- Services / facilities within the building include a cafe, gift shop, classroom, meeting room and access to House Mill.
- Services / facilities within the grounds include the garden.
- Related link House Mill.
- Miller's House is the base for the River Lea Tidal Mill Trust, which is also responsible for the adjacent historic House Mill.
- Access to House Mill is through Miller's House.
- The classroom and meeting room are available to hire by outside groups.
- This venue is situated in Bromley-by-Bow.
- The venue is in a pedestrian area.
- There is not a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
- The nearest mainline station is West Ham.
- The nearest underground station is Bromley-by-Bow.
- Bow Church DLR station is also close by.
- Vehicles are only permitted onto Three Mills Island by special arrangement.
- Please see the parking section for details.
Opening Times (Tours)
- Please contact the venue for details of opening times.
- The House Mill is open every Sunday from May to October from 11am - 4pm and on the first Sundays in March, April and December, the last tour is at 3.30 pm.
- Tours for specialist groups can be arranged at other times, at a cost of £3 per person, with a minimum of eight people.
Opening Times (Cafe)
- Monday 10:00 - 15:00.
- Tuesday 10:00 - 15:00.
- Wednesday 10:00 - 15:00.
- Thursday 10:00 - 15:00.
- Friday 10:00 - 15:00.
- Saturday Closed.
- Sunday Closed.
- In addition to week day opening times the cafe is also open at weekends during tours.
- The venue does not have its own car park.
Public Car Parks
- There is a car park for public use within 200m (approx).
- The name of the car park is Tesco car park.
- The car park is located off the A12 southbound, via Hancock Road.
On Street Blue Badge Parking
- On street marked Blue Badge bays are not available.
On Street Standard Parking
- Clearly signed and / or standard marked parking bays are not available.
- Vehicles are not normally permitted across the bridge onto Three Mills Island.
- House Mill and Miller's House have an agreement for visitors to use the Tesco car park.
- Visitors intending to stay longer than 3 hours should give their vehicle details to the Tesco customer services desk.
- For pre-booked events this can be done in advance by Miller's House.
- From the Tesco car park, the route to the venue involves moderate and steep slopes.
- The road surface is cobbled.
- By arrangement, the barrier can be raised to alllow visitors with mobility difficulties to be driven onto the island and dropped off close to the building.
- The bollards can also be moved if necessary.
Outside Access (Main Entrance - MIller's House)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building.
- There is level access into the venue.
- The intercom is not in a suitable position to allow wheelchair users to gain access.
- The main doors open away from you (push).
- The doors are single width.
- The doors are heavy.
- The door opening is 106cm (3ft 6in) wide.
- There is level access to the service.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- This venue does not play background music.
- Motorised scooters are allowed in public parts of the venue.
- The lighting levels are varied.
- Access to the upper floors of the House Mill is at the discretion of the guides.
- Visitors with mobility difficulties must be accompanied by a companion able to assist with evacuation in an emergency.
- Some mobility scooters may be too heavy to be permitted in the hisitoric building.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are G-1-2-3.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The steps are not clearly marked.
- The steps are medium.
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- There is a landing.
- The lighting levels are medium.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located to the left of the ground floor foyer area.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are 1-2-2a-3-3a.
- The lift is 12m (13yd 4in) from the main entrance.
- Staff do not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The clear door width is 90cm (2ft 11in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 125cm x 130cm (4ft 1in x 4ft 3in).
- There are separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does not have an audible announcer.
- The controls for the lift are within reach for a wheelchair user.
- The lift does not have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The lift has doors on both sides.
- Levela 2a and 3a are to indicate the access to the adjacent House Mill.
- When these buttons are pressed, visitors exit the lift by the opposite door and do not need to reverse out.
Eating and Drinking (Cafe)
- Food or drinks are ordered from the service counter.
- Food or drinks can be brought to the table.
- There is not a lowered section at the counter.
- No tables are permanently fixed.
- No chairs are permanently fixed.
- All chairs have armrests.
- The nearest table is 6m (6yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- The distance between the floor and the lowest table is 70cm (2ft 4in).
- There is ample room for a wheelchair user to manoeuvre.
- Plastic / takeaway cups are available.
- Drinking straws are available.
- Menus are hand held and wall.
- Menus are not available in Braille.
- Menus are not available in large print.
- Picture menus are not available.
- Menus are clearly written.
- Menus are presented in contrasting colours.
- The type of food served here is light meals and snacks.
- From the cafe there is level access to an outdoor riverside garden area.
- There are accessible toilets within this venue designated for public use.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is no signage on or near the toilet door.
- The accessible toilet is 4m (4yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- The accessible toilet is located to the left of the café area.
- There is level access to the accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a twist lock.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 90cm (2ft 11in).
- The door weight is heavy.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 160cm x 200cm (5ft 3in x 6ft 7in).
- There is sufficient turning space in the cubicle for a wheelchair user.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the left.
- The lateral transfer space is 88cm (2ft 11in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- There is a functional emergency alarm available.
- It is not a push button style of alarm.
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- There is not a coat hook.
Position of Fixtures
- Wall mounted rails are available.
- As you face the toilet the wall mounted grab rails are on the right.
- There is a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- The shelf is not higher than 95cm (3ft 1in).
- There are mirrors.
- Mirrors are placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 44cm (1ft 5in).
- There is not a hand dryer.
- There is a towel dispenser.
- The towel dispenser cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The towel dispenser is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a sink.
- The sink can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The sink is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the grab rails and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the drop down rails and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are medium.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilets are available.
Access to Standard Shared Toilet(s)
- The unisex toilets are located to the rear left of the cafe area.
- Unisex toilets are 8m (8yd 2ft) from the main entrance.
- Inside the venue, there is level access to the unisex toilet.
- Lighting levels are medium.
Baby Change Facilities
- Baby change facilities are not located within the venue.
- Staff do not receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Documents are not available in Braille.
- Documents are not available in large print.
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is not normally on duty.