Getting Help and Assistance
- For a map of the racecourse please click here (new tab).
- There is a member of staff available for help and assistance.
- Staff receive disability awareness/equality training.
- There is not a member of staff trained in British Sign Language.
- Staff do not receive deaf awareness training.
- British Sign Language interpreters can be provided on request.
- The alternative formats documents can be provided in include; Braille on request and large print on request.
- There is not an assistance dog toilet or toileting area at the venue/nearby.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are available.
- There are not mobility aids available.
- There are hearing induction loops available. There are fixed loops and portable loops available. Please contact the racecourse for more information.
- The racecourse is just a few minutes from Epsom Town Centre on the B290 Epsom Downs Road or alternatively just off junction 9 of the M25. During the racing season, AA signs will mark all major approach routes. If you are using satellite navigation, please use the postcode KT18 5LQ.
- There is plenty of on-site car parking available for all conferences and events held at Epsom Downs Racecourse. During racedays car parking is available at various car parks on-site. Car parks are clearly signed with prices from £5.
- There is a bus stop within 150 metres of the venue.
- Metrobus operates a 460, 480 and 406F service which runs from Epsom Town Centre to Tattenham Corner Station. It is an easy way to reach the racecourse in just 3 stops.
- For more information on Metrobus please click here (opens new tab).
- The nearest Railway Station is Tattenham Corner Station and Epsom Station.
- Epsom station is connected by both South West Trains and Southern Trains. Connections from London Waterloo and London Victoria. Take a 10 minute taxi or bus ride from the station. Please note that during The Investec Derby Festival a shuttle bus service runs from Epsom station. Tattenham Corner Station. Approximately 1/2 mile walk to the racecourse. Epsom Downs Station. Approximately 1 mile walk to the racecourse.
- For more information on National Rail please click here (opens new tab).
Outside Access (Course Office)
- This information is for the entrance located opposite the Duchess's Stand Entrance 4.
- The entrance area/door is not clearly signed.
- There is step-free access at this entrance.
- There is not a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- The entrance door(s) does not/do not contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- The main door(s) open(s) towards you (pull).
- The door(s) is/are double width.
- The door(s) may be difficult to open.
- The width of the door opening is 160cm.
- The reception point is located to the left after the entrance.
- The reception area/desk is clearly visible from the entrance.
- There is step-free access to the reception point.
- There is a clear unobstructed route to the reception point.
- There are no windows, TVs, glazed screens or mirrors behind the reception point which could adversely affect the ability of someone to lip read.
- The counter is placed in front of a plain background.
- The lighting levels at the reception point are good.
- There is sufficient space to write or sign documents on the counter.
- There is a clear knee recess beneath the lowered section of the counter.
- The clear knee recess has the recommended dimensions of 70cm (height) x 50cm (depth).
- The counter is staffed.
- There is a hearing assistance system at the reception point.
- The type of system is a fixed loop.
- The hearing assistance system is signed.
- Staff are trained to use the system.
- The type of flooring in the reception area is tiles.
Reception Seating Area
- There is a waiting area close to the reception point.
- Access to the waiting area is unobstructed.
- There is sufficient space for a wheelchair user to use the waiting area.
Accessible Toilet(s) (Course Office)
- There is an/are accessible toilet(s) for public use.
Location and Access
- The accessible toilet surveyed is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- This accessible toilet is located to the right of the reception desk.
- There is step-free access to the accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a shared toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- There is Braille, tactile and pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is light.
- The door is locked by a lever twist.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 87cm (2ft 10in).
- The door has a horizontal grab rail.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 165cm x 220cm (5ft 5in x 7ft 3in).
- The accessible toilet does have an unobstructed minimum turning space of 150cm x 150cm.
- The toilet has a non-slip floor.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the right.
- The lateral transfer space is 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- There is a spatula type lever flush.
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is an emergency alarm.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is not fully functional.
- The emergency pull cord alarm was out of reach (higher than 10cm (4") from floor) when surveyed.
- There is not a flashing fire alarm beacon within the toilet.
- Disposal facilities are available in the toilet.
- There is a/are female sanitary and general domestic waste disposal units.
- There is a/are coat hook(s).
- The height of the coat hook is 160cm from the floor.
Position of Fixtures
- There is a/are wall-mounted grab rail(s) available.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rail(s) is/are on both sides.
- There is a vertical wall-mounted grab rail on the transfer side.
- There is a horizontal wall-mounted grab rail on the opposite side of the seat to the transfer space.
- There is a mirror.
- The mirror is placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- There is not a shelf next to the toilet.
- The toilet has a cistern.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 48cm (1ft 7in).
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
- There are vertical wall-mounted grab rails on both sides of the wash basin.
- The wash basin tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- Taps have clear markings to indicate hot and cold settings.
- There is a soap dispenser.
- The soap dispenser can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The height of the soap dispenser is 100cm.
- There is not a towel dispenser.
- There is a hand dryer.
- The hand dryer can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The hand dryer is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is good.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is good.
- The toilet seat colour contrast is good.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are good.
- Standard toilet facilities are not available.
Related Access Guides
- To view other AccessAble access guides that are related to this one please use the links below.
- Getting around the Racecourse link (new tab) - click here.
- Betting Counters around the Racecourse link (new tab) - click here.