Show Easy Read
- This is a route from Tooting Broadway Underground Station to the University Main Entrance. The route is roughly 0.4 miles long.
Tooting Broadway Station to Traffic Lights
- Once you exit the station, turn left and follow the road round to the left, onto Tooting High Street.
- Follow the path for roughly 145 meters until you come to a set of traffic lights.
- The path has a slabbed surface which is mostly level but does have some areas that are uneven.
- There are some obstructions along the way which restrict the path width such as phone boxes, bins and bus stops.
- Roughly 35 meters after leaving the station entrance, there is a crossing which is level with the path and has tactile paving on either side.
- Once at the traffic lights, there is a signal box with a push button to stop the traffic, at a height of 105 cm.
- There are spinning cones on the underside of the signal box which spin to tell people it is safe to cross.
- There are dropped curbs and tactile paving on both sides of the road.
Traffic Lights to Coverton Road
- Once across Tooting High Street, turn right and follow the path back on yourself for roughly 20 meters until coming to the first road.
- Along this path, the surface is a level slabbed surface which is slightly restricted by obstacles such as lampposts, bins and tables and chairs put out by the café.
- Turn left onto Coverton Road.
Coverton Road to Effort Street
- Head along Coverton Road for roughly 100 meters until you come to Effort Road.
- Along this path, there are fixed obstacles such as trees and sign posts which restrict the width of the path.
- The path has a block paved surface which is mostly level but does have a slight slope towards the road and is uneven in some areas.
- Once at the road, there is a dropped curb on either side of the road with tactile paving.
- Cross Effort Street.
Effort Street to St Georges Hospital Gate Entrance
- Once across Effort Street, continue along Coverton Road.
- The path continues to have a block paved surface which is mostly level.
- There are still some fixed obstructions which restrict the width of the path.
- Follow the path for 100 meters until you come up to the end of the path.
- The entrance gate will be on the left hand side.
- Enter the St Georges Hospital grounds through the gate.
Outside Access (St George Hospital Gate Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the end of Coverton Road, on the left hand side.
- There is step free access at this entrance.
- There is not a bell/buzzer.
- There is not an intercom.
- There is not a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- There are no doors at this entrance.
- The width of the door opening is 140cm (4ft 7in).
St George Hospital Gate to University Main Entrance
- Once you enter the St Georges Hospital grounds through the gate, there is a zebra crossing directly in front of you which has a dropped curb and tactile paving on both sides.
- Cross the road.
- Once across, there is a slight ramp leading to the left.
- Use the ramp to gain access to the path and turn to the right at the top.
- Follow the path for 15 meters down towards the road which bends round to the left.
- At the road, there is a second zebra crossing which has dropped kerbs and tactile paving.
- Cross the road and turn left and follow the pedestrian path onto the proper path which has a dropped kerb and tactile paving.
- Follow the path along in front of the Energy Centre and the Maxillofacial & Day Surgery unit.
- The path has a slabbed surface which is mostly level.
- There is a small crossing along the path which has dropped kerbs and tactile paving on both sides.
- Continue along the road for 30 meters until you come to a hatched road crossing.
- At this point, cross back across the perimeter road to the slope in front of the Hunter Wing Building, which has a dropped kerb and tactile paving.
- Once you have crossed the road, follow the slope round to the right.
- At this point the surface of the path changes to a rough tarmac which is mostly level.
- Follow the path along for 25 meters to the Hunter Wing Main Entrance.
- Please see the Hunter Wing guide for access information.