- There are several blocks of accommodation available at Harrow Hill.
- For disabled students there are 2 types of accommodation available, Standard and Large.
- This access guide has been compiled for one example of the large disabled accommodation that is available.
- The venue is situated outside the centre of the town.
- This venue is situated in Harrow.
- The nearest mainline station is Kenton.
- The nearest underground station is Northwick Park.
- The venue does have its own car park.
- Parking is not free for all users.
- Parking is free for Blue Badge holders.
Venue Car Park
- The car park is located in front of the main entrance.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There is/are 3 Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the Blue Badge parking bay(s) are 350cm x 590cm (11ft 6in x 19ft 4in).
- Designated parking bays are clearly marked.
- The nearest Blue Badge bay is 14m (15yd 11in) from the main entrance.
- The furthest Blue Badge bay is 16m (17yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user unaided.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is a dropped kerb between the car park and the venue.
- The dropped kerb does not have tactile paving.
- There is not a road to cross between the car park and the entrance.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- There is not a designated drop off point.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building.
- There is level access into the venue.
- The intercom is in a suitable position to allow wheelchair users to gain access.
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically.
- The door(s) is / are double.
- The width of the door opening is 110cm (3ft 7in).
- Access to the building through this entrance is key operated.
- Intercoms are 80 - 83 cm high.
Outside Access (Flats 65 - 70 Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located to the left of the main entrance and Blue Badge bays.
- There is ramped/sloped access at this entrance.
- There is not a bell/buzzer.
- There is an intercom.
- There is not a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically (towards you).
- The door(s) is / are single.
- The width of the door opening is 94cm (3ft 1in).
- There is a small lip on the threshold of the entrance, with a height of less than 2cm.
- The ramp/slope is located to the right as you face the entrance.
- The ramp/slope gradient is slight.
- The ramp is permanent.
- The intercoms are 148 - 160 cm high.
- There is level access to the service(s).
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- This venue does not play background music.
- The lighting levels are varied.
- There are communal kitchens available.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are G-1-2-3-4.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- There are manual, light, single doors to access the stairwell from the first floor upwards.
- The lighting levels are medium.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps are medium (11cm - 17cm).
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- There is a landing.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located in the foyer area.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are G-1-2-3-4.
- Wall mounted information boards are not provided at lift landings.
- There are manual, heavy, single doors to access the lift lobby from the first floor upwards.
- The lift is approximately 3m (3yd 10in) from the main entrance.
- Staff do not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The clear door width is 90cm (2ft 11in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 110cm x 140cm (3ft 7in x 4ft 7in).
- There are not separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does not have an audible announcer.
- The lift does not have a hearing loop system.
- The lift does not have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The controls for the lift are within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- The lighting level in the lift is medium.
Location of Accessible Accommodation
- There is level access from an accessible entrance.
- The room number viewed was 84B.
- The width of the door to the room is 87cm (2ft 10in).
- The dimensions of the clear floor space are 155cm x 200cm (5ft 1in x 6ft 7in).
- The bed is 52cm (1ft 8in) high.
- The measurement between the bed base and floor is 44cm (1ft 5in).
- Light switches are within 120cm (4ft) from floor level.
- There is a functional emergency alarm in the room.
- Assistance dogs are welcome to stay with residents in accessible accommodation.
- The information relates to the ensuite.
- The dimensions of the bathroom are 160cm x 170cm (5ft 3in x 5ft 7in).
- The door opens sliding.
- The width of the door to the bathroom is 86cm (2ft 10in).
- The door is easy to open.
- There is a functional emergency alarm in the bathroom.
- The door is locked by a twist lock.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 45cm (1ft 6in).
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm in height.
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The height of the wash basin is 80cm (2ft 7in).
- There is a mixer tap.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- The measurement of lateral transfer space is 140cm (4ft 7in).
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the left.
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- Wall mounted grab rails are available for the toilet.
- As you face the toilet pan the wall mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There are mirrors.
- The mirrors are not placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- Disposal facilities are not available.
Bath and Shower
- There is not a bath.
Wheel In Shower
- There is a wheel in shower.
- The shower head height is adjustable.
- The type of shower controls used are lever.
- The shower seat is flip-down.
- The shower seat height is 43cm (1ft 5in).
- There are handrails available for the shower.
Colour contrast and lighting in accessible rooms
- The colour contrast between the external room door and wall is good.
- The colour contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The colour contrast between the internal room door and wall is good.
- The colour contrast between external ensuite / bathroom door and wall is good.
- The lighting levels are good.
Colour contrast and lighting in accessible bathroom
- The colour contrast between the internal bathroom door and wall is good.
- The colour contrast between the walls and floor in the bathroom is good.
- The colour contrast between the dropdown rails and wall is poor.
- The colour contrast between the grab rails and wall is poor.
- Lighting levels are good.
Auxiliary Aids - General
- Some of the rooms have auxiliary aids for people with sensory impairments.
- Available auxiliary aids include flashing alarms and vibrating pillows.
- There is / are 8 accessible room(s) with a wheel in shower.
- Flat 65, on the ground floor just inside of the Flat 65 - 70 entrance, has a card operated automatic door, 87cm wide which opens outwards (photograph 5). None of the rooms within Flat 65 (including the accessible room) have automatic doors.
- Staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Documents can be requested in Braille.
- Documents can be requested in large print.
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is not generally on duty.
- Staff are Text Relay aware.