Show Easy Read
- This route runs from the Tooting Broadway Underground Station to St Georges University via the St Georges Hospital Main Entrance. The route is roughly 0.4 miles long.
Tooting Broadway Station to Traffic Lights
- Once you exit the station, turn left and follow the road round to the left, onto Tooting High Street.
- Follow the path for roughly 145 meters until you come to a set of traffic lights.
- The path has a slabbed surface which is mostly level but does have some areas that are uneven.
- There are some obstructions along the way which restrict the path width such as phone boxes, bins and bus stops.
- Roughly 35 meters after leaving the station entrance, there is a crossing which is level with the path and has tactile paving on either side.
- Once at the traffic lights, there is a signal box with a push button to stop the traffic, at a height of 105 cm.
- There are spinning cones on the underside of the signal box which spin to tell people it is safe to cross.
- There are dropped curbs and tactile paving on both sides of the road.
Traffic Lights to Coverton Road
- Once across Tooting High Street, turn right and follow the path back on yourself for roughly 20 meters until coming to the first road.
- Along this path, the surface is a level slabbed surface which is slightly restricted by obstacles such as lampposts, bins and tables and chairs put out by the café.
- Turn left onto Coverton Road.
Coverton Road to Effort Street
- Head along Coverton Road for roughly 100 meters until you come to Effort Road.
- Along this path, there are fixed obstacles such as trees and sign posts which restrict the width of the path.
- The path has a block paved surface which is mostly level but does have a slight slope towards the road and is uneven in some areas.
- Once at the road, there is a dropped curb on either side of the road with tactile paving.
- Cross Effort Street.
Effort Street to St George Hospital Gate
- Once you cross Effort Street, turn left and follow it along.
- The path has a slabbed and block paving surface which is mostly level with some uneven places.
- Follow the path as it bends round to the right for 40 meters until you come to the gate on the right hand side.
Outside Access (St Georges Hospital Main Gate Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located on Effort Road.
- There is step free access at this entrance.
- There is not a bell/buzzer.
- There is not an intercom.
- There are no doors at this entrance.
- The width of the door opening is 260cm (8ft 6in).
St George Hospital Gate to Hospital Main Entrance
- Once at the gate, enter the hospital grounds and follow the ramps to the left down for 25 meters towards the Perimeter Road.
- At the bottom of the ramp, there is a zebra crossing.
- The crossing has a dropped kerb with tactile paving on both sides.
- Cross the road and turn left.
- Follow the path along for 20 meters until you come to a right turning.
- The path at this point has a level slabbed surface which changes to block paving.
- Once you reach the right turning, this path will lead you to the hospital main entrance.
- There are bollards which have a width of 140cm.
- Follow the fixed gravel path, which has a slight slope towards the building, for 18 meters until you reach the hospital entrance.
Hospital Main Entrance to Hunter Wing Rear Entrance
- Once you enter the hospital, head slightly to the left and follow the corridor as it bends round to the right hand side.
- This corridor is usually quite busy and congested which may cause some access issues.
- The corridors floor is a smooth tiled surface.
- Follow the corridor for the 35 meters until you come to a set of double doors.
- Head through the doors and the entrance to the Hunter Wing is directly ahead.
- Please see the Hunter Wing guide for further access information.