- The information in this section was taken in December 2020.
- Parking on some sites is currently free of charge for service users. Please consider all other forms of transport before using public transport.
- There may be one way system in place in some buildings. Please follow the signs to find your clinic area or ask a member of the staff to help you if you are unsure. Remember to stay 2 metres apart.
- When you arrive at the department, go to Reception to mark that you’ve arrived. You will be asked some questions about how you are feeling on the day.
- Do not arrive too early for your appointment and leave the department as soon as your appointment is finished.
- Visits are by prior arrangement only and subject to restriction.
All visitors to the inpatient or community sites, except children and babies under the age of three, will need to wear a face mask at all times. If you don’t have your own, masks can be provided when you arrive on site.
- To ensure the Trust protects you, service users and staff, all visitors to each service will be asked to wear an approved fluid repellent surgical face mask.
Reception staff will ask you to use the hand sanitiser and will provide you with the surgical face mask.
- Please keep the mask/face covering on for the duration of your time in the building and avoid touching your face or adjusting the mask once you’ve put it on.
- If you need to sit and wait in the reception to be called for your appointment, chairs will have signage to indicate where you should sit to ensure social distancing measures are observed.
- All staff wear personal protective equipment when in close contact with you. When your appointment is finished, your health professional will advise you what to do next.
- You should then follow the signs to leave the department. Please do not visit any other part of the building. You should dispose of your mask at the bin by the department exit. If removing your mask, please wash or sanitise your hands after doing so. If removing your mask, please wash or sanitise your hands after doing so.
- For more information about the measures in place for Covid-19 please click here (new tab) .
- Services within the building include: Adult Community Mental Health Services, Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services(CAMHS), Community Mental Health Services for Older People (MHSOP), Community LD Assessment and Treatment Service, CAT Team, Path Team and Wellbeing Team.
- Saffron Ground is situated to the North of Stevenage Town Centre on Ditchmore Lane. The building and can be accessed from the A1 via the A602 and Gates Way.
- Standard and Blue Badge parking is available around the building.
- There nearest bus stop is located on Ditchmore Lane. It is approximately 120m from the clinic. The service that stops at the Ditchmore Lane Stop is the number 11.
- The nearest station to Saffron Ground is Stevenage. Saffron Ground is 0.5 miles from the train station via the A602 and Gates Way (3 min drive).
- Please see the link below for up to date train times.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
- Please see the link below for up to date bus times.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
Getting Help and Assistance
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is not normally on duty.
- British Sign Language interpreters can be provided on request.
- Language interpreters can be provided on request.
- The alternative formats documents can be provided in include; Braille on request, large print on request, different languages on request and audio on request.
- There is a wheelchair to borrow to aid transferring around the building.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are not available.
Parking (Permit and Blue Badge holders only)
- The venue does have a dedicated car park.
- The car parking facilities are for Blue Badge holders only.
- The car park is located in front and at the rear of the building.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- The car park does not have a barrier control system.
- There is a/are Blue Badge parking bay(s) available.
- The Blue Badge bay(s) is/are clearly marked.
- There is/are 2 designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) surveyed are 490cm x 490cm (16ft 1in x 16ft 1in).
- There is not a 120cm hatched zone around the Blue Badge parking bay(s).
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There are not parking charges for the car park.
Access from the Car Park
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is / are slopes/ramps.
- The entrance is clearly visible from the car park.
- The surface on the approach to the entrance is block paving.
- There is no tactile paving on dropped kerbs between the car park and the entrance.
- The nearest designated Blue Badge parking bay is approximately 4m (4yd 1ft) from the Main Entrance.
Getting To (First Floor Offices)
- The First Floor Offices is/are located on the first floor of Saffron Ground, to the left on exiting the lift.
- Access to the First Floor Offices is via the Main Entrance.
- Enter the building via the Main Entrance and continue ahead. Go through the single door located on the right into the lift lobby. Take the lift to the first floor. Exit the lift, turn left and the First Floor Office entrance is located directly ahead.
- There is step free access, via lift, to the First Floor Offices.
- The First Floor Offices is approximately 3m from the lift.
- Wayfinding signage is not provided.
- There is some flooring in corridors which is shiny and could cause issues with glare or look slippery to some people.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed.
- There is ramped/sloped access at this entrance.
- There is not a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- The entrance door(s) does not/do not contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically.
- The automatic door(s) is/are push pad activated.
- The door(s) is/are double width but one door is locked.
- The width of the door opening is 90cm.
- There is a small lip on the threshold of the entrance, with a height of 1.5cm or below.
- The ramp/slope is located in front of the entrance.
- The ramp/slope gradient is slight.
- Signs indicating the location of the stairs are not clearly visible from the entrance.
- There are manual, heavy, single doors to enter and exit the stairwell on all floors.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are G,1,2,3.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The height of the step(s) is/are between the recommended 15cm and 18cm.
- The going of the step(s) is/are not between the recommended 30cm and 45cm.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on the right going up.
- Handrails are at the recommended height (90cm-100cm).
- Handrails do cover the flight of stairs throughout its length.
- Handrails are easy to grip.
- Handrails do not extend horizontally beyond the first and last steps.
- There is a landing.
- Clear signs indicating the facilities on each floor of the building are not provided on landings.
- The lighting levels are varied.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located straight ahead and to the right on entering.
- Signs indicating the location of this lift are not clearly visible from the entrance.
- The lift is approximately 16m (17yd 1ft) from the Main Entrance.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- Staff do not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are G,1,2,3.
- There is a clear level manoeuvring space of 150cm × 150cm in front of the lift.
- Lift doors do contrast visually with lift lobby walls.
- The external controls for the lift are not within 90cm - 110cm from the floor.
- The colour contrast between the external lift controls and the control plate is poor.
- The colour contrast between the external lift control plate and the wall is good.
- The clear door width is 80cm (2ft 7in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 108cm x 139cm (3ft 7in x 4ft 7in).
- There are not separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- There is not a list of floor services available within the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does not have an audible announcer.
- The internal controls for the lift are within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- There is not a hearing loop system.
- The lift does not have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The lighting level in the lift is good.
- Monday 09:00 - 17:00.
- Tuesday 09:00 - 17:00.
- Wednesday 09:00 - 17:00.
- Thursday 09:00 - 17:00.
- Friday 09:00 - 17:00.
- Saturday Closed.
- Sunday Closed.
Entrance (First Floor Office)
- This information is for the entrance located on the first floor of Saffron Ground.
- The entrance area/door is not clearly signed with the name of the service/department.
- There is step free access at this entrance.
- There is a bell/buzzer.
- The height of the bell/buzzer is 110cm (3ft 7in).
- There is not an intercom.
- There is a hand sanitiser.
- The height of the hand sanitiser is 125cm (4ft 1in).
- There is a door release button when exiting.
- The height of the door release button is 130cm (4ft 3in).
- The main door(s) open(s) towards you (pull).
- The door(s) is/are single width with a locked extension leaf.
- The door(s) is/are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 78cm.
- There is level access once inside.
- There is a hearing assistance system.
- The hearing assistance system is available only on request.
- The system is a portable loop.
- Staff are trained to use the system.
- This venue does not play background music.
- Wayfinding signage is not available.
- The type of flooring in walkways and corridors is carpet.
- The lighting levels are bright.
- Accessible toilet facilities are not available.
- The nearest accessible toilet is located on the ground floor.
- Standard toilet facilities are available.
Access to Standard Female and Male Toilet(s)
- The female and male toilet facilities that were surveyed are located to the right on entering.
- The female and male toilets are approximately 4m (4yd 1ft) from the Main Entrance.
- Inside the venue, there is level access to the female and male toilets.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- An ambulant toilet with wall mounted grab rails is available.
- There is a horizontal grab rail to the left of the seat.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is not a flashing fire alarm beacon within the toilets.
- Lighting levels are low to moderate.
Related Access Guides
- To view other DisabledGo access guides that are related to this one please use the links below.
- Saffron Ground - Main Building and Adult Mental Health Services link (new tab) - click here.