- This is a route from the Rolle Building to the Nancy Astor Building.
- The route is approximately 260m long.
- It takes less than 5 minutes to complete the route.
- The route is pedestrianised throughout its length.
- The pedestrianised surface is block paved.
- All the buildings are clearly named and there are some wall and finger signs.
- A large marquee is often sited on the Piazza.
- There is signage on the barriers around the marquee showing the alternative access.
- For more information about the Temporary Marquee on the Piazza please click here (opens in new tab).
- Throughout the campus, University vehicles may use the pedestrian areas.
- They are restricted to 5mph and the pedestrians have right of way.
- The campus is situated on a hillside and there are sections of the route with steep gradients.
Rolle Building Temporary Main Entrance via James Street to Mary Newman Hall
- Exit the Rolle Building temporary main entrance, shown in photograph 1, and turn left along James Street, shown in photograph 2.
- This pavement has an even tarmac surface and is on a steep gradient.
- Turn left once you have passed the Rolle Building and cross the pedestrian area in front of the building, shown in photograph 3.
- There is a set of steps on the left of the area with corduroy tactile paving at the bottom.
- Continue along the front of the Rolle Building to the Piazza.
- At the time of survey there was a large marquee in the Piazza.
- This marquee is shown in photograph 4.
- Continue straight on reaching the Piazza along the side of the Brunel Building.
- There is a step with corduroy tactile paving along the left of the path.
- There is a series of lamp posts and a bin along the path which narrow the path to 105cm.
- This area is shown in photographs 5 and 6.
- On reaching the end of the marquee and the row of low level planters, shown in photograph 7, turn left.
- Proceed up between the Fitzroy Building and Marquee.
- There is a set of steps on the right with a line of corduroy tactile paving at the bottom, as shown in photograph 8.
- At the end of the marquee turn right around the Fitzroy Building and head across the front of the Fitzroy Building, shown in photographs 10 and 11.
- There is a lamp post on the corner of the path as shown in photograph 9.
- Continue straight past the end of the Fitzroy Building and between the Mary Newman Hall and Immersive Vision (IV) Theatre.
- There is a low-level planter between the two buildings which is 58cm high and leaves 155cm of clear path on each side. This area is shown in photograph 12.
Mary Newman Hall to Nancy Astor Building
- Beyond Mary Newman Hall turn left and go up the easy slope, shown in photographs 1 and 2, for approximately 50m towards the Nancy Astor Building.
- There is a gutter in the pathway to your right which does not contrast with the surrounding surface, shown in photograph 3.
- There are small trees set in the paving.
- At the top of the slope a group of low level planters protects the pathway from the road, these are shown in photographs 4 and 5.
- At this point the gutter is shallow, shown in photograph 6.
- Turn right near the planters across the slope and turn left onto the sloping pavement approaching the main entrance to the Nancy Astor Building, photographs 7 and 8.