- The information in this section was taken in October 2020.
- UCLH are doing everything they can to keep you safe.
Below is some information about what they are doing and what you will find during your visit –
- UCLH will care for you outside of hospital settings where possible, by offering telephone of video consultations.
- The hospitals have one-way systems in place to keep everyone as socially distanced as possible. Please follow these routes and use the designated entrances and exits
- Any patients who have COVID-19 or are suspected to have COVID19 will be using a different route in and out of the hospitals.
- You will be asked to clean your hands with hand sanitiser as soon as you arrive. There are hand sanitising stations throughout the hospitals.
- You will be asked to wear a face mask or face covering while you are on the hospital premises.
- All staff are wearing face masks throughout the hospitals.
- For some appointments, staff may wear more protective equipment than you are used to.
- UCLH have limited the number of people using the lifts at any one time so you may want to allow extra time for your appointment. If it is possible for you to use the stairs instead, please do so.
- You will find in seating areas there is signage on which chairs to use, this is to help keep people socially distanced.
- UCLH have made all of these changes to ensure that they can continue to do what we do best, caring for you safely.
If you want to find out more about what UCLH are doing to keep you safe from COVID-19, please visit their website www.uclh.nhs.uk .
Getting To The Hospital
- Access to the University College Hospital (UCH) is via the A400, turning right onto Grafton Way. Continue along Grafton Way and rejoin the A400. Turn right onto Beaumont Place before reaching Warren Street tube station. University College Hospital (UCH) is not located within the congestion zone.
- No car parking (other than for Blue Badge holders) is available at University College Hospital (UCH). The designated Blue Badge parking bays are located at the rear of the hospital on Beaumont Place.
- The following buses are used to access the University College Hospital (UCH): Tottenham Court Road - Northbound (Warren Street station) - no's 10, 73, 24, 29, 134. Gower Street - Southbound (University Street) - no's 10, 24, 29, 73, 134. Euston Road - no's 18, 27, 30, 88. Warren Street (bus stop W) – no's 18 and 205.
- The nearest National Rail station is Euston.
- Warren Street (Northern / Victoria Lines) and Euston Square (Circle / Hammersmith & City / Metropolitan Lines) are the closest tube stations to University College Hospital (UCH). The tube stations are located at opposite ends of the hospital main building. Traffic light controlled pedestrian crossing points are located adjacent to each tube station. Euston Square station has lift access from the platform to the street.
- This link takes you to the University College Hospital (UCH) page with information on travelling to the hospital. Travel information is subject to change. Please check the latest information before planning your journey.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
- Comments View
Getting Help and Assistance
- There is a Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at the hospital.
- The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is located on the ground floor of the hospital in the Atrium.
- The telephone number for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is 020 3447 3042.
- The email address for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is [email protected]
- There are volunteers available for help and assistance at the hospital.
- Volunteers do not receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Hospital staff do not receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Volunteers can be found on the ground floor of the hospital in the Atrium.
- BSL interpreters can be provided on request.
- Language interpreters can be provided on request.
- Mobility aids are available to help patients move around and include; wheelchairs and crutches.
- To obtain mobility aids please contact the main reception.
Hospital Parking (Blue Badge Parking Only)
- The hospital does have a dedicated car park.
- The car parking facilities are for Blue Badge holders only.
- The car park is located at the rear of the hospital.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- The car park does not have a barrier control system.
- The car park surface is a shared surface.
- There is a/are clearly marked/signposted Blue Badge parking bay(s) available.
- The Blue Badge bay(s) is/are signposted but have no markings.
- There is/are 10 designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the hospital car park.
- The dimensions of the designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) surveyed are 360cm x 420cm (11ft 10in x 13ft 9in).
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There is a designated drop-off point.
- The drop-off point is located on Beaumont Place.
- There is a dropped kerb from the drop-off point.
- The dropped kerb does not have tactile paving.
- There are not parking charges for the hospital car park.
Access to the Hospital
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user unaided.
- The hospital entrance is clearly visible from the car park.
- The nearest designated Blue Badge parking bay is approximately 24m (26yd 9in) from the Blue Badge parking entrance.
- The dispensation notice is a Camden Council’s parking scheme for Blue Badge holders who are attending outpatients appointments at University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (UCLH). Areas in Camden, south of the Euston Road, are not covered by the national Blue Badge disabled parking scheme. If you want to park near, or in UCLH disabled parking bays, you will need to apply for a parking dispensation to use with your Blue Badge.
- Please note: Dispensations are only issued to outpatients with Blue Badges who are attending hospital appointments. They are not issued to carers, relatives, visitors or friends who are Blue Badge holders bringing a non-Blue Badge holder patient to an appointment.
- Blue Badge parking bays cannot be booked in advance.
- The UCLH email address for Blue Badge parking enquiries is [email protected]
Applying for Parking Dispensation
- As it is not necessary for UCH staff to see the Blue Badge at the time of issuing a dispensation notice, a notice can be issued in advance and posted or emailed to patients. This avoids the need for patients/carers to park illegally on the day while they come in to get their dispensation notice.
- The details that will be required when requesting in advance are - Blue Badge serial number, date of expiry and issuing authority/council. Also required will be vehicle registration number, date of appointment and time of appointment.
- Patients can call 0203 447 3013 to request a dispensation notice in advance.
- Calls will be answered whenever possible but a voicemail facility will also be in place for times when the phone cannot be answered, including out of hours. All patients should receive a call back within one working day of a message being left acknowledging the message.
- Both telephone and email applications will be coordinated by the UCH main reception team. Cancer Centre dispensations that the UCH main reception team are unable to deal with will be forwarded to the Cancer centre team at [email protected]
- Five working days should be allowed by patients/carers to receive their dispensation notice in the post, to allow time for the request to be processed and received in by second class post.
- An email request option is offered where the completed dispensation will be emailed so the patient/carer can print prior to arriving for their appointment, email requests are via [email protected]
- Contact details will be put on all outpatient letters.
- In addition, patients/carers should be encouraged, where they know the date and time of their next appointment, to get their dispensation notice prior to leaving the hospital.
- As long as the future appointment can be verified then there is no time limit on how far in advance a specific dated dispensation notice can be issued.
- On your first visit to UCH or the UCH Macmillan Cancer Centre you need to park your car and bring the following to the reception desk - your valid Blue Badge, your vehicle registration document or Motability documents, proof of hospital attendance, showing appointment time and date e.g. clinic appointment letter.
- Dispensation notices are issued at the main reception at the UCH site (07.00-20.00 Monday to Friday and 08.00-16.00 on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays).
- They can also be obtained from UCH Macmillan Cancer Centre Site – Main Ground Floor Reception (08.00-20.00 Monday to Friday only).
- Radiotherapy patients receive a dispensation notice directly from the Radiotherapy department.
- On the UCH site, security staff, at the security desk in the UCH Atrium and at the Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Hospital EGAH reception are able to issue dispensation notices out of hours.
- The maximum period staff are allowed to issue a dispensation notice is for 31 calendar days, any requests for dispensation notices for more than 31 calendar days should be sent to the Operations Manager, Property and Transport Services at [email protected]
Getting To (Refresh Restaurant)
- Refresh Restaurant is/are located on the ground floor of the podium.
- Access to Refresh Restaurant is via the Blue Badge parking entrance.
- From the Blue Badge parking entrance cross the Atrium then turn left onto the corridor. The Refresh Restaurant is located at the end of the corridor.
- There is step free access to Refresh Restaurant.
- Refresh Restaurant is approximately 105m from the Blue Badge parking entrance.
- Wayfinding signage is provided.
- There is flooring in corridors which is shiny and could cause issues with glare or look slippery to some people.
Outside Access (Blue Badge Parking Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the rear of the hospital.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed.
- There is step free access at this entrance.
- The entrance door(s) does not/do not contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically (towards you).
- The main automatic door(s) is/are push pad activated.
- The door(s) is/are double width.
- The width of the door opening is 170cm.
- Next to the automatic doors is a set of revolving doors.
- There is a touch sensor button at both the entry and exit points that will slow the revolving doors down.
- The width of the revolving door openings is 187cm.
- Monday 07:30 - 20:00.
- Tuesday 07:30 - 20:00.
- Wednesday 07:30 - 20:00.
- Thursday 07:30 - 20:00.
- Friday 07:30 - 20:00.
- Saturday 08:00 - 17:30.
- Sunday 08:00 - 17:30.
Entrance (Refresh Restaurant)
- This information is for the entrance located at the rear of the ground floor corridor.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed with the name of the service/department.
- There is step free access at this entrance.
- The main door(s) open(s) away from you (push).
- The door(s) is/are double width.
- The door(s) is/are permanently held open.
- The width of the door opening is 180cm.
- There is a second set of doors.
- The door(s) open(s) towards you (pull).
- The door(s) is/are double width.
- The door(s) is/are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 124cm.
- There is level access to the service(s).
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- This venue does not play background music.
- The type of flooring in walkways and corridors is vinyl/laminate.
- The lighting levels are medium.
Eating and Drinking
- The following information is for the restaurant.
- Full table service is not available.
- Food or drinks are ordered from the service counter.
- Food or drinks can be brought to the table.
- There is not a lowered section at the counter.
- Some tables are permanently fixed.
- No chairs are permanently fixed.
- Some chairs have armrests.
- The nearest table is approximately 15m (16yd 1ft) from the restaurant entrance.
- The distance between the floor and the lowest table is 73cm (2ft 5in).
- The distance between the floor and the highest table is 100cm (3ft 3in).
- The standard height for tables is 73cm.
- Plastic / takeaway cups are available.
- Plastic / takeaway cutlery is available.
- Drinking straws are available.
- There is ample room for a wheelchair user to manoeuvre.
- Menus are wall only.
- Menus are clearly written.
- Menus are presented in contrasting colours.
- The type of food served here is various hot and cold meals.
- Assistance can be provided by staff on request.
- There is an/are accessible toilet(s) within this venue designated for public use.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- This accessible toilet is located to the left as you enter.
- This accessible toilet is approximately 2m (2yd 7in) from the restaurant entrance.
- There is level access to this accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a lever twist.
- The door is heavy.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 85cm (2ft 9in).
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 214cm x 156cm (7ft x 5ft 1in).
- The accessible toilet does not have an unobstructed minimum turning space of 150cm x 150cm in front of the seat.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the right.
- The lateral transfer space is 82cm (2ft 8in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- The tap type is push.
- There is not a mixer tap.
- There is an emergency alarm.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is not fully functional.
- The alarm was out of reach (higher than 10cm (4") from floor) when surveyed.
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- There is a/are coat hook(s).
- The coat hook is within 120cm (3ft 11in) from floor level.
Position of Fixtures
- Wall-mounted grab rails are available.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There is not a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- There is a mirror.
- Mirrors are not placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 47cm (1ft 7in).
- There is a hand dryer.
- The hand dryer cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The hand dryer is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is not a towel dispenser.
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- The height of the toilet roll holder is 103cm (3ft 5in).
- There is a soap dispenser.
- The soap dispenser can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The height of the soap dispenser is 100cm.
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
- The height of the wash basin is 80cm (2ft 7in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is good.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is good.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are medium.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are available.
Access to Standard Female and Male Toilet(s)
- The female and male toilet facilities that were surveyed are located to the left as you enter.
- The female and male toilets are 3m (3yd 10in) from the restaurant entrance.
- Inside the venue, there is level access to the female and male toilets.
- An ambulant toilet with wall mounted grab rails is not available.
- Lighting levels are medium.