Show Easy Read
Getting To The Hospital
- From the M62: Leave the M62 motorway at junction 5, signed A5080 Knotty Ash and Huyton. Take the first exit from the roundabout, signed A5080 Knotty Ash and Broadgreen Hospital. Continue for approximately 1 mile, straight through the first set of traffic lights. At the next set of traffic lights turn right onto Thomas Lane (under a railway bridge). Continue for approximately half a mile and at the next traffic lights, turn left onto Thomas Drive and enter the hospital site on the right. From the city centre and Mersey Tunnels: The hospital is adjacent to the M62 approach road so follow signs to the M62 motorway. As you approach the motorway keep in the left-hand lane, proceed under the flyover and take the slip road signposted Broadgreen Hospital next to the M62 approach road. At the first set of traffic lights turn left into Thomas Lane and at the next set of traffic lights turn left into Thomas Drive. Turn right to enter the site at the main entrance. The postcode for the Sat-Nav is L14 3LB. The address for the hospital is: Broadgreen Hospital Thomas Drive Liverpool L14 3LB.
- The hospital also has a designated Blue Badge car park. Standard parking charges apply for Blue Badge holders in this car park. The Blue Badge car park is at the rear of the hospital site. There is also a multi-storey car park within the grounds of Broadgreen Hospital. The car park is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and charges apply. A shuttle bus service runs Monday to Friday 08:00 to 16:45 with several pick up points around the hospital grounds.
- There are a variety of bus services which operate from the surrounding areas and drop off at the hospital or within walking distance. To find information about times and services please contact the Merseytravel Traveline on 0871 200 2233 or follow the link below.
- Broadgreen train station is 5 to 10 minutes walk from the hospital. If you are travelling from further afield, Lime Street Station, which serves the city line, is less than 4 miles away in the city centre. Taxis are readily available from Lime Street Station and Merseytravel can provide details of bus services linking local train stations and the hospital.
- Merseytravel Web Link.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
- Google Map for journey between Broadgreen Rail Station to Broadgreen Hospital.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
Getting Help and Assistance
- There is not a Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at the hospital.
- The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is located in the Foyer of the Royal Liverpool University Hospital.
- The telephone number for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is 0151 706 4903.
- Hospital staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- No hospital staff receive deaf awareness training.
- The alternative formats documents can be provided in include; Braille on request, large print on request and different languages on request.
- There is an assistance dog toilet or toileting area on the hospital site.
- The assistance dog toilet or toileting area is located on the green areas around the site.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are available.
- BSL interpreters can be provided on request.
- Language interpreters can be provided on request.
- A mobility scooter charging point is not available at the hospital.
- Mobility aids are available to help patients move around and include; wheelchairs, tri wheel walkers, walking frames, walking sticks and crutches.
- To obtain mobility aids please contact the main reception or a member of staff.
- Registered assistance dogs are generally welcomed in all areas although departments with high risk from infection, such as wards and intensive care units, should be contacted in advance.
Parking (West Road and Other Parking Information)
- There is a designated drop off point.
- The drop off point is located off West Road.
- The hospital also has a designated Blue Badge car park.
- Standard parking charges apply for Blue Badge holders in this car park.
- The Blue Badge car park is at the rear of the hospital site.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There are 60+ designated parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the designated parking bay(s) are 3.5m x 5m (11ft 5in x 16ft 4in).
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is/are dropped kerbs.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is a dropped kerb/non stepped access from the car park to the venue.
- The dropped kerb does have tactile paving.
- The patron does have to cross a road.
- The road is not generally busy.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- A shuttle bus service operates between the car parks and different entrances.
- Additional Blue Badge parking areas are available outside the main and Alexandra Wing entrances.
- There are no parking charges in these areas.
- Patients and visitors can also park in the Vinci two storey car park which is on site and a 5 minute walk from the main hospital buildings.
- This car park does not have Blue Badge bays and standard parking charges apply.
Outside Access (West Road Entrance - Surgical Corridor - Green Zone Building)
- This information is for the entrance located off West Road.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed.
- There is ramped/sloped access at this entrance.
- There is a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- There are bollards outside this entrance.
- The minimum width between the bollards/wall is 125cm.
- The bollard(s) does/do not have a good colour contrast to prevent them being hazardous to visually impaired people.
- The entrance door(s) does/do contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- There is no hand sanitiser at this entrance.
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically (towards you).
- The door(s) is/are double width.
- The width of the door opening is 102cm.
- There is a small lip on the threshold of the entrance, with a height of 2cm or below.
- The ramp/slope is located leading to the West Road Entrance.
- The ramp/slope gradient is easy.
Getting Around (Surgical Corridor - Green Zone Building)
- There is step free access throughout the building.
- There is a steep slope, with no handrails, for access to St Luke's Chapel and Occupational Therapy Services off the Surgical Corridor - Green Zone.
- There is a constant level change via a slope for the length of the Surgical Corridor in the Green Zone Building.
- There is a slight ramp, with no handrails, for access to the Restaurant, Social Sevices, Multi Faith Room and General Office.
- There are doors in corridors which have to be opened manually.
- The type of flooring in walkways and corridors is vinyl.
- There is some flooring in corridors which is shiny and could cause issues with glare or look slippery to some people.
- Handrails are not provided in corridors.
- Seating is provided in some corridors.
- There is good colour contrast between the walls and floor in all corridors.
- The lighting levels are varied.
Signage and Wayfinding
- Wayfinding signage is provided.
- The colour, design and typeface of signs is consistent throughout the building.
- The wayfinding signage does not include pictograms.
- There is not a designated place of safety which can be used by people with dementia, autism or learning disabilities.
- This venue does not play background music in public areas.
- There is not a hearing assistance system in the public areas of the building.
- Accessible toilet facilities are not available.
- The Nearest accessible toilet is located in the Main Hospital Entrance Reception Foyer.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are available.
Access to Standard Female and Male Toilet(s)
- The female and male toilet facilities that were surveyed are located in the Surgical Corridor - Green Zone Building.
- The female and male toilets are approximately 20m (21yd 2ft) from the West Road entrance.
- Inside the venue, there is level access to the female and male toilets.
- Lighting levels are medium.
Related Access Guides
- To view other access guides that are related to this one please use the links below.
- Main Hospital Building Entrance and Reception link (new tab) - click here.