- Related linkhttps://www.accessable.co.uk/.
- Tickets for the Hamlet are purchased from the reception in the learning centre. For more information about the access into the learning centre, please see the access guide above.
- A multimedia guide with subtitled videos of the interiors of the historic buildings as well as additional information about the site is available.
- The "Abbeydale Explorer App" can be downloaded free via the website: www.simt.co.uk/abbeydale-industrial-hamlet.
- The venue has 3 "Pen Friends" which work with the text panels in the exhibitions.
- Monday 10:00 - 16:00.
- Tuesday 10:00 - 16:00.
- Wednesday 10:00 - 16:00.
- Thursday 10:00 - 16:00.
- Friday Closed.
- Saturday Closed.
- Sunday 11:00 - 15:45.
- There is a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
- The nearest National Rail station is Dore and Totley.
- The venue does have its own car park.
- Parking is free for all users.
Venue Car Park
- The car park is located at the front of the learning centre.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There is/are 2 designated parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the designated parking bay(s) are 400cm x 600cm (13ft 1in x 19ft 8in).
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is / are slopes/ramps.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- The patron does not have to cross a road.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
On Street Parking and Drop-off Details.
- There is not a designated drop off point.
- The standard parking bays are located at the rear of the learning centre, the surface of the standard parking bays is loose chippings and there is a steep slope up to the venue.
- There is large Braille and Tactile map at the start of the Hamlet.
- There is a surface path leading around the Hamlet. The path can be uneven in places. There are also some easy slopes on the path.
- There is level access into the Abbeydale Exhibition. There is an easy slope into the Workers Cottage, with one shallow step leading to the back of the cottage and 15+ steps leading to the first floor of the cottage.
- There is level access into the Counting House. There is level access into the Grinding Hull.
- There are 4 steps leading down into the Tilt Forge.
- There are 6 steps leading up to the Crucible Forge. There is one step leading into the Hand Forge.
- There is level access into the Blacking Shop.
- There is one step leading to the Managers House and then there are 15+ steps leading up to the first floor.
- There is a subtitled video display.
- There are lowered level interactive exhibits available.
- There are guided tours available.
- Accessible toilet facilities are available.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- This accessible toilet is located next to the designated Blue Badge bays.
- There is not level access to this accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is required for the accessible toilet.
- The key is not a radar key.
- The key can be obtained from a member of staff.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a lever twist.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 85cm (2ft 9in).
- The door is heavy.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 190cm x 210cm (6ft 3in x 6ft 11in).
- There is sufficient turning space in the cubicle for a wheelchair user.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the right.
- The lateral transfer space is 115cm (3ft 9in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- There is an emergency alarm.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is fully functional.
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- There is a/are sanitary disposal units.
- There is not a/are not coat hook(s).
Position of Fixtures
- Wall mounted grab rails are available for the toilet.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There is not a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- There is a mirror.
- Mirrors are placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 47cm (1ft 7in).
- There is a hand dryer.
- The hand dryer cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The hand dryer is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is not a towel dispenser.
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is good.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is good.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are bright.
Level Change (Toilets)
- There is a ramp or slope to access this service.
- The ramp or slope is located leading up to the toilets.
- The ramp or slope is easy.
- The ramp or slope is permanent.
- There is a / are step(s) to access this area / service.
- The step(s) is / are located leading up to the toilets.
- There is / are 4 step(s) to the area / service.
- There is not tactile paving at the top and bottom of the steps.
- The step(s) is / are not clearly marked.
- The step(s) is / are medium.
- The steps do have handrails.
- The handrails are on the right going up.
- The ramp or slope does bypass the step(s).
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilets are available.
Access to Standard Female and Male Toilet(s)
- The female and male toilets are located next to the accessible toilets.
- Inside the venue, there is not level access to the female and male toilets.
- Lighting levels are medium.
- There are also toilet facilities available in the learning centre.
- Staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Documents can be requested in Braille.
- Documents can be requested in large print.
- A bowl of water can be provided for an assistance dog.
- Some members of staff are trained in Makaton.