Show Easy Read
- Services / facilities within the building include teaching rooms, staff offices, meeting room, the Centre for Constitutional Change.
Rooms and Spaces Links
- Monday 07:30 - 18:30.
- Tuesday 07:30 - 18:30.
- Wednesday 07:30 - 18:30.
- Thursday 07:30 - 18:30.
- Friday 07:30 - 18:30.
- Saturday Closed.
- Sunday Closed.
- This building is located at the Holyrood campus in the centre of Edinburgh, between The Royal Mile and Holyrood Road.
- The Transport and Parking Office of the University of Edinburgh manages parking at the University. University car parks are for the use of permit holders only and are subject to the university’s parking regulations. Permits are available for visitors to the university.
- This building is served by the number 35 bus stopping at the Canongate Kirk bus stop on The Royal Mile, or the number 6 bus stopping at the Hammerman's Entry bus stop on Holyrood Road. Real time travel information is available at the majority of Bus Stops.
- The Holyrood site is approximately half a mile from Edinburgh Waverley Train Station, the city's main train station. Buses are available from the station to the site.
- To see the university's webpage for travel and parking information for the King's Buildings please use this link.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
- To see more information on The Advice Place please click here (opens new tab).
- Telephone Number: 0131 650 9225.
- Email: [email protected]
- To see more information on The Student Disability Service please click here (opens new tab).
- Telephone Number: 0131 650 6828.
- Email: [email protected]
- To see more information on Student Recruitment and Admissions please click here (opens new tab).
- Telephone Number: 0131 650 4360.
- To see more information on Accommodation please click here (opens new tab).
- Telephone Number: 0131 667 1971.
- Email: [email protected]
- Staff receive Disability Equality Training.
Site/Campus Car Park
- The car park is located in the centre of the Holyrood campus.
- The nearest building(s) to this car park is/are Moray Nursery School.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- The car park surface is block paving.
- Designated Blue Badge parking bays are available.
- The Blue Badge bay(s) is/are signposted but have no markings.
- There is/are 2 designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) within this car park.
Charges and Restrictions
- This car park can be used by Blue Badge holders.
- There are no parking charges.
- Signs are provided to give information on parking charges/restrictions.
- Signs are clearly presented.
Drop Off Point
- There is not a designated drop off point in this car park.
Car Park Access
- There is sloped access to the car park from the St John's Land building.
- This car park is not clearly signposted from the St John's Land building.
- The nearest designated bay is 38m (41yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building, in the Holyrood Campus courtyard.
- There is ramped/sloped access at this entrance.
- The intercom is not in a suitable position to allow wheelchair users to gain access.
- The intercom is at a height of 125cm.
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically (towards you).
- The door(s) is/are push pad activated.
- The door(s) is / are double.
- The width of the door opening is 118cm (3ft 10in).
- There is a ramp/slope at this entrance.
- The ramp/slope is located in front of the entrance.
- The ramp/slope gradient is easy.
- The ramp is permanent.
- There is step free access throughout the building via lift(s).
- There is an easy ramp, with no handrails, for access to the lift from the main entrance.
- The width of the ramp is 123cm (4ft).
- This level change is shown in photographs 5 and 6.
- There are doors in corridors which have to be opened manually.
- There is clear signage for building facilities/areas in the foyer/reception area.
- There is clearly written directional signage at key points of circulation routes.
- There is good colour contrast between the walls and floor in the majority of corridors.
- The lighting levels are varied.
- This building does not play background music.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are G-1-2-3-4.
- The stairs are located ahead as you enter via the main entrance.
- The stairs are approximately 4m from the main entrance.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The lighting levels are medium.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps are medium (11cm - 17cm).
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on the left going up.
- There is a landing.
- There are handrails on both sides to the first landing.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located to the left as you enter via the main entrance.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are G-1-2-3-4.
- Wall mounted information boards are provided at lift landings.
- The lift is approximately 5m (5yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- Staff do not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The clear door width is 80cm (2ft 7in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 110cm x 140cm (3ft 7in x 4ft 7in).
- There are separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is not a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does have an audible announcer.
- The lift does not have a hearing loop system.
- The lift does have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The controls for the lift are within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- The lighting level in the lift is medium.
- There are accessible toilet facilities within this venue.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- This accessible toilet is approximately 22m (24yd 2in) from the lift.
- This accessible toilet is located to the left of the building on the fourth floor as you exit the lift.
- There is level access to this accessible toilet.
- This is by lift.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a lever twist.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 94cm (3ft 1in).
- The door is heavy.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 177cm x 195cm (5ft 10in x 6ft 5in).
- There is not a clear 150cm x 150cm manoeuvring space in the accessible toilet.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the right.
- The lateral transfer space is 121cm (3ft 12in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- There is an emergency pull cord alarm in the cubicle.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is not fully functional.
- The alarm was out of reach (higher than 10cm (4") from floor) when surveyed.
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- There is a/are female sanitary and open waste paper bin disposal units.
- There is not a/are not coat hook(s).
Position of Fixtures
- Wall-mounted grab rails are available.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There is not a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- There is a mirror.
- Mirrors are not placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 43cm (1ft 5in).
- There is not a hand dryer.
- There is a towel dispenser.
- The towel dispenser cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The towel dispenser is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- The height of the toilet roll holder is 101cm (3ft 4in).
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
- The height of the wash basin is 76cm (2ft 6in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is poor.
- The toilet seat colour contrast is poor.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are medium.
Location of Standard Toilet(s)
- There are male and female standard toilets facilities on the third floor and the fourth floor.
Standard Toilet Surveyed
- A male standard toilet was surveyed.
- The toilet surveyed is located on the fourth floor, to the left as you exit the lift.
- There is a female standard toilet in the same location.
- There is step free access to the standard toilet(s) surveyed from the entrance.
- The standard toilet surveyed is approximately 6m from the lift.
- There is not a/are not cubicle(s) suitable for ambulant disabled people in the standard toilet(s) surveyed.
- Lighting levels in the standard toilet surveyed are good.