Show Easy Read
- The Pizzeria serves a range of freshly prepared pizzas as well as salads and desserts. Step-free access is only available via a staff lift accompanied by a staff member. Other step-free cafes and restaurants are available. Access to The Pizzeria is from level 0, off Room 12 of the museum. This room is to the left through the foyer as you enter the Great Russell Street entrance. There is level access to the restaurant by lift, but this lift is located in a staff area and a member of staff must accompany visitors wishing to use it.
- For the British Museum - General Access AccessAble Access Guide please click here (new tab).
- For the Great Court AccessAble Access Guide please click here (new tab).
Step(s) (Pizzeria Access)
- There is a/are step(s) located at the far end of Room 12, on level 0 of the museum.
- The step(s) is/are used to access the Pizzeria.
- There is/are 12 step(s).
- The step(s) is/are clearly marked.
- The going of the step(s) is/are between 30cm and 45cm.
- There is a/are handrail(s) at the step(s).
- The handrail(s) is/are on both sides.
- Handrails are at the recommended height (90cm-100cm).
- Handrails do cover the flight of stairs throughout its length.
- Handrails are easy to grip.
- Handrails do not extend horizontally beyond the first and last steps.
- The lighting levels at the step(s) are low.
Lift (Pizzeria Access)
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located in a staff area to the left of the stairs, off Room 12.
- Signs indicating the location of the lift are not available from the entrance.
- The lift is approximately 60m (65yd 1ft) from the Great Russell Street entrance.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- A member of staff needs to be notified for use of the lift.
- A member of staff is required to operate the lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are 0 and the Pizzeria.
- There are manual, heavy, single doors to access the lift lobby on all floors.
- Clear signs indicating the facilities on each floor are not provided on lift lobby landings.
- There is a clear level manoeuvring space of 150cm × 150cm in front of the lift.
- Lift doors do contrast visually with lift lobby walls.
- The external controls for the lift are within 90cm - 110cm from the floor.
- The colour contrast between the external lift controls and the control plate is poor.
- The colour contrast between the external lift control plate and the wall is good.
- The clear door width is 78cm (2ft 7in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 124cm x 90cm (4ft 1in x 2ft 11in).
- There are separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is not a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- There is a list of floor services available within the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does have an audible announcer.
- The controls for the lift are within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- There is a hearing loop system.
- The lift does not have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The lighting levels in the lift are good.
- There is a heavy manual door as well as the automatic doors to enter the lift at ground floor level.
- Customers will be accompanied by a member of staff to use this lift.
Eating and Drinking (Pizzeria)
- The following information is for the restaurant.
- The restaurant is located on the upper ground floor level.
- There is step-free access, via lift, to the restaurant.
- Full table service is not available.
- Food and/or drinks are ordered from the service counter.
- Food and/or drinks can be brought to the table.
- The height of the service counter is medium height (77cm - 109cm).
- There is not a lowered section of the counter.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- There is step-free access within the restaurant.
- There is ample room for a wheelchair user to manoeuvre.
- This area does not play background music.
- The type of flooring in this area is vinyl.
- No tables are permanently fixed.
- No chairs are permanently fixed.
- All chairs have armrests on both sides.
- The nearest table is approximately 5m from the entrance/opening.
- The nearest table is approximately 5m from the till/counter.
- The standard height for tables is 70cm.
- Plastic/takeaway cups are not available.
- Plastic/takeaway cutlery is not available.
- Drinking straws are available.
- There are hand held menus and menu boards/signs available.
- Menus are not available in Braille.
- Menus are not available in large print.
- Picture menus are not available.
- Menus are not clearly written.
- Menus are presented in contrasting colours.
- The type of food served here is pizza, salads and deserts.
- The lighting levels are good.
- Access to the additional seating area is via 4 medium, marked steps.
- There are several sets of steps to the additional seating areas around the edge of the restaurant.
- Some steps have handrails to one side only.
- The nearest accessible toilet(s) is/are located on level 0, off Room 6 or off the Great Court.
- The nearest standard toilet(s) is/are located on the lower ground floor, using the steps next to the Pizzeria.