- The information in this section was taken in February 2021.
- Academic buildings are generally open between 09:00 and 18:00 hrs and are on swipe card access at all other times. Residential buildings are open to residents by swipe card access only.
- Car Park 12 is currently not in use as it houses an NHS testing centre. There are no restrictions in any of the other car parks though the ANPR system is still in operation so please register if you are parking at the College for the first time.
- Queuing systems are in place for all teaching buildings and will remain until COVID-19 restrictions are lifted - specific details can be obtained from the student app.
- There have been numerous changes to facilitate social distancing and safe queuing. Full details are available on the student app.
- Access has not been reduced for any building and all accessible routes are in place as described in the guides and can still be used.
- Hand sanitising stations have been installed at the entrance to all large buildings where student numbers would preclude everyone washing their hands.
- Teaching space capacities have been reduced though more venues have been put into use.
- Café and restaurant capacities (when these are allowed to open) have also been reduced.
- Study space capacity has been reduced with approximately half the spaces not in use to allow proper social distancing.
- One way systems now exist in some buildings though not all - full details are available on the student app.
- Markings have been added to floors to assist with social distancing and signage is in place on walls and doors identifying routes to and from teaching spaces and reminding people to wear face coverings.
- All counters have a protective screen. All shared study spaces are fitted with dividers.
- Use of the lifts is restricted to those who are moving items or who have issues with using the stairs.
- Signage is present on some smaller toilets asking people to knock and wait before entering.
- Some urinals and sinks in standard toilets have been closed to assist with social distancing.
- Changing areas have reduced capacities.
- COVID marshals are in place to assist at the busier teaching spaces.
- The Campus has NQA COVID secure status which it received in September 2020.
- The College is running an Asymptomatic testing centre for staff and students - located in the picture gallery - intended to help stop the Asymtomatic transmission of COVID-19.
- For more information about the measures in place for Covid-19 please click here (new tab) .
Shared Section (Useful Information)
- The Disabilities and Dyslexia Services Team are located in Founder's East. Go to room FE140. They offer support and information to students with disabilities.
- To see more information on the Disabilities and Dyslexia Services Team please click here (opens new tab).
- Telephone Number: 01784 414 621.
- Email: [email protected].
- The Student Services Centre offers help and advice to all students.
- To see more information on Student Services Centre please click here (opens new tab).
- Telephone Number: 01784 276 641.
- Email: [email protected].
- To see more information on Accommodation please click here (opens new tab).
- Services / facilities within the building include a Bar and Restaurant facility.
- Tommy's is located towards the right of the Student Union.
- Related link Student Union.
- From the M25, exit at junction 13 and follow the A30 towards the Egham bypass. Following this road, continue straight across the first roundabout you encounter and continue on the road, following signs for Royal Holloway University. The entrance is off the A30 on the left as you approach, clearly signposted.
- There is a site/campus car park available for permit holders only.
- There is a bus stop in front of the entrance to the university, along the A30. The bus services that run from this stop are 8, 441, 500, RH1, RH2 and RH3.
- The nearest train station is Egham. From here you can get a bus or taxi to the university. For buses, use services RH1 or RH3.
- The building does not have its own dedicated parking.
Site/Campus Car Park (4)
- The car park is located to the rear of the Students Union.
- The nearest building(s) to this car park is/are Students Union and International Building.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- Designated Blue Badge parking bays are available.
- The Blue Badge bay(s) is/are clearly marked.
- There is/are 6 designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) within this car park.
- The dimensions of the designated parking bay(s) are 370cm x 610cm (12ft 2in x 20ft).
- The dimensions of the designated bays do not vary in size.
Charges and Restrictions
- This car park can be used by permit holders.
- There are no parking charges that apply on the day.
- Signs are provided to give information on parking charges/restrictions.
- Signs are clearly presented.
Drop Off Point
- There is not a designated drop off point in this car park.
Outside Access (Tommy's Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the right hand side of the Student Union.
- There is ramped/sloped access at this entrance.
- There is not a bell/buzzer.
- There is not an intercom.
- There is not a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- The main door(s) open(s) towards you (pull).
- The door(s) is / are double.
- The door(s) is / are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 165cm (5ft 5in).
- There is a small lip on the threshold of the entrance, with a height of 2cm or below.
Second Set of Doors
- There is a second set of doors.
- The door(s) open(s) automatically (towards you).
- The door(s) is / are push pad activated.
- The door(s) is / are double (with one leaf locked).
- The width of the door opening is 95cm (3ft 1in).
- There is a ramp/slope at this entrance.
- The ramp/slope is located in front of the entrance.
- The ramp/slope does not bypass the step(s).
- The ramp/slope gradient is slight.
- The ramp is permanent.
- The second set of doors consists of one automatic door and one manual heavy door. The manual door can be opened to create a width of 190cm.
- There is a third set of doors that consists of one automatic door that opens towards you with a width of 100cm and one manual heavy door. The manual door can be opened to create a width of 200cm.
- There is step free access throughout the area.
- There are not doors in corridors which have to be opened manually.
- There is not clear signage for building facilities/areas in the foyer/reception area.
- There is no directional signage at key points of circulation routes.
- There is flooring in corridors which is shiny and could cause issues with glare or look slippery to some people.
- There is good colour contrast between the walls and floor in all areas.
- The lighting levels are good.
- This building does play background music.
- Music is played throughout the bar and restaurant.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
Eating and Drinking
- The following information is for the café.
- Full table service is not available.
- Food or drinks are ordered from the service counter.
- Food or drinks can be brought to the table.
- Some tables are permanently fixed.
- Some chairs are permanently fixed.
- No chairs have armrests.
- The nearest table is 4m (4yd 1ft) from the Tommy's Entrance.
- The distance between the floor and the lowest table is 67cm (2ft 2in).
- The distance between the floor and the highest table is 110cm (3ft 7in).
- The standard height for tables is 67cm.
- There is ample room for a wheelchair user to manoeuvre.
- Plastic / takeaway cups are available.
- Plastic / takeaway cutlery is available.
- Drinking straws are not available.
- Menus are hand held and wall.
- Menus are not available in Braille.
- Menus are not available in large print.
- Picture menus are not available.
- Menus are clearly written.
- Menus are presented in contrasting colours.
- The type of food served here is burgers and snacks.
- Accessible toilet facilities are available.
Location and Access
- There is no signage on or near the toilet door.
- This accessible toilet is located between the second and third entrance doors at the Tommy's Entrance.
- There is level access to this accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a shared toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a locking handle.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 86cm (2ft 10in).
- The door is light.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 150cm x 200cm (4ft 11in x 6ft 7in).
- There is not a clear 150cm x 150cm manoeuvring space in the accessible toilet.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the right.
- The lateral transfer space is 85cm (2ft 9in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush, however it is not on the transfer side.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- There is an emergency pull cord alarm in the cubicle.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is not fully functional.
- The alarm was out of reach (higher than 10cm (4") from floor) when surveyed.
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- There is a/are female sanitary disposal units.
- There is not a/are not coat hook(s).
Position of Fixtures
- Wall mounted grab rails are available for the toilet.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There is not a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- There is a mirror.
- Mirrors are not placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 48cm (1ft 7in).
- There is a hand dryer.
- The hand dryer cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The hand dryer is placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- The height of the hand dryer is 106cm (3ft 6in).
- There is not a towel dispenser.
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
- There is a soap dispenser.
- The soap dispenser cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The height of the soap dispenser is 104cm.
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is good.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is good.
- The toilet seat colour contrast is poor.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are bright.
Standard Toilet Surveyed
- A male standard toilet was surveyed.
- The toilet surveyed is located between the second and third entrance doors at the Tommy's Entrance.
- There is a female standard toilet in the same location.
- There is step free access to the standard toilet(s) surveyed from the entrance.
- There is not a/are not cubicle(s) suitable for ambulant disabled people in the standard toilet(s) surveyed.
- Lighting levels in the standard toilet surveyed are good.