Show Easy Read
Getting To The Hospital
- The main hospital entrance to the Royal Victoria Infirmary is located off Queen Victoria Road. The Leazes Wing entrance is located off Richardson Road. If you are using a sat nav to find the hospital please use the postcode NE1 4LP.
- The Blue Badge parking areas and the multi storey car park are located off Queen Victoria Road.
- The nearest bus stop to the Royal Victoria Infirmary main entrance is located on St Thomas Street. Bus services 16, 15, 32 and 50 run from this stop. The nearest bus stop to the Leazes Wing entance is located on Richardson Road, opposite this entrance.
- The nearest National Rail station is Newcastle.
- The nearest Metro Station is Haymarket.
- This link explains how to find the Royal Victoria Infirmary.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
Getting Help and Assistance
- There is a Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at the hospital.
- The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is located in the ground floor Atrium.
- The telephone number for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is 0800 032 0202.
- The email address for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is [email protected]
- There are volunteers available for help and assistance at the hospital.
- Volunteers can be found at the information point on the first floor.
- Volunteers do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Hospital staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Documents are available in an alternative format and can be provided to include: Braille on request, large print on request, Makaton on request and different languages on request.
- There is not an assistance dog toilet or toileting area on the hospital site.
- No hospital staff receive deaf awareness training.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are available.
- Mobility aids are available to help patients move around and include; wheelchairs.
- To obtain mobility aids please contact main reception.
- There is a Changing Places facility at this hospital which is located on Level 3 in the Victoria Wing.
- Interpreting services can be provided by the Trust and confirmation of booking details can be provided by the PALS team.
- Additional hospital services link (new tab) - click here.
Hospital Parking (Main Car Park)
- The hospital does have a dedicated car park.
- The car park is located at the front of the hospital.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- The car park does not have a barrier control system.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is a/are clearly marked/signposted Blue Badge parking bay(s) available.
- The Blue Badge bay(s) is/are clearly marked.
- There is/are 10+ designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the hospital car park.
- The dimensions of the designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) surveyed are 360cm x 600cm (11ft 10in x 19ft 8in).
- The dimensions of other designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) vary in size.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There is a designated drop-off point.
- The drop-off point is located in front of the main entrance.
- There is a dropped kerb from the drop-off point.
- The dropped kerb does not have tactile paving.
- There are parking charges for the hospital car park.
- Payment signs are provided.
- Payment signs are clearly presented.
- Payment signs are located throughout the car park.
- Payment signs do make it clear if parking charges apply to Blue Badge holders.
- Parking is free for Blue Badge holders.
- Payment machines are located close to the Blue Badge parking bays.
- There is not a payment machine at a convenient height for wheelchair users.
- To see the hospital parking charges please click here (opens new tab).
Access to the Hospital
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is/are uneven surfaces.
- The hospital entrance is clearly visible from the car park.
- The nearest designated Blue Badge parking bay is approximately 78m (85yd 11in) from the main entrance.
- In order to ensure vehicles are registered for free parking on the day of attendance, Blue Badge holders are required to provide their registration number to reception, by telephone to 0191 2231353 or via email to [email protected] This applies for each visit to the hospital.
Getting To (Subway)
- Subway is/are located on Level 2 in the Victoria Wing.
- To see the hospital map please click here (opens new tab).
- Access to Subway is via the main hospital entrance.
- Enter via the main hospital entrance and continue to the lifts on the left. Take the lift to Level 2. Exit the lift, turn right and then left and follow the walkway to Subway.
- There is step free access, via lift, to Subway.
- Subway is approximately 40m from the lift.
- Wayfinding signage is not provided.
- There is some flooring in corridors which is shiny and could cause issues with glare or look slippery to some people.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the hospital.
- The entrance area/door is not clearly signed.
- There is step free access at this entrance.
- There is a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- The entrance door(s) does not/do not contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- The main door(s) open(s) by revolving.
- The width of the door opening is 220cm.
- There is not a level landing at the top of the ramp/slope.
- There is a touch button available that is used to slow the door.
- The touch button is at a suitable height for a wheelchair user.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are G-1-2-3-4-5-6.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps are deep (18cm+).
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- There is a landing.
- The lighting levels are low.
- Escalator(s) can be used to access other floors.
- The floors which are accessible by escalator are G-1.
- The escalators steps are not clearly marked.
- The foot and head of the escalators are not clearly marked.
- The lighting levels are bright.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located to the right of the Atrium.
- The lift is approximately 17m (18yd 1ft) from the main hospital entrance.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are G-1-2-3-4-5-6.
- Staff do not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The clear door width is 110cm (3ft 7in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 160cm x 140cm (5ft 3in x 4ft 7in).
- There are not separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does have an audible announcer.
- The controls for the lift are within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- The lift does not have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The lighting level in the lift is medium.
- Monday 07:00 - 21:30.
- Tuesday 07:00 - 21:00.
- Wednesday 07:00 - 21:30.
- Thursday 07:00 - 21:30.
- Friday 07:00 - 21:30.
- Saturday 07:00 - 21:30.
- Sunday 10:00 - 19:00.
- The counter is clearly visible from the lift.
- There is step free access to the counter, via lift.
- The lighting levels at the counter are medium.
- The height of the counter is medium height (77cm - 109cm).
- There is sufficient space to write or sign documents on the counter.
- There is not a low section of the counter (76cm or below) available.
- The counter is staffed.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
Eating and Drinking
- The following information is for the restaurant.
- Full table service is not available.
- Food or drinks are ordered from the service counter.
- Food or drinks can be brought to the table.
- No tables are permanently fixed.
- No chairs are permanently fixed.
- No chairs have armrests.
- The nearest table is approximately 1m (3ft 3in) from the food area entrance.
- The standard height for tables is 63cm.
- Plastic / takeaway cups are not available.
- Plastic / takeaway cutlery is available.
- Drinking straws are available.
- There is ample room for a wheelchair user to manoeuvre.
- Menus are wall only.
- Menus are not available in Braille.
- Menus are not available in large print.
- Picture menus are not available.
- Menus are clearly written.
- Menus are presented in contrasting colours.
- The type of food served here is hot and cold sandwiches and snacks.
- Accessible toilet facilities are not available.
- The nearest accessible toilet is located on the main corridor leading to the multi-story car park.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are not available.
- The nearest accessible toilet is located on the main corrdior leading to the multi-story car park.
Related Access Guides
- To view other access guides that are related to this one please use the links below.
- Royal Victoria Infirmary Main Entrance link (new tab) - click here.