Show Easy Read
- Services / facilities within the building include a meeting room, teaching kitchen and staff offices.
- Related link Maudsley Hospital Grounds.
- The Community Link Centre (CLC) is based on the ground floor of Middle House.
- The entrance is from the pedestrian area at the centre of the site, to the rear of the main building.
- Please see the guide to the grounds for details of pedestrian routes into the site.
- The centre provides group activity programmes for people aged 18-65 who are receiving acute or crisis mental health care.
- The centre is for people who are receiving inpatient care at the Maudsley Hospital, as well as people who are outpatients and who live in the London Borough of Southwark.
- Activity programmes include adult education classes, creative therapy workshops, complementary therapies and access to volunteering opportunities.
Getting Here (Maudsley Hospital)
- Maudsley Hospital is located in Camberwell, South London just off Denmark Hill. It is approximately 0.6 km from the A202 (Peckham Road) which gives access to the A3 and A23 to the West and the A2 and 20 to the East.
- The Hospital has its own car park which is located at the front of the hospital. Blue Badge bays are available.
- The nearest bus stop is Kings College (Stop A) which is located on Denmark Hill and is approximately 90 metres from the main hospital entrance. Services that stop here are the 42, 68, 468 and N68.
- The nearest train station is Denmark Hill approximately 200 metres away located to the South of the hospital site.
- The nearest tube station is Brixton, approximately 2.3 km away via Denmark Hill, Cold Harbour Lane, Lilford Road and Brixton Road.
- The following link is for Traveline Journey Planner.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
- Monday 09:30 - 12:00.
- Monday 13:00 - 16:30.
- Tuesday 09:30 - 12:00.
- Tuesday 13:00 - 16:30.
- Wednesday 09:30 - 12:00.
- Wednesday 13:00 - 16:30.
- Thursday 09:30 - 12:00.
- Thursday 13:00 - 16:30.
- Friday 09:30 - 12:00.
- Friday 13:00 - 16:30.
- Saturday Closed.
- Sunday Closed.
- The venue is situated within the centre of the borough.
- This venue is situated in Southwark.
- There is a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
- The nearest mainline station is Denmark Hill.
- The nearest underground station is Brixton.
Parking (Main Car Park)
- The venue does have its own car park.
Venue Car Park
- Parking is not free for all users.
- Parking is not free for Blue Badge holders.
- The car park is located true.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There is/are 3 Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the Blue Badge parking bay(s) are 400cm x 350cm (13ft 1in x 11ft 6in).
- The nearest Blue Badge bay is 38m (41yd 1ft) from the main entrance, using the ramp.
- The furthest Blue Badge bay is 48m (52yd 1ft) from the main entrance, using the ramp.
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is/are slopes/ramps.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is a dropped kerb between the car park and the venue.
- The dropped kerb does not have tactile paving.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- There is a designated drop off point.
- The drop off point is located to the left of the main entrance.
- There is a dropped kerb from the drop off point.
- There is not tactile paving on the dropped kerb.
- The Blue Badge bays are located outside the Main Entrance Building, separate from the main pay and display section of the car park.
- Blue Badge parking is limited to two hours.
- Blue Badge holders can refund parking vouchers at the main reception.
- Each of the bays has a lockable post which is opened by a member of the reception staff on request.
- Reception can be contacted on 020 3228 2135.
- Visitors may wait in the drop-off area whilst waiting for staff.
Outside Access (Vehicle Access into Grounds)
- There is a vehicle access gate into the grounds to the right of the Main Entrance Building.
- It is located next to the accessible pedestrian gate into the grounds.
- The powered gates are operated by reception after contact via the intercom.
- The intercom is within reach of a vehicle driver.
- This gate may be used to drop visitors off in the centre of the hospital site or, by special arrangement, for parking close to the wards/ clinics.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the rear of Middle House, accessed from the centre of the hospital site.
- There is not level access into the venue.
- There is an intercom at this entrance.
- The intercom is not in a suitable position to allow wheelchair users to gain access.
- The main door(s) open(s) towards you (pull).
- The door(s) is / are single.
- The door(s) is / are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 88cm (2ft 11in).
Second set of doors
- There is a second set of doors.
- The door(s) open(s) away from you (push).
- The door(s) is / are single.
- The door(s) is / are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 80cm (2ft 7in).
Level Change (Main Entrance)
- There is a ramp/slope to access this area/service.
- The ramp/slope is located in front or to the right of the main entrance.
- The ramp/slope is easy.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- There is not a level landing at the top of the ramp/slope.
- There is not a/are not handrail(s) at the ramp.
- The width of the ramp/slope is 135cm (4ft 5in).
- The desk/counter is 4m (4yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- There is level access to the desk/counter from the entrance.
- The desk/counter is high (110cm+).
- The desk/counter has a low (76cm or lower) section.
- The desk/counter is staffed.
- The lighting levels are medium.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- There is sufficient space to write or sign documents on the desk/counter.
Waiting Room / Area
- There is a waiting room / area.
- The waiting room / area is approximately 2m from the main entrance, opposite the reception desk.
- There is level access into the waiting room / area.
- There is not a/are not door(s) into the waiting room / area.
- The type of flooring is vinyl/laminate.
- There is a space for a wheelchair user to wait within the seating area.
- No chairs are permanently fixed.
- All chairs have armrests.
- Announcements are in person.
- The waiting room / area does not have background music playing.
- There is not a flashing fire alarm beacon within the waiting room / area.
- There is not a television.
- Vending machines are not available.
- A water dispenser is available.
- There is not a play area or toys/books for a child to play with.
- There is space for an assistance dog to rest within the seating area.
- Lighting levels are medium.
- There is level access to the service(s).
- This venue does not play background music.
- Motorised scooters are allowed in public parts of the venue.
- Wayfinding signage is not available.
- The type of flooring in walkways and corridors is vinyl/laminate.
- The lighting levels are varied.
- Photograph 1 shows the training kitchen.
- Photograph 2 shows the group meeting room.
- There are accessible toilet facilities within this venue.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- This accessible toilet is located to the left after the first set of doors at the main entrance.
- This accessible toilet is approximately 2m (2yd 7in) from the main entrance.
- There is level access to this accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a twist lock.
- The door is heavy.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 88cm (2ft 11in).
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 160cm x 220cm (5ft 3in x 7ft 3in).
- The accessible toilet does not have an unobstructed minimum turning space of 150cm x 150cm in front of the seat.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the left.
- The lateral transfer space is 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- There is not a spatula type lever flush.
- The tap type is sensor.
- There is not a mixer tap.
- There is an emergency alarm.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is fully functional.
- There is a push button alarm in this cubicle.
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- There is a/are female sanitary and open waste paper bin disposal units.
- There is not a flashing fire alarm beacon within the cubicle.
- There is not a/are not coat hook(s).
Position of Fixtures
- Wall-mounted grab rails are available.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rails are on the right.
- There is a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- The shelf is higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a mirror.
- Mirrors are not placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 47cm (1ft 7in).
- There is not a hand dryer.
- There is a towel dispenser.
- The towel dispenser cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The towel dispenser is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a soap dispenser.
- The soap dispenser can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The height of the soap dispenser is 95cm.
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
- The height of the wash basin is 80cm (2ft 7in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the external door and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is good.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is fair.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rails to the right of the toilet and wall is good.
- The toilet seat colour contrast is poor.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is fair.
- The lighting levels are bright.
- The drop down rail to the right of the toilet cannot be raised because of the toilet roll holder and serves as a wall mounted grab rail.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are available.
Access to Standard Female and Male Toilet(s)
- The female and male toilet facilities that were surveyed are located off the corridor opposite reception.
- The female and male toilets are approximately 10m (10yd 2ft) from the main entrance.
- Inside the venue, there is level access to the female and male toilets.
- An ambulant toilet with wall mounted grab rails is not available.
- Lighting levels are medium.
- Staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Documents can be requested in Braille.
- Documents can be requested in large print.
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is normally on duty.
- Staff are trained to BSL level (unknown at time of research).
- There are mobility aids available.
- The mobility aids available include mobile hoists, wheelchairs, shower chairs, commodes, walking sticks, walking frames, hoist slings and adjustable beds.
- To obtain mobility aids please contact reception.
- Hearing Loops are available on request.
- Interpreters are available on request.
- There are a number of policies specifically relating to safeguarding of vulnerable adults and children, as well as infection control policies.
- Please contact the health and safety clinical advisors for further information on the hospital.
- There is a cashpoint within King's Hospital, 100m from the main reception.