Show Easy Read
- Related link Great Wilkins Reception.
- Related link Falmer Campus.
- Great Wilkins Halls of Residence is only accessible from the campus via car due to steep slopes, steps and uneven surfaces throughout the campus.
- The venue is situated within the centre of the campus.
- This venue is situated in the Falmer Campus.
- The venue is situated on a road which has a steep gradient.
- The nearest mainline station is Falmer.
- There is a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
- The venue does have its own car park.
Venue Car Park
- The car park is in the inner courtyard.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do need to be booked in advance.
- There are 6 designated parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the designated parking bay(s) are 450cm x 350cm (14ft 9in x 11ft 6in).
- The nearest designated bay is 12m (13yd) from the Block B entrance.
- The furthest designated bay is 31m (34yd) from the Block B entrance.
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is / are slopes/ramps.
- The car park surface is block paving.
- The patron does not have to cross a road.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- There is not a designated drop off point.
- The inner courtyard car park is for residents with disabilities only, reception staff and deliveries.
- It can be used as a pick up and drop off point at the start and end of term.
Outside Access (Block B Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building.
- There is not level access into the venue.
- The intercom is not in a suitable position to allow wheelchair users to gain access.
- The main doors open automatically.
- The doors are single width.
- The door opening is 78cm (2ft 7in) wide.
- The automatic door requires a residents key card to operate.
- The key pad is located at the bottom of the ramp.
- There is similiar access to Blocks A and C, but these do not have automatic doors.
Level Change (Block B Entrance)
- There is a ramp or slope to access this service.
- The ramp or slope is located in front of the entrance.
- The ramp or slope is moderate.
- The ramp or slope is permanent.
- There is a level landing at the top of the ramp.
- The ramp has a handrail on the left hand side going up.
- There is level access to the service.
- This venue does not play background music.
- Lighting levels are varied.
- Motorised scooters are allowed in public parts of the venue.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are G-1-2-3.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The lighting level is medium.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps are medium.
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- There is a landing.
- The lift is located opposite the entrance.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are G-1-2.
- The lift is 4m (13ft 1in) from Block B entrance.
- The clear door width is 80cm (2ft 7in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 104cm x 137cm (3ft 5in x 4ft 6in).
- There are not separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does have an audible announcer.
- The lift controls do not have Braille markings.
- The controls for the lift are not within reach for a wheelchair user.
- The control are above 110 cm.
- The lighting level in the lift is medium.
- The details here are for the lift in Block B.
- There is an identical lift in the other 2 blocks.
Location of Accessible Accommodation
- The establishment provides 4 accessible accommodation facilities with an ensuite and/or separate accessible bathroom.
- The accessible facilities are located in Block B.
- The room number viewed was Flat 3 room 2.
- The width of the door to the room is 80cm (2ft 7in).
- The dimensions of the clear floor space are 160cm x 200cm (5ft 3in x 6ft 7in).
- The bed is 60cm (1ft 12in) high.
- The measurement between the bed base and floor is 31cm (1ft 0in).
- Light switches are within 120cm (3ft 11in) from floor level.
- There is not a functional emergency alarm in the room.
- No emergency alarm is fitted in the room.
- Other accessible facilities available in the bedroom are an accessible oven, sink and hob in the shared kitchen.
- Assistance dogs are welcome to stay with residents in accessible accommodation.
- The information relates to the ensuite.
- The dimensions of the bathroom are 155cm x 150cm (5ft 1in x 4ft 11in).
- The door opens outwards.
- The width of the door to the bathroom is 88cm (2ft 11in).
- The door is light.
- There is a functional emergency alarm in the bathroom.
- It is a push button style of alarm.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 45cm (1ft 6in).
- There is a sink.
- The sink can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The height of the sink is 73cm (2ft 5in).
- There is a mixer tap.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- The measurement of lateral transfer space is 140cm (4ft 7in).
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the right.
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- Wall mounted grab rails are available.
- As you face the toilet pan the wall mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There are mirrors.
- The mirrors are placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- Disposal facilities are not available.
Bath and Shower
- There is not a bath.
Wheel In Shower
- There is a wheel in shower.
- The shower head height is adjustable.
- The type of shower controls used are twist/turn.
- The shower seat is flip down.
- The shower seat height is 50cm (1ft 8in).
- There are handrails available.
Colour contrast and lighting in accessible rooms
- The colour contrast between the external room door and wall is poor.
- The colour contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The colour contrast between the internal room door and wall is good.
- The colour contrast between external ensuite / bathroom door and wall is poor.
- Lighting levels are medium.
Colour contrast and lighting in accessible bathroom
- The colour contrast between the internal bathroom door and wall is poor.
- The colour contrast between the walls and floor in the bathroom is fair.
- The colour contrast between the drop down rails and wall is poor.
- The colour contrast between the grab rails and wall is poor.
- Lighting levels are medium.
Auxiliary Aids - General
- Some of the rooms have auxiliary aids for people with sensory impairments.
- Flashing alarms is available.
- Flashing fire alarms are in rooms.
- The accommodation does not provide any other auxiliary aids for people with mobility impairments.
- There are 4 accessible rooms with wheel in showers.
Ground Floor Rooms
- Ground floor rooms do have level access.
Standard Rooms on Other Floors
- There are standard rooms on other floors.
- Photograph 2 shows the shared kitchen in Flat 2, which also contains 2 adapted rooms.
- Here, the hob and sink are lowered to a height of 74cm.
- Staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Documents can be requested in Braille.
- Documents can be requested in large print.
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is not generally on duty.
- This service can be requested.
- Staff are not Text Relay aware.