Getting To The Hospital
- From the M40 Beaconsfield at Junction 2 follow signs for Amersham and take the A355. Continue down the steep hill and go straight across the first roundabout. Go left at the next roundabout at the bottom of the hill. At the next roundabout turn left into Whielden Street. The hospital is located 500 metres on the right. From the Chorleywood M25 junction follow signs for Amersham and take the A404. As you enter Amersham follow the signs for High Wycombe and take the bypass. Go straight across the Stanley Hill roundabout then turn right at the Gore Hill roundabout. At the bottom of the hill turn left at the mini roundabout then take the first left into Whielden Street. The hospital is located 500 metres on the right. From Aylesbury follow signs for Amersham and take the A413 then the Amersham bypass. At the Whielden Lane roundabout turn right onto the A404 to High Wycombe and then turn left into Whielden Street. Take the first left and the main car park is about 400m down the road. From High Wycombe follow signs for Amersham and take the A404 to Amersham. As you enter to Amersham you will pass a Crematorium on the left and then come to a roundabout. Go completely around the roundabout and head back towards High Wycombe. Take the first turning on the left into Whielden Street. Take the first leftand the main car park is about 400m down the road. Please Note: It is not possible to turn right into Whielden Street from the A404.
- The main car park is at the rear of the building. There is an additional car park at the front of the building. There is also a limited number of parking spaces available on the public highway at the front of the hospital.
- Amersham Hospital is served by the following buses: Route 1 Arriva/Carousel: High Wycombe – Hazlemere – Holmer Green - Amersham – Chesham Route 55 Redline Buses: Aylesbury – Stoke Mandeville Hospital – Wendover – Great Missenden –Amersham – Chesham Route 73 Red Rose Travel: Whelpley Hill – Chesham – Amersham – Winchmore Hill - Coleshill Route 353 Redline Buses: Slough – Stoke Poges – Gerrards Cross – The Chalfonts – Amersham.
- The nearest train station to Amersham hospital is Amersham station. Details of trains to Amersham station can be accessed via the Chiltern Railways website.
- The nearest London Underground station is Amersham station.
- For up to date bus timetables please see the link below.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
- For up to date train timetables please see the link below.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
Getting Help and Assistance
- There is not a Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at the hospital.
- There are volunteers available for help and assistance at the hospital.
- Volunteers do not receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Hospital staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Volunteers can be found at the help desks.
- Hospital staff receive deaf awareness training.
- The alternative formats documents can be provided in include; large print on request, Makaton on request and different languages on request.
- There is not an assistance dog toilet or toileting area on the hospital site.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are available.
- BSL interpreters can be provided on request.
- Language interpreters can be provided on request.
- Mobility aids are available to help patients move around and include; wheelchairs.
- To obtain mobility aids please contact staff at Main Entrance C and Entrance D.
Hospital Parking (Front Car Park)
- The hospital does have a dedicated car park.
- The car park is located at the front of the hospital site.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- The car park does have a barrier control system.
- Controls at the barrier are within the range of 100cm to 110cm.
- The barrier controls/touchscreen can be reached from the car.
- The car park surface is concrete.
- There is a/are clearly marked/signposted Blue Badge parking bay(s) available.
- The Blue Badge bay(s) markings are faded.
- There is/are 6 designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the hospital car park.
- The dimensions of the designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) surveyed are 367cm x 589cm (12ft x 19ft 4in).
- There is not a 120cm hatched zone around the Blue Badge parking bay(s).
- The dimensions of other designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) vary in size.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There is not a designated drop-off point.
- There are parking charges for the hospital car park.
- Payment signs are provided.
- Payment signs are clearly presented.
- Payment signs are located throughout the car park.
- Payment signs do not make it clear if parking charges apply to Blue Badge holders.
- Parking is free for Blue Badge holders.
- Payment machines are located at Entrance F.
- There is a payment machine at a convenient height for wheelchair users.
- There is not a level turning space (minimum 185cm x 210cm) in front of the payment machine(s).
- To see the hospital parking charges please click here (opens new tab).
Access to the Hospital
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is/are uneven surfaces.
- The hospital entrance is clearly visible from the car park.
- The nearest designated Blue Badge parking bay is approximately 6m (6yd 1ft) from the Entrance D.
- There is free parking for Blue Badge holders provided a valid Blue Badge is clearly displayed on the windscreen of the vehicle.
Getting To (Spice of Life)
- Spice of Life is/are located on the ground floor of the hospital.
- Access to Spice of Life is via the Entrance D.
- Enter via Entrance D and turn right. Proceed down the corridor and the Spice of Life is located on the right.
- There is step free access to Spice of Life.
- Spice of Life is approximately 27m from the Entrance D.
- There is a/are manual, heavy, double door(s) between the Entrance D and the department/service.
- Wayfinding signage is provided.
Outside Access (Entrance D)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the hospital site next to the Front Car Park.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed.
- There is ramped/sloped access at this entrance.
- There is not a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- The entrance door(s) does/do contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically.
- The door(s) is/are double width.
- The width of the door opening is 136cm.
- There is a small lip on the threshold of the entrance, with a height of 1.5cm or below.
- The ramp/slope is located in front of the entrance.
- The ramp/slope gradient is slight.
- Please contact the venue for details of opening times.
Entrance (Spice of Life)
- This information is for the entrance located on the ground floor of the hospital.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed with the name of the service/department.
- There is step free access at this entrance.
- The main door(s) open(s) away from you (push).
- The door(s) is/are single width.
- The door(s) is/are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 84cm.
- There is level access once inside.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- This venue does not play background music.
- Wayfinding signage is not available.
- The type of flooring in walkways and corridors is carpet.
- The lighting levels are medium.
Eating and Drinking (Spice of Life)
- The following information is for the restaurant.
- Full table service is not available.
- Food or drinks are ordered from the service counter.
- Food or drinks can be brought to the table.
- Some tables are permanently fixed.
- No chairs are permanently fixed.
- No chairs have armrests.
- The nearest table is approximately 2m (2yd 7in) from the Spice of Life entrance.
- The distance between the floor and the lowest table is 70cm (2ft 4in).
- The distance between the floor and the highest table is 80cm (2ft 7in).
- Plastic / takeaway cups are available.
- Plastic / takeaway cutlery is available.
- Drinking straws are not available.
- There is ample room for a wheelchair user to manoeuvre.
- Menus are hand held only.
- Menus are not available in Braille.
- Menus are not available in large print.
- Picture menus are not available.
- Menus are clearly written.
- Menus are presented in contrasting colours.
- The type of food served here is hot and cold meals and snacks.
- Accessible toilet facilities are not available.
- The nearest accessible toilet is located just outside the Spice of Life.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are not available.
- The nearest standard toilet is located just outside the Spice of Life.
Related Access Guides
- To view other access guides that are related to this one please use the links below.
- Amersham Hospital Building link (new tab) - click here.