- Services / facilities within the building include Effra ward, Spring ward, Thames ward, Waddon ward, Norbury ward and Brook ward.
- The venue offers medium secure and low secure treatment for offenders and patients transferred from prison.
Getting Here (Bethlem Royal Hospital)
- Bethlem Royal Hospital is located to the South of Beckenham just off the A232 (Wickham Road). The hospital site can be accessed from the west and Croydon via the A23 and A232 and from the East and M25 via the A21 and A232.
- The Hospital has areas of parking located outside all services. Please see specific service guides for more detailed information.
- The nearest bus stop is Bethlem Royal Hospital located on Monks Orchard Road and approximately 160 metres from the main hospital entrance. The number 356 service stops here.
- The nearest train station is Eden Park which is approximately 0.7 miles away (2 min drive). The station is accessed via Monks Orchard Road and Upper Elmers End Road.
- The following link is for Traveline Journey Planner.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
- River House is open 24 hours.
- Visiting times vary for each ward.
- There is a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
- The nearest National Rail station is Eden Park.
- Click here for access information of the overall hospital grounds.
- Click here for details of the parking available within the hospital
- The bus stop on Monks Orchard Road is within 150m of the main entrance gate and the main reception.
- The other buildings are spread across a very large site, up to 800m from the main entrance gates.
Parking (River House)
- The venue does have its own car park.
- Parking is free for all users.
- The car park is located at the rear of the building.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There is/are 3 Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the Blue Badge parking bay(s) are 365cm x 600cm (11ft 12in x 19ft 8in).
- The nearest Blue Badge bay is 100m (109yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- The furthest Blue Badge bay is 110m (120yd 11in) from the main entrance.
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is/are slopes/ramps.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is a dropped kerb between the car park and the venue.
- The dropped kerb does have tactile paving.
- There is not a road to cross between the car park and the entrance.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
On Street Parking and Drop-off Details.
- There is a designated drop off point.
- The drop off point is located to the side of the venue.
- There is a dropped kerb from the drop off point.
- There is tactile paving on the dropped kerb.
- There is additional standard parking beyond the Blue Badge parking bays.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building.
- There is not level access into the venue.
- There is an intercom at this entrance.
- The intercom is in a suitable position to allow wheelchair users to gain access.
- The main door(s) open(s) towards you (pull).
- The door(s) is / are double (with one leaf locked).
- The door(s) is / are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 88cm (2ft 11in).
Level Change (Main Entrance)
- There is a ramp/slope to access this area/service.
- The ramp/slope is located to the right side of the entrance.
- The ramp/slope is easy.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- There is a level landing at the top of the ramp/slope.
- The ramp/slope does bypass the step(s).
- There is a/are step(s) to access this area/service.
- The step(s) is/are located leading to the entrance facing the building.
- There is/are 10 step(s) to the area/service.
- There is tactile paving at the top and bottom of the step(s).
- The step(s) is/are not clearly marked.
- The step(s) is/are medium height (11cm - 17cm).
- There is a/are handrail(s) at the step(s).
- The handrail(s) is/are on both sides.
- There is a level/ easy slopes footpath to the side of the building from the carpark.
- From the direction of the visitors' car park, the access road can be used to bypass the steps.
- There is a dropped kerb at the drop off point, but not near the entrance.
- The desk/counter is 6m (6yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- There is level access to the desk/counter from the entrance.
- The desk/counter is medium height (77cm - 109cm).
- The desk/counter has a low (76cm or lower) section.
- The desk/counter is staffed.
- The lighting levels are bright.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- There is not a bell to attract attention.
- There is sufficient space to write or sign documents on the desk/counter.
- The security doors to the right of the reception are the staff entrances.
Outside Access (Ward Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located to the left of reception.
- There is level access into the venue.
- There are no doors at this entrance.
- The width of the door opening is 77cm (2ft 6in).
- There is level access to the service(s).
- This venue does not play background music.
- Motorised scooters are allowed in public parts of the venue.
- Wayfinding signage is not available.
- The type of flooring in walkways and corridors is vinyl/laminate and stone.
- The lighting levels are bright.
- Visitors must be escorted around the building.
- There are chairs with armrests in the entrance foyer.
- There are accessible toilet facilities within this venue.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- This accessible toilet is located ahead as you enter.
- This accessible toilet is approximately 10m (10yd 2ft) from the main entrance.
- There is level access to this accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens by sliding (Bi-Fold).
- The door is locked by a lever twist.
- The door is heavy.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 84cm (2ft 9in).
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 200cm x 200cm (6ft 7in x 6ft 7in).
- The accessible toilet does not have an unobstructed minimum turning space of 150cm x 150cm in front of the seat.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the left.
- The lateral transfer space is 121cm (3ft 12in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- There is not a spatula type lever flush.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- There is an emergency alarm.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is fully functional.
- There is a push button alarm in this cubicle.
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- There is a/are female sanitary and waste paper pedal bin disposal units.
- There is not a flashing fire alarm beacon within the cubicle.
- There is a/are coat hook(s).
Position of Fixtures
- Wall-mounted grab rails are available.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There is not a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- There is a mirror.
- Mirrors are not placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 47cm (1ft 7in).
- There is not a hand dryer.
- There is a towel dispenser.
- The towel dispenser can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The towel dispenser is placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- The height of the towel dispenser is 105cm (3ft 5in).
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- The height of the toilet roll holder is 105cm (3ft 5in).
- There is a soap dispenser.
- The soap dispenser can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The height of the soap dispenser is 100cm.
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is good.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is good.
- The toilet seat colour contrast is good.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is fair.
- The lighting levels are medium.
Baby Changing Facilities
- Baby changing facilities are available within this accessible toilet.
- The height of the baby change table once extended is 103cm (3ft 5in).
- The wards were not surveyed.
- The accessible toilet is available for all visitors.
- Staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Documents can be requested in Braille.
- Documents can be requested in large print.
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is normally on duty.
- Staff are trained to BSL level (unknown at time of research).
- There are mobility aids available.
- The mobility aids available include mobile hoists, wheelchairs, shower chairs, commodes, walking sticks, walking frames, hoist slings and adjustable beds.
- To obtain mobility aids please contact reception.
- Hearing Loops are available on request.
- Interpreters are available on request.
- There are a number of policies specifically relating to safeguarding of vulnerable adults and children, as well as infection control policies.
- Please contact the health and safety clinical advisors for further information on the hospital.
- There is a cashpoint on-site.