(s) at the ramp.
- The handrail(s) is/are in the centre going up the ramp.
- The lighting levels at the ramp/slope are medium.
- The ramp/slope does not bypass the step(s).
- The doors are locked at 10.00pm when the intercom is needed and exit button.
- This information is for the entrance located on the ground floor.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed with the name of the service/department.
- There is step free access at this entrance.
- There is no hand sanitiser at this entrance.
- There are no doors at this entrance.
- The width of the door opening is 103cm.
- The counter is located to the right on entering the store.
- The counter is approximately 4m (4yd 1ft) from the WHSmiths entrance.
- The counter is clearly visible from the entrance.
- There is step free access to the counter.
- The lighting levels at the counter are bright.
- The height of the counter is high (110cm+).
- There is sufficient space to write or sign documents on the counter.
- There is not a low section of the counter (76cm or below) available.
- The counter is staffed.
- The type of system is a fixed loop.
- There is a hearing assistance system.
- The hearing assistance system is signed.
- Staff are not trained to use the system.
- There is level access once inside.
- This venue does not play background music.
- Motorised scooters are allowed in public parts of the venue.
- Wayfinding signage is not available.
- The type of flooring in walkways and corridors is vinyl/laminate and wood.
- The lighting levels are bright.
- The nearest accessible toilet is located on the main corridor.
- The nearest standard toilet is located on the main corridor.
Related Access Guides
- To view other access guides that are related to this one please use the links below.
- Birmingham Womens and Childrens Hospital Main Entrance link (new tab) - click here.