- The information in this section was taken in June 2021.
- There is not a member of staff available at the entrance.
- There is hand sanitiser available at the entrance.
- The hand sanitisers are wall mounted.
- Hand sanitisers are available inside the venue.
- There is a Track and Trace system in place.
- There is a limited number of people allowed inside.
- There is not a one-way system throughout.
- There is clear signage inside to help with social distancing.
- There are protective clear screens located at desks/counters.
- Toilets are available.
- For more information about the measures in place for Covid-19 please click here (new tab) .
- St Charles Hospital Mental Health Centre is situated to the north of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. The hospital is located on Exmoor Street and is accessed via Ladbroke Grove and St Charles Square from the east or Barlby Road from the north.
- Blue Badge and standard parking is located on site.
- The nearest bus stops are Barlby Gardens (Stop P and Q). They are located on either side of Barlby Road and approximately 150m from the service. The 70 and 316 services stop here.
- The nearest station is Kensal Green. The hospital is 1 mile (5 min drive) from the train station via Harrow Road, Ladbroke Grove and Barlby Road.
- The nearest underground station is Ladbroke Grove. The hospital is 0.5 miles (3 min drive) from the underground station via Ladbroke Grove and St Charles Square. The underground station is served by the Circle and Hammersmith and City lines.
- Please see the link below for up to date London transport.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
Getting Help and Assistance
- The alternative formats documents can be provided in include; Braille on request, large print on request and Makaton on request.
- The venue does have a dedicated car park.
- The car park is located in front of the building.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- The car park does not have a barrier control system.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is not a/are not Blue Badge parking bay(s) available.
- There are parking charges for the car park.
- Payment signs are provided.
- Payment signs are clearly presented.
- Payment signs are located at the payment machines in the car park.
- Payment signs do not make it clear if parking charges apply to Blue Badge holders.
- Parking is free for Blue Badge holders.
- Payment machines are located throughout the car park.
- There is not a payment machine at a convenient height for wheelchair users.
- There is a level turning space (minimum 185cm x 210cm) in front of the payment machine(s).
Access from the Car Park
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is / are slopes/ramps.
- The entrance is clearly visible from the car park.
- The surface on the approach to the entrance is paving slabs.
- There is no tactile paving on dropped kerbs between the car park and the entrance.
Outside Access (Nightingale House Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed.
- There is ramped/sloped access at this entrance.
- There is not a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- The entrance door(s) does/do contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- There is an intercom but it is not at a convenient height for wheelchair users to gain access.
- There is a door release button but it is not at a convenient height for wheelchair users to exit.
- The main door(s) open(s) away from you (push).
- The door(s) is/are double width but one door is locked.
- The door(s) is/are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 66cm.
- There is a small lip on the threshold of the entrance, with a height of 2cm or below.
- The ramp/slope is located to the left and right side as you face the entrance.
- The ramp/slope gradient is moderate.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- There is a/are handrail(s) at the ramp.
- The handrail(s) is/are on the left going up.
- The reception point is located to the left as you enter.
- The reception point is approximately 2m (2yd 7in) from the Nightingale House main entrance.
- The reception area/desk is clearly visible from the entrance.
- There is step free access to the reception point.
- There is a clear unobstructed route to the reception point.
- There are not windows, glazed screens or mirrors behind the reception point which could adversely affect the ability of someone to lip read.
- The reception counter is not placed in front of a background which is patterned.
- The lighting levels at the reception point are good.
- The height of the reception counter is medium height (77cm - 109cm).
- There is sufficient space to write or sign documents on the counter.
- There is not a low section of the counter (76cm or below) available.
- The counter is staffed.
- There is a hearing assistance system.
- The type of system is a fixed loop.
- The hearing assistance system is signed.
- Staff are not trained to use the system.
- Signs and universally accepted symbols or pictograms, indicating lifts, stairs, WCs, circulation routes and other parts of the building are not provided in the reception area.
Reception Waiting Area
- There is a waiting area close to the reception point.
- Access to the waiting area is unobstructed.
- The type of flooring is vinyl/laminate.
- There is not sufficient space for a wheelchair user to use the waiting area.
- There is bench seating only.
- No tables are permanently fixed.
- The waiting room / area does not have background music playing.
- There is not a flashing fire alarm beacon within the waiting room / area.
- There is not a television.
- Vending machines are not available.
- A water dispenser is not available.
- There is not a play area or toys/books for a child to play with.
- There is not space for an assistance dog to rest within the seating area.
- Lighting levels are medium.
- There is not level access once inside.
- This venue does not play background music.
- Motorised scooters are not allowed in public parts of the venue.
- Wayfinding signage is available.
- The type of flooring in walkways and corridors is vinyl/laminate.
- There is flooring in corridors which is shiny and could cause issues with glare or look slippery to some people.
- The lighting levels are varied.
Level Change (Reception Area)
- There is a/are step(s) to access this area/service.
- The step(s) is/are located to the right as you enter.
- There is/are 3 step(s) to the area/service.
- The step(s) is/are clearly marked.
- The step(s) is/are medium height (11cm - 17cm).
- There is a/are handrail(s) at the step(s).
- The handrail(s) is/are on both sides.
- The lighting levels at the step(s) are medium.
- There is a lift to access this area/service.
- The lift does bypass the step(s).
- Signs indicating the location of the stairs are not clearly visible from the entrance.
- There are manual, single doors which may be difficult to open to exit the stairwell on the first floor.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are G,1,2.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The height of the step(s) is/are between the recommended 15cm and 18cm.
- The going of the step(s) is/are not between the recommended 30cm and 45cm.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on the right going up.
- Handrails are not at the recommended height (90cm-100cm).
- Handrails do cover the flight of stairs throughout its length.
- Handrails are easy to grip.
- Handrails do not extend horizontally beyond the first and last steps.
- There is a landing.
- Clear signs indicating the facilities on each floor of the building are not provided on landings.
- The lighting levels are good.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located straight ahead of you as you enter.
- Signs indicating the location of this lift are clearly visible from the entrance.
- The lift is approximately 5m (5yd 1ft) from the Main Entrance.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- Staff do not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are LG,G,1,2.
- Clear signs indicating the facilities on each floor are provided on lift lobby landings.
- There is a clear level manoeuvring space of 150cm × 150cm in front of the lift.
- Lift doors do contrast visually with lift lobby walls.
- The external controls for the lift are within 90cm - 110cm from the floor.
- The colour contrast between the external lift controls and the control plate is good.
- The colour contrast between the external lift control plate and the wall is good.
- The clear door width is 80cm (2ft 7in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 110cm x 140cm (3ft 7in x 4ft 7in).
- There are separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is not a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- There is a list of floor services available within the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does not have an audible announcer.
- The internal controls for the lift are within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- There is not a hearing loop system.
- The lift does have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The lighting level in the lift is good.
- There are not accessible toilet facilities within this venue.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are not available.
Related Access Guides
- To view other access guides that are related to this one please use the links below.
- St Charles Hospital Mental Health Centre link (new tab) - click here.