COVID-19 Information (Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust Covid-19 Information)
- The information in this section was taken in January 2021.
- For more information about the measures in place for Covid-19 please click here (new tab) .
- Security is located in an outbuilding on the hospital site.
- The venue is open 24hrs.
- The venue is situated outside the centre of the city.
- This venue is situated in Birmingham.
- The venue is not situated on a road which has a steep gradient.
- There is a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
- The nearest mainline station is Jewellery Quarter.
Parking (A & E and Oupatients)
- The venue does have its own car park.
- Parking is not free for all users.
- Parking is not free for Blue Badge holders.
- The car park is at the side of the venue.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There are 10+ designated parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the designated parking bay(s) are 470cm x 600cm (15ft 5in x 19ft 8in).
- The nearest designated bay is 180m (197yd) from the security entance.
- The furthest designated bay is 200m (219yd) from the security entance.
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is / are uneven surfaces.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is a dropped kerb / non stepped access from the car park to the venue.
- The dropped kerb does not have tactile paving.
- The patron does have to cross a road.
- The road is generally quiet.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- There is not a designated drop off point.
Outside Access (Security Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the side of the venue.
- There is not level access into the venue.
- The bell is in a suitable position to allow wheelchair users to gain access.
- The intercom is in a suitable position to allow wheelchair users to gain access.
- The main doors open towards you (pull).
- The doors are single width.
- The doors are heavy.
- The door opening is 85cm (2ft 9in) wide.
Level Change (Security Entrance)
- There is a ramp or slope to access this service.
- The ramp or slope is located to the left as you face the entrance.
- The ramp or slope is easy.
- The ramp or slope is permanent.
- There is a level landing at the top of the ramp.
- There is level access to the service.
- There is a hearing assistance system.
- The hearing system is available only on request.
- The system is a portable loop.
- Staff are trained to use the system.
- This venue does not play background music.
- The type of flooring in walkways and corridors is carpet.
- Lighting levels are medium.
Waiting Room / Area
- There is a waiting room / area.
- The waiting room / area is 1m (3ft 3in) from the entrance .
- There is level access into the waiting room / area.
- There is room for a wheelchair user to manoeuvre.
- The type of flooring is carpet.
- No chairs are permanently fixed.
- Chairs with armrests are not available.
- Announcements are in person.
- There is not a television.
- Vending machines are not available.
- There is not a children's play area.
- There is space for an assistance dog to rest.
- Lighting levels are medium.
- There are not accessible toilets within this venue designated for public use.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilets are not available.
Additional Info Health
- Disability awareness / equality training can be provided for hospital staff.
- The most commonly produced documents could be provided in other formats.
- Documents in Braille, large print, audio and different languages format can be requested.
- Assistance dogs are allowed in most areas of the hospital.
- Areas with a high risk from infection, such as intensive care and wards should be contacted in advance before accessing with assistance dogs.
- BSL interpreters can be provided on request.
- Language interpreters can be provided on request.
- Staff are Text Relay aware.
- Switchboard staff are Text Relay aware.
- The mobility aids available include mobile hoists, ceiling tracking hoists, wheelchairs, tri wheel walkers, shower chairs, commodes, walking sticks, walking frames, hoist slings, adjustable beds and crutches.
- Portable hearing loops can be provided on request.