Show Easy Read
Getting To The Hospital
- Cambridge University Hospitals are well sign posted from most parts of Cambridge. If you are driving from outside Cambridge, there is easy access to the campus via Addenbrooke's Road, signed from Junction 11 on the M11. Use of this road is restricted to those with legitimate business on campus. The post code for a Sat Nav is CB2 0QQ. Cambridge University Hospitals have direct links with most of the Cambridgeshire Park and Ride sites. This is a good option for those travelling by car and if your visit is going to last more than two hours.
- Cambridge University Hospitals has 2 main car parks for patients and visitors. Car park 1 has 750 patient and visitors spaces including 63 disabled spaces. Car park 2 has 600 patient and visitors space including 63 disabled spaces. All car parks are barrier operated on the entrances and exits. Parking is ‘Pay on Foot’. Pay on foot means you pay when you are ready to leave, not in advance, you pay for the actual time parked. For Outpatients appointments Clinics 1-19, please park in car park 1. For the emergency department there are 5 reserved 30 minute dropping and collecting bays outside the entrance, then park in car park 1. For Addenbrooke's Treatment Centre (ATC) clinics 30 to 33 and Day Surgery, please park in car park 2. For Rosie Hospital and clinics 20-24 please park in car park 2. For Blue Badge holders designated spaces are found across the campus and within car parks 1 & 2. Visitors parking is located in either car park 1 or 2.
- Nearly 60 buses an hour serve Addenbrooke's Hospital on weekdays from both within the City of Cambridge and beyond. The site is also well served at weekends, though buses are less frequent outside of working hours. The hospital has its own bus station at the Hills Road entrance to the site. The majority of buses pick up and drop off here.
- Cambridge Railway Station is well served by trains from a wide area and is about two miles from Cambridge University Hospitals. There are good options to get to Cambridge University Hospitals from the station. To get a bus turn left out of the station and bus stops for the campus are about 100m on the left. There are frequent buses and you can take a Guided Bus, a Green Park & Ride bus or a regular bus to Addenbrooke's. Tickets can be bought on the bus. If you buy a PlusBus train ticket this will also cover your bus travel to and from Campus and is a good deal. You can walk or cycle to Cambridge University Hospitals either by following the path besides the Guided Busway or along Hills Road.
- Please click on the link below for more information on bus timetables.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
- Please click on the link below for more information on train times.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
Getting Help and Assistance
- There is a Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at the hospital.
- The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is located off the corridor, to the left as you enter.
- The telephone number for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is 01223 216 756.
- The email address for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- There are volunteers available for help and assistance at the hospital.
- Volunteers can be found at the main reception.
- Volunteers do not receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Hospital staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Hospital staff receive deaf awareness training.
- The alternative formats documents can be provided in include; Braille on request, large print on request, Makaton on request and different languages on request.
- There is not an assistance dog toilet or toileting area on the hospital site.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are available.
- BSL interpreters can be provided on request.
- Language interpreters can be provided on request.
- A mobility scooter charging point is not available at the hospital.
- Mobility aids are available to help patients move around and include; wheelchairs.
- To obtain mobility aids please contact the main reception of each building.
- Mobility aids are located at all major entrances.
- Additional hospital services link (new tab) - click here.
- Please note that the street level floor of all the hospitals are called 'Level 2'.
Outside Access (Multi-Story Car Park 2)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the Multi-Story Car Park 2 building.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed.
- There is step free access at this entrance.
- There is not a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- The entrance door(s) does/do contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically.
- The door(s) is/are double width.
- The width of the door opening is 156cm.
- There is a small lip on the threshold of the entrance, with a height of 1.5cm or below.
Hospital Parking (Multi-Story Car Park 2)
- The hospital does have a dedicated car park.
- The car park is located at the rear of Addenbrookes Hospital site opposite the entrance to Papworth Hospital Main Entrance.
- The car park type is multi storey.
- The car park does have a height restriction barrier.
- The maximum height is 2.1cm (1in).
- The car park does have a barrier control system.
- There is a touchscreen at the barrier.
- The barrier controls/touchscreen can be reached from the car.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is a/are clearly marked/signposted Blue Badge parking bay(s) available.
- There is/are 62 designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the hospital car park.
- The dimensions of the designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) surveyed are 312cm x 448cm (10ft 3in x 14ft 8in).
- There is a 120cm hatched zone around the Blue Badge parking bay(s).
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There is not a designated drop-off point.
- There are parking charges for the hospital car park.
- Payment signs are provided.
- Payment signs are clearly presented.
- Payment signs are located at the entrance to the car park and at either end of the car park.
- Payment signs do make it clear if parking charges apply to Blue Badge holders.
- Parking is not free for Blue Badge holders.
- Payment machines are located in the atrium.
- There is a payment machine at a convenient height for wheelchair users.
- There is a level turning space (minimum 185cm x 210cm) in front of the payment machine(s).
- To see the hospital parking charges please click here (opens new tab).
Access to the Hospital
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is/are uneven surfaces.
- The hospital entrance is not clearly visible from the car park.
- The route from the car park to the hospital entrance is clearly signposted.
- The Customer Service counter is located to the left as you enter.
- The counter is approximately 7m (7yd 1ft) from the Multi-Story Car Park 2 entrance.
- The counter is clearly visible from the entrance.
- There is step free access to the counter.
- The lighting levels at the counter are medium.
- The height of the counter is high (110cm+).
- There is sufficient space to write or sign documents on the counter.
- There is a low section of the counter (76cm or below) available.
- There is sufficient space to write or sign documents on the low section of the counter.
- There is a clear knee recess beneath the low section of the counter.
- The counter is staffed.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- Signs indicating the location of the stairs are clearly visible from the entrance.
- There are manual, heavy, double doors to enter and exit the stairwell on all floors.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The height of the step(s) is/are between the recommended 15cm and 18cm.
- The going of the step(s) is/are between the recommended 30cm and 45cm.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- Handrails are at the recommended height (90cm-100cm).
- Handrails do cover the flight of stairs throughout its length.
- Handrails are easy to grip.
- Handrails do extend horizontally beyond the first and last steps.
- There is a landing.
- The lighting levels are good.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located to the right as you enter.
- Signs indicating the location of this lift are clearly visible from the entrance.
- The lift is approximately 5m (5yd 1ft) from the Multi-Story Car Park 2 entrance.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- Staff do not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8.
- There are manual, heavy, double doors to access the lift lobby on all floors.
- Clear signs indicating the facilities on each floor are not provided on lift lobby landings.
- There is a clear level manoeuvring space of 150cm × 150cm in front of the lift.
- Lift doors do contrast visually with lift lobby walls.
- The external controls for the lift are within 90cm - 110cm from the floor.
- The colour contrast between the external lift controls and the control plate is fair.
- The colour contrast between the external lift control plate and the wall is poor.
- The clear door width is 91cm (2ft 12in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 111cm x 211cm (3ft 8in x 6ft 11in).
- There are not separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- There is a list of floor services available within the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does not have an audible announcer.
- The internal controls for the lift are within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- There is a hearing loop system.
- The lift does have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The lighting level in the lift is low.
Related Access Guides
- To view other DisabledGo access guides that are related to this one please use the links below.
- Addenbrooke’s Main Hospital Entrance link (new tab) - click here.