- The information in this section was taken in January 2021.
- For more information about the measures in place for Covid-19 please click here (new tab) .
Introduction (Route Information)
- The distance of the route is approximately 310m and should take approximately 7.2 minutes. There are easy slopes and ramps as part of the route by-passing steps. The surface along the route includes multi-coloured granite, tarmac, polished stone tiling and carpet. The route is from the main entrance by the William Harley Building, up the slope and across the main path. It then continues down past the Hamish Wood Building and The Saltire Centre on the right. It then crosses the Blue Badge parking area to enter the Charles Oakley Laboratories Building via the Carnegie Lecture Theatre entrance. The Carnegie Lecture Theatre is on the ground floor of the building.
- Buchannan Bus Station is located on the other side of Cowcaddens Road from the University. There is both an underpass and a pedestrian crossing with traffic lights to cross Cowcaddens Road to reach the Main Entrance adjacent to the William Harley Building.
Main Entrance Slope
- There is a slope at the campus entrance.
- Along the slope there is the main entrance to the William Harley Building to the right and the Britannia Building to the left. This slope has an easy gradient.
- After 30m from the beginning of the slope the there is a railing to the right of the slope.
- To the left at this point there is the entrance into the Britannia Building.
Main Entrance Slope to Corner of Hamish Wood Building
- At the top of the slope continue straight across the main path to the Hamish Wood Building directly in front.
- The distance to the corner is approximately 25m and the path has an easy slope.
- The surface is uneven with multi coloured granite tile paving.
- There are pillars to the left in front of the Hamish Wood Building.
- To the right there is fixed bench seating on a low wall in front of a grass bank.
Corner of Hamish Wood Building to Link Bridge
- The next section from the corner of the building to the link bridge is approximately 80m.
- The surface is uneven with multi-coloured granite tile paving then tarmac.
- From the top of the slope continue straight down the path, with the Hamish Wood Building to your left and a grass bank to your right.
- After 20m the path forks.
- Just before the fork there are metal inspection covers in the paving and a lamppost at the edge of the grass bank.
- Take the left fork to follow the path between the building on your left and a raised grass bank on your right.
- There is a raised round inspection cover which is a trip hazard.
- At the building entrance care should be taken as the doors open outwards automatically toward you.
- Continue past entrance down the path. The wall steps out at this point as the paving changes to tarmac.
- Straight on for 30m past the spiral staircase on your right, between the Hamish Wood Building on the left and the Saltire Centre on the right.
- The tarmac path is uneven with raised kerbs on each side.
- Continue until you reach the end of the Hamish Wood Building on your left, at the bridge over between Hamish Wood Building on the left and the Saltire Centre on the right.
Link Bridge to rear of Saltire Centre
- The next section from the bridge to the rear of the Saltire Centre is approximately 35m.
- The surface is tarmac and uneven with a raised metal inspection cover.
- From the bridge bear left to follow the path to the rear of the building.
- There is a raised kerb to the right of the path.
- The Hamish Wood Building North Entrance on the left.
- After 15m turn right to follow the path past the service yard on the left and the rear staff entrance of the Saltire Centre to the right.
- To the right of the path the raised kerb continues.
- On the left there is a kerb edge to the yard. Then there is a raised kerb and pillars as you pass under the building overhang.
- Continue to the rear corner before turning right.
Rear of Saltire Centre to Ramped Entrance
- The next section from rear of the Saltire Centre to the ramped entrance at the Charles Oakley Building is approximately 70m.
- The surface is tarmac and uneven and concrete at the ramped / stepped entrance.
- Turn right at the corner of the building past the first pillar.
- After 8m turn left to follow the angled path toward the Charles Oakley Building.
- The path then continues to the car park service road. There are raised kerbs to each side with grass to the left and flower beds to the right.
- After 25m, at the road, there is a dropped kerb with a slight 3cm step.
- Cross the road via the zebra markings. The tarmac on the road is cracked and uneven. The road is about 20m wide at this point.
- Bear left at the end to enter the building by the ramped access or right to use the steps.
Outside Access (Carnegie Lecture Theatre)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front left of the building in the Blue Badge car parking area.
- There is ramped/sloped or stepped access at this entrance.
- There is a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically (towards you).
- The door(s) is/are push pad activated.
- The door(s) is / are double.
- The width of the door opening is 140cm (4ft 7in).
- There is a small lip on the threshold of the entrance, with a height of 2cm or below.
Second Set of Doors
- There is a second set of doors.
- The door(s) open(s) towards you (pull).
- The door(s) is / are double.
- The door(s) is / are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 136cm (4ft 6in).
- There is a ramp/slope at this entrance.
- The ramp/slope is located to the left as you face the entrance.
- The ramp or slope does bypass the step(s).
- The ramp/slope gradient is easy.
- The ramp is permanent.
- There is a level landing at the top of the ramp.
- The ramp does have handrails.
- The handrails are on the right going up.
- The width of the ramp is 119cm (3ft 11in).
- There is a / are step(s) at this entrance.
- The step(s) is / are located in front of the entrance.
- There is / are 3 step(s) to access the entrance.
- There is not tactile paving at the top and bottom of the step(s).
- The step(s) is / are not clearly marked.
- The step(s) is / are medium (11cm - 17cm).
- The steps do have handrails.
- The handrails are on both sides.
Building Entrance to Lecture Theatre
- From the outside entrance to the lecture theatre the distance is about 15m.
- The floor is carpeted until the entrance to the lecture theatre. The flooring within the lecture theatre is vinyl.
- Upon entering the outside entrance, enter the entrance lobby.
- The entrance to the lecture theatre is 10m to the right past a pillar.
- The doors to the lecture theatre are double, heavy and open toward you (pull). The clear opening width is 137cm.
- The wheelchair spaces are in the front row of the seating.