COVID-19 Information (Heriot Watt University)
- Services / facilities within the building include School of the Built Environment.
- The venue is situated outside the centre of the city.
- This venue is situated in the Riccarton Campus.
- The nearest mainline station is Curriehill.
- There is a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
- The Riccarton Campus is located on the western edge of Edinburgh.
- The venue does have its own car park.
- Parking is free for all users.
Venue Car Park
- The car park is located true.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do need to be booked in advance.
- There is/are 1 Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the Blue Badge parking bay(s) are 400cm x 500cm (13ft 1in x 16ft 5in).
- The nearest Blue Badge bay is 27m (29yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is / are slopes/ramps.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- There is not a designated drop off point.
- There are additional standard parking bays in the car park located to the right of the entrance.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the side of the building.
- There is not level access into the venue.
- The main door(s) open(s) towards you (pull).
- The door(s) is / are double.
- The door(s) is / are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 164cm (5ft 5in).
Level Change (Main Entrance)
- There is a ramp/slope to access this area/service.
- The ramp/slope is located in front of the entrance.
- The ramp/slope is moderate.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- There is a/are step(s) to access this area/service.
- The step(s) is/are located to the right of the ramp.
- There is/are 18 step(s) to the area/service.
- The lighting levels at the step(s) are medium.
- The step(s) is/are not clearly marked.
- The step(s) is/are medium height (11cm - 17cm).
- There is a/are handrail(s) at the step(s).
- The handrail(s) is/are on both sides.
- The slope is used to bypass the steps.
- There is level access to the service(s).
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- The lighting levels are bright.
- Motorised scooters are allowed in public parts of the venue.
- The Edwin Chadwick Building shares an internal link with the William Arrol Building.
- The library does have computers with accessible software.
- Auxiliary aids are not available for computer users.
- Equipment available for people with a visual impairment includes Zoom Text.
- Other accessible software, auxiliary aids and adapted equipment for people with disabilities can be requested as and when necessary.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are 1-2-3.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The lighting levels are low.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps are medium (11cm - 17cm).
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- There is a landing.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located to the left as you enter the building.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are 1-2-3.
- Wall mounted information boards are provided at lift landings.
- The lift is approximately 5m (5yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- Staff do not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The clear door width is 85cm (2ft 9in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 130cm x 150cm (4ft 3in x 4ft 11in).
- There are not separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is not a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does have an audible announcer.
- The lift does have a hearing loop system.
- The lift does not have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The controls for the lift are within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- The lighting level in the lift is medium.
- There are accessible toilet facilities within this venue.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- This accessible toilet is approximately 32m (34yd 2ft) from the main entrance.
- This accessible toilet is located on level 2 on the link bridge between the Edwin Chadwick building with the William Arrol building.
- There is level access to this accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens inwards.
- The door is locked by a twist lock.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 84cm (2ft 9in).
- The door is light.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 180cm x 319cm (5ft 11in x 10ft 6in).
- There is a clear 150cm x 150cm manoeuvring space in the accessible toilet.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the left.
- The lateral transfer space is 99cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush, however it is not on the transfer side.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- There is an emergency pull cord alarm in the cubicle.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is fully functional.
- Disposal facilities are not available in the cubicle.
Position of Fixtures
- Wall-mounted grab rails are available.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There is not a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- There is a mirror.
- Mirrors are placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 45cm (1ft 6in).
- There is not a hand dryer.
- There is a towel dispenser.
- The towel dispenser cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The towel dispenser is placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- The height of the towel dispenser is 122cm (4ft).
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
- The height of the wash basin is 78cm (2ft 7in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is good.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is good.
- The toilet seat colour contrast is poor.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are medium.
- There are standard male and female toilets located at either side of this accessible toilet.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are available.
Access to Standard Female and Male Toilet(s)
- The female and male toilet facilities that were surveyed are located left as you enter, through the double doors.
- The female and male toilets are approximately 81m (88yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- Inside the venue, there is level access to the female and male toilets.
- Lighting levels are medium.
- There are also standard male and female toilets located on level 2 on the corridor linking this building with William Arrol.
- There are staff only standard male and female toilets on level 3.
- Staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Documents can be requested in Braille.
- Documents can be requested in large print.
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is not normally on duty.
- This service can be requested.
- Staff are Text Relay aware.
- SafeZone is a free app based system for students and staff that enhances their personal safety. SafeZone extends the reach of campus safety and security, to cater for the real time needs of the people who use campus every day. It provides a quick and easy way for users to alert SafeGuarding Services, when help or assistance is needed.
- For information about the SafeZone please click here.