COVID-19 Information (British Museum)
- The information in this section was taken in November 2020.
- All entry is ticketed (both for free collection visit and paid for exhibitions).
- Currently only selected galleries are open.
- There are separate doors for entering and exiting.
- Entry is via Great Russell Street and to exit is via Montague place.
- Hand sanitisers are available inside the venue.
- There is a new one way route in place.
- The following areas are currently closed; the cloakroom, the Information desk, the Audio Guide and Multimedia Guide desk and the 'Hands On' desks.
- No live events or tours are taking place at the Museum.
- For more information about the measures in place for Covid-19 please click here (new tab) .
- The Africa Gallery is home to the Museum's collection of over 200,000 African items encompasses archaeological and contemporary material from across the continent.
The Africa Gallery is located on Level -2 below The Great Court. There is step free access via the Great Court east or west lifts.
- For the Main Building AccessAble Access Guide please click here (new tab).
- For the The Great Court AccessAble Access Guide please click here (new tab).
Getting Help and Assistance
- There is a member of staff available for help and assistance.
- There is a member of staff trained in British Sign Language.
- The alternative formats documents can be provided in include; Braille on request, large print on request, different languages on request and audio on request.
- There is an assistance dog toilet or toileting area at the venue/nearby.
- The assistance dog toilet or toileting area is located in Russell Square Park.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are available.
- There are mobility aids available.
- The mobility aids available include wheelchairs.
- To obtain mobility aids please contact the museum in advance by emailing [email protected] or speak to a member of staff at either entrance foyer.
- There are portable resting stools available to use when going around the museum.
They are located on the ground floor in Rooms 6, 17 and 24 and on Level 3 in the South Stairs/Lift Lobby and next to the East Stairs landing.
- There is a BSL Handset Guide of the museum available, which can be collected from the Audio Guide Desk in the Great Court.
There is a Large Print copy of the Audio Guide available.
There are free maps of the museum available, please speak to a member of staff.
There is a large print map of the museum available.
There are ear defenders available for visitors.
- There is a/are step(s) located at the centre of room 24.
- The step(s) is/are used to access The Africa Gallery.
- There is/are 15+ step(s).
- The step(s) is/are not clearly marked.
- The height of the step(s) is/are between 15cm and 18cm.
- The height of the step(s) is/are 16cm.
- The going of the step(s) is/are between 30cm and 45cm.
- There is a/are handrail(s) at the step(s).
- The handrail(s) is/are on both sides.
- Handrails are at the recommended height (90cm-100cm).
- Handrails do cover the flight of stairs throughout its length.
- Handrails are easy to grip.
- Handrails do extend horizontally beyond the first and last steps.
- The lighting levels at the step(s) are good.
Lift (Great Court East Lift)
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located to the right of the central reading room as you enter the Great Court from the Great Russell Street entrance.
- Signs indicating the location of the lift are not available from the entrance.
- The lift is approximately 60m (65yd 1ft) from the Great Russell Street entrance.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- A member of staff does not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are -2, -1, 0, 1 and 3.
- Clear signs indicating the facilities on each floor are provided on lift lobby landings.
- There is a clear level manoeuvring space of 150cm × 150cm in front of the lift.
- Lift doors do contrast visually with lift lobby walls.
- The external controls for the lift are within 90cm - 110cm from the floor.
- The colour contrast between the external lift controls and the control plate is poor.
- The colour contrast between the external lift control plate and the wall is poor.
- The clear door width is 90cm (2ft 11in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 170cm x 130cm (5ft 7in x 4ft 3in).
- There are separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- There is a list of floor services available within the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does have an audible announcer.
- The controls for the lift are within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- There is a hearing loop system.
- The lift does not have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The lighting levels in the lift are low.
- There is a/are similar lift(s) available.
- There is a separate exit from the lift on level 1.
- There is a similar lift on the west side of the Great Court.
- The lift gives direct between the Great Court and the Great Court Restaurant on level 3.
- The nearest accessible toilet(s) is/are located in the Great Court.
Attraction / Exhibit (Level -2 : Room 25)
Entrance / Opening
- There is a lift with an opening door width of 75cm+ for access to this area/attraction.
- The entrance/opening is clearly signed.
- The entrance door(s) does/do contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- There is step-free access at this entrance/opening, via lift.
Attraction / Exhibit
- There is level access throughout this area.
- Clear directional signage is provided in this area.
- The type of flooring in this area is wood.
- There is flooring which is shiny and could cause issues with glare or look slippery to some people.
- Explanations for the exhibit(s) is/are in information board format.
- Some exhibits can be audio described.
- Exhibits are audio described by using a headset.
- Headsets can be obtained from the Audio Guide Desk in the Great Court, the audio guide is free of charge.
- There are some exhibits which start from the floor level.
- There is bench seating available.
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- There is a good colour contrast between some walls and the floor in this area.
- The lighting levels in this area are low.
- Visitors exit via a lift.
- The nearest standard toilet(s) is/are located in the Great Court.