- Services / facilities within the building include Croydon IAPT, rooms 1 - 14, Psychological Therapies and the Wellbeing Service.
Getting Here (Bethlem Royal Hospital)
- Bethlem Royal Hospital is located to the South of Beckenham just off the A232 (Wickham Road). The hospital site can be accessed from the west and Croydon via the A23 and A232 and from the East and M25 via the A21 and A232.
- The Hospital has areas of parking located outside all services. Please see specific service guides for more detailed information.
- The nearest bus stop is Bethlem Royal Hospital located on Monks Orchard Road and approximately 160 metres from the main hospital entrance. The number 356 service stops here.
- The nearest train station is Eden Park which is approximately 0.7 miles away (2 min drive). The station is accessed via Monks Orchard Road and Upper Elmers End Road.
- The following link is for Traveline Journey Planner.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
- Monday 08:00 - 19:00.
- Tuesday 09:00 - 17:00.
- Wednesday 09:00 - 17:00.
- Thursday 08:00 - 19:00.
- Friday 09:00 - 17:00.
- Saturday Closed.
- Sunday Closed.
- There is a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
- The nearest National Rail station is Eden Park.
- Click here for access information of the overall hospital grounds.
- Click here for details of the parking available within the hospital
- The bus stop on Monks Orchard Road is within 150m of the main entrance gate and the main reception.
- The other buildings are spread across a very large site, up to 800m from the main entrance gates.
Parking (Wickham Park House)
- The venue does have its own car park.
- Parking is free for all users.
- Parking is not free for Blue Badge holders.
- The car park is located in front of the building.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- There is/are 2 Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the Blue Badge parking bay(s) are 322cm x 521cm (10ft 7in x 17ft 1in).
- The nearest Blue Badge bay is 4m (4yd 1ft) from the Wickham Park House Entrance.
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is/are uneven surfaces.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is a dropped kerb between the car park and the venue.
- The dropped kerb does not have tactile paving.
- There is not a road to cross between the car park and the entrance.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
On Street Parking and Drop-off Details.
- There is not a designated drop off point.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building.
- There is not level access into the venue.
- There is an intercom at this entrance.
- The intercom is not in a suitable position to allow wheelchair users to gain access.
- The main door(s) open(s) towards you (pull).
- The door(s) is / are single (with a locked extension leaf).
- The door(s) is / are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 84cm (2ft 9in).
Level Change (Main Entrance)
- There is a ramp/slope to access this area/service.
- The ramp/slope is located in front of the entrance.
- The ramp/slope is easy.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- There is a level landing at the top of the ramp/slope.
- The desk/counter is 5m (5yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- There is level access to the desk/counter from the entrance.
- The desk/counter is medium height (77cm - 109cm).
- The desk/counter does not have a low (76cm or lower) section.
- The desk/counter is staffed.
- The lighting levels are medium.
- There is not a bell to attract attention.
- There is not sufficient space to write or sign documents on the desk/counter.
- There is level access to the service(s).
- This venue does not play background music.
- Wayfinding signage is available.
- The type of flooring in walkways and corridors is carpet and vinyl/laminate.
- The lighting levels are varied.
- Photograph 2 shows the meeting/ training room.
Waiting Room / Area
- There is a waiting room / area.
- The waiting room / area is approximately 1m from the main entrance.
- There is level access into the waiting room / area.
- There is not a/are not door(s) into the waiting room / area.
- The type of flooring is vinyl/laminate.
- There is not a space for a wheelchair user to wait within the seating area.
- No chairs are permanently fixed.
- Some chairs with armrests are available.
- Announcements are in person.
- The waiting room / area does not have background music playing.
- There is not a flashing fire alarm beacon within the waiting room / area.
- There is not a television.
- Vending machines are not available.
- A water dispenser is not available.
- There is not a play area or toys/books for a child to play with.
- There is space for an assistance dog to rest within the seating area.
- Lighting levels are medium.
- There are accessible toilet facilities within this venue.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is no signage on or near the toilet door.
- This accessible toilet is located off the main corridor, to the right after reception.
- This accessible toilet is approximately 26m (28yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- There is level access to this accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens inwards.
- The door is locked by a sliding bolt.
- The door is heavy.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 104cm (3ft 5in).
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 455cm x 260cm (14ft 11in x 8ft 6in).
- The accessible toilet does have an unobstructed minimum turning space of 150cm x 150cm in front of the seat.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the left.
- The lateral transfer space is 325cm (10ft 8in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush, however it is not on the transfer side.
- There is not a spatula type lever flush.
- The tap type is twist/turn.
- There is not a mixer tap.
- There is not an emergency alarm.
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- There is a/are female sanitary disposal units.
- There is not a flashing fire alarm beacon within the cubicle.
- There is a/are coat hook(s).
- The coat hook is not within 120cm (3ft 11in) from floor level.
Position of Fixtures
- Wall-mounted grab rails are not available.
- There is not a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- There is a mirror.
- Mirrors are not placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 42cm (1ft 5in).
- There is not a hand dryer.
- There is a towel dispenser.
- The towel dispenser cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The towel dispenser is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a soap dispenser.
- The soap dispenser cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The height of the soap dispenser is 95cm.
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
- The height of the wash basin is 88cm (2ft 11in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is fair.
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is good.
- The toilet seat colour contrast is poor.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is poor.
- The lighting levels are medium.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are available.
Access to Standard Female and Male Toilet(s)
- The female and male toilet facilities that were surveyed are located off the main corridor.
- The female and male toilets are approximately 40m (43yd 2ft) from the main entrance.
- Inside the venue, there is level access to the female and male toilets.
- An ambulant toilet with wall mounted grab rails is not available.
- Lighting levels are medium.
- Staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Documents can be requested in Braille.
- Documents can be requested in large print.
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is normally on duty.
- Staff are trained to BSL level (unknown at time of research).
- There are mobility aids available.
- The mobility aids available include mobile hoists, wheelchairs, shower chairs, commodes, walking sticks, walking frames, hoist slings and adjustable beds.
- To obtain mobility aids please contact reception.
- Hearing Loops are available on request.
- Interpreters are available on request.
- There are a number of policies specifically relating to safeguarding of vulnerable adults and children, as well as infection control policies.
- Please contact the health and safety clinical advisors for further information on the hospital.
- There is a cashpoint on-site.