- Services / facilities within the building include male and female accommodation.
- Ground floor - Male accommodation.
- First floor - Female accommodation.
Getting Here (Bethlem Royal Hospital)
- Bethlem Royal Hospital is located to the South of Beckenham just off the A232 (Wickham Road). The hospital site can be accessed from the west and Croydon via the A23 and A232 and from the East and M25 via the A21 and A232.
- The Hospital has areas of parking located outside all services. Please see specific service guides for more detailed information.
- The nearest bus stop is Bethlem Royal Hospital located on Monks Orchard Road and approximately 160 metres from the main hospital entrance. The number 356 service stops here.
- The nearest train station is Eden Park which is approximately 0.7 miles away (2 min drive). The station is accessed via Monks Orchard Road and Upper Elmers End Road.
- The following link is for Traveline Journey Planner.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
- Access is by appointment only.
- There is a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
- The nearest National Rail station is Eden Park.
- Click here for access information of the overall hospital grounds.
- Click here for details of the parking available within the hospital
- The bus stop on Monks Orchard Road is within 150m of the main entrance gate and the main reception.
- The other buildings are spread across a very large site, up to 800m from the main entrance gates.
Parking (Longfield House)
- The venue does have its own car park.
- Parking is free for all users.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- There is/are 0 Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is/are slopes/ramps.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is a dropped kerb between the car park and the venue.
- The dropped kerb does not have tactile paving.
- There is not a road to cross between the car park and the entrance.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building.
- There is not level access into the venue.
- The bell is not in a suitable position to allow wheelchair users to gain access.
- The main doors open away from you (push).
- The doors are single width.
- The doors are heavy.
- The door opening is 94cm (3ft) wide.
Level Change (Main Entrance)
- There is a ramp/slope to access this area/service.
- The ramp/slope is located in front of the entrance.
- The ramp/slope is easy.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- There is not a level landing at the top of the ramp/slope.
- There is level access to the service.
- This venue does play background music.
- Music is played in some parts of the venue.
- Motorised scooters are allowed in public parts of the venue.
- Route finding signage is not available.
- The type of flooring in walkways and corridors is carpet and non slip.
- Lighting levels are varied.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are G-1.
- The stairs are located at the rear of the entrance foyer.
- The stairs are approximately 5m from the main entrance.
- There are 14 steps between floors.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps are deep (18cm+).
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on the left going up.
- There is a landing.
- The lighting levels are low.
- The area(s)/service(s) on the floors which are not accessible is/are female accommodation and standard toilets.
- There are not accessible toilet facilities within this venue.
- The nearest accessible toilets are located in the Museum of the Mind or the Community Centre.
- The accessible toilets are over 100m away.
- Please see the Museum of the Mind or the Community Centre guides for further details.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilets are available.
Access to Standard Female Toilet(s)
- The female toilets are located on the first floor.
- The female toilets are 5m (5yd 18in) from the stairs.
- Inside the venue, there is not level access to the female toilet.
- Lighting levels are medium.
Access to Standard Male Toilet(s)
- The male toilets are located to the left as you enter.
- The male toilets are 9m (9yd 2ft) from the main entrance.
- Inside the venue, there is level access to the male toilet.
- Lighting levels are medium.
Standard Shower (Male)
- There are standard level access shower facilities available.
- The showers are located within the standard toilet.
- There is not level access to the services from the shower facilities.
- There is 1 unmarked deep step leading into the shower.
- Staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Documents can be requested in Braille.
- Documents can be requested in large print.
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is normally on duty.
- Staff are trained to BSL level (unknown at time of research).
- There are mobility aids available.
- The mobility aids available include mobile hoists, wheelchairs, shower chairs, commodes, walking sticks, walking frames, hoist slings and adjustable beds.
- To obtain mobility aids please contact reception.
- Hearing Loops are available on request.
- Interpreters are available on request.
- There are a number of policies specifically relating to safeguarding of vulnerable adults and children, as well as infection control policies.
- Please contact the health and safety clinical advisors for further information on the hospital.
- There is a cashpoint on-site.