- The comprehensive Americas collections at the British Museum capture and express the narratives of humanity from North, Central and South America.
The Americas galleries are located on the ground floor at the rear of the Great Court via either Room 24 - Living and Dying Exhibition, or Room 1 - Enlightenment Exhibition.
- For the Main Building AccessAble Access Guide please click here (new tab).
- For the The Great Court AccessAble Access Guide please click here (new tab).
Getting Help and Assistance
- There is a member of staff available for help and assistance.
- There is a member of staff trained in British Sign Language.
- The alternative formats documents can be provided in include; Braille on request, large print on request, different languages on request and audio on request.
- There is an assistance dog toilet or toileting area at the venue/nearby.
- The assistance dog toilet or toileting area is located in Russell Square Park.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are available.
- There are mobility aids available.
- The mobility aids available include wheelchairs.
- To obtain mobility aids please contact the museum in advance by emailing [email protected] or speak to a member of staff at either entrance foyer.
- There are portable resting stools available to use when going around the museum.
They are located on the ground floor in Rooms 6, 17 and 24 and on Level 3 in the South Stairs/Lift Lobby and next to the East Stairs landing.
- There is a BSL Handset Guide of the museum available, which can be collected from the Audio Guide Desk in the Great Court.
There is a Large Print copy of the Audio Guide available.
There are free maps of the museum available, please speak to a member of staff.
There is a large print map of the museum available.
There are ear defenders available for visitors.
Attraction / Exhibit (Ground Floor - Rooms 26 and 27)
Entrance / Opening
- There are double, heavy, manual doors with an opening width of 75cm+ for access to this area/attraction.
- The entrance/opening is clearly signed.
- The entrance door(s) does/do contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- There is step-free access at this entrance/opening.
Attraction / Exhibit
- There is level access throughout this area.
- Clear directional signage is provided in this area.
- During busy periods this area can become congested.
- The type of flooring in this area is tiles.
- Explanations for the exhibit(s) is/are in information board format.
- Some exhibits can be audio described.
- Exhibits are audio described by using a headset.
- Headsets can be obtained from the Audio Guide Desk in the Great Court, the audio guide is free of charge.
- There are some exhibits which start from the floor level.
- There is bench seating available in Room 26.
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- There is a good colour contrast between some walls and the floor in this area.
- The lighting levels in this area are varied.
- Visitors exit via a separate set of doors/opening.
- The exit is clearly signed internally.
- There are double, heavy, manual doors with an opening width of 75cm+ when exiting this area/attraction.
- The exit is step-free.
- The nearest accessible toilet(s) is/are located in the Great Court and next to the east stairs.
- The nearest standard toilet(s) is/are located in the Great Court and next to the east stairs.