- The venue is situated outside the centre of the town.
- This venue is situated in Sandy.
- The venue is situated on a road which has a steep gradient.
- There is not a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
- The nearest mainline station is Sandy.
- The information in this section was taken in February 2021.
- The visitor centre, shop and view points are currently closed due to Covid-19. But the nature trails remain open.
- For more information about the measures in place for Covid-19 please click here (new tab) .
Opening Times (Shop)
- Monday 09:00 - 17:00.
- Tuesday 09:00 - 17:00.
- Wednesday 09:00 - 17:00.
- Thursday 09:00 - 17:00.
- Friday 09:00 - 17:00.
- Saturday 10:00 - 17:00.
- Sunday 10:00 - 17:00.
- The reserve is open dawn to dusk.
- The venue does have its own car park.
- Parking is not free for all users.
- Parking is not free for Blue Badge holders.
- The car park is at the front of the venue.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- There are 0 designated parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is / are loose chippings.
- The car park surface is loose chippings.
- The patron does not have to cross a road.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the shop building.
- There is not level access into the venue.
- The main doors open away from you (push).
- The doors are single width.
- The doors are heavy.
- The door opening is 94cm (3ft 1in) wide.
Level Change (Main Entrance)
- There is a ramp or slope to access this service.
- The ramp or slope is located to the right as you face the entrance.
- The ramp or slope is moderate.
- The ramp or slope is permanent.
- The width of the ramp or slope is 120cm (3ft 11in).
- The reception desk is 1m (3ft 3in) from the main entrance.
- There is level access to reception from the entrance.
- The reception desk is medium height.
- The desk does not have a lowered section.
- Lighting levels are bright.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- There is level access to the service.
- This venue does not play background music.
- Motorised scooters are allowed in public parts of the venue.
- Lighting levels are bright.
Nature Reserve - Buzzard Trail
- The yellow path is the most accessible of the nature reserve paths and can be accessed from the road next to the main car park.
- The path is wide and has a compact earth surface with only easy slopes.
- The underlying sand base means that the paths do not become muddy.
- The yellow path connects the shop building and the Lodge HQ, via the meadow hide.
Nature Reserve - Other Paths
- The paths are undulating and there are some stepped sections, particularly around the Nuthatch Trail.
- Accessible toilet facilities are available.
Location and Access
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- This accessible toilet is approximately 40m (43yd 2ft) from the main entrance.
- This accessible toilet is located in an outbuilding close to the shop.
- There is not level access to this accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a shared toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a locking handle.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 86cm (2ft 10in).
- The door is easy to open.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 195cm x 144cm (6ft 5in x 4ft 9in).
- There is not sufficient turning space in the cubicle for a wheelchair user.
- There is not a lateral transfer space.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is not fully functional.
- The alarm was out of reach (higher than 10cm (4") from floor) when surveyed.
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- There is a/are coat hook(s).
Position of Fixtures
- Wall mounted grab rails are available for the toilet.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There is not a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- There is a mirror.
- Mirrors are placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 47cm (1ft 7in).
- There is a hand dryer.
- The hand dryer can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The hand dryer is placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- The height of the hand dryer is 107cm (3ft 6in).
- There is not a towel dispenser.
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
- The height of the wash basin is 81cm (2ft 8in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are good.
Level Change (Accessible Toilet)
- There is a ramp/slope to access this area/service.
- The ramp/slope is located on the paths leading to the accessible toilet.
- The ramp/slope is easy.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- The width of the ramp/slope is 120cm (3ft 11in).
- There is a 2cm gap between the end of the ramp and the wooden threshold in the toilet doorway.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are available.
Access to Standard Female and Male Toilet(s)
- The female and male toilet facilities that were surveyed are located in an outbuilding close to the shop.
- The female and male toilets are approximately 40m (43yd 2ft) from the main entrance.
- Inside the venue, there is not level access to the female and male toilets.
- Lighting levels in the female and male toilets are good.
Baby Change Facilities
- Baby change facilities are located within the venue.
Level Change (Standard Toilets)
- There are steps to access this area / service.
- The steps are located in the doorway of each toilet.
- There is / are 1 step(s) to the area / service.
- The steps are not clearly marked.
- The steps are deep.
- The steps do not have handrails.
- Staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Documents are not available in Braille.
- Documents are available in large print.
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is not generally on duty.
- Staff are not Text Relay aware.