Show Easy Read
- Just one hour away from Edinburgh, Glentress offers superb walking, mountain biking, tree-top fun and magnificent views of the beautiful Tweed Valley.
- It’s one of the famous 7stanes mountain biking centres, with award-winning trails that attract riders from all over the UK and beyond. Walking at Glentress is great too, with airy views across the famous River Tweed and a chance to tread in the footsteps of Bronze Age and Iron Age people.
- After all your hiking and biking efforts, you can reward yourself with a coffee and a cake in the distinctive café that's built from local timber. Take a look at our guide map to the Tweed Valley Forest Park which will help you explore.
- For more information about Glentress Forest including parking charges, opening times and other trails please click here (opens in new tab).
- Glentress is just 1 ½ miles (2.4 km) east of Peebles on the A72. The main car park at Glentress Peel is off the entrance drive to the right, next to The Gateway, at grid reference NT 286 397. More trails start from the Buzzard’s Nest car park, higher in the forest at grid reference NT 286 397 EH45 8NB is the nearest postcode.
- There is not a bus stop within 150 metres of the venue.
- Buses to Melrose pass the entrance to the forest. Check Traveline Scotland for timetables and fares.
- The nearest Railway Station is Galashiels.
Getting Help and Assistance
- There is a member of staff available for help and assistance.
- Staff receive disability awareness/equality training.
- There is not a member of staff trained in British Sign Language.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are available.
- There are not mobility aids available.
- Forestry Commission leaflets, maps and publications can be provided in alternative format, for example, in large print or in another language. For more information please contact: The Diversity Team via telephone: 0300 067 5000 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The venue does have its own parking facilities.
- The car parking facilities are for Blue Badge holders only.
- The car park is located at the rear of the bike shop and cafe.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- The car park does not have a barrier control system.
- There is a/are Blue Badge parking bay(s) available.
- The Blue Badge bay(s) is/are clearly marked.
- There is/are 2 designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) surveyed are 410cm x 590cm (13ft 5in x 19ft 4in).
- There is a 120cm hatched zone around the Blue Badge parking bay(s).
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- Clearly marked/signposted parent and child parking bays are not available.
- All parking spaces are provided on a first come first served basis.
- There are additional car parks for visitors.
- There are additional car parks located next to the Gateway Building and around the forest.
- There are not parking charges for the car park.
- Parking is free for Blue Badge holders.
- There is not a/are not clearly marked drop-off point(s).
Gateway Building -Glentress Bike Shop and Glentress Peel Cafe
- At the rear of the Gateway Building information area there is a path leading down to the Glentress Bike Shop.
- There is a quiet road to cross just after the information area.
- Caution is advised with oncoming traffic.
- After crossing the road follow the path.
- The path is surfaced.
- The path is on a long slight slope.
- There is clear signage at the top and bottom of the slope.
- There is step free access on the approach.
- The surface of the approach is wooden boards.
- The wooden boards have ridges to provide grip in bad weather. However, the ridges can make the surface bumpy for wheelchair users.
Outside Access (Bike Shop Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the bike shop.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed.
- There is step-free access at this entrance.
- There is not a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- The entrance door(s) does not/do not contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- The main door(s) open(s) towards you (pull).
- The door(s) is/are single width with a locked extension leaf.
- The door(s) is/are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 85cm.
- During good weather the doors are held open.
- There is step free access throughout the shop.
- The payment counter is located to the right as you enter.
- There is step free access to the counter.
- The counter is 2m from the entrance.
- There is not a hearing loop available at the counter.
- The height of the counter is medium.
- There is not a low section at the counter.
- There is clear manoeuvring space between the aisle, but this can be restricted in places by clothing on rails.
- The bike shop does not play background music.
- The type of flooring is tiled.
- The lighting levels are good.
- There is not an/are not accessible toilet(s) for public use.
- The nearest accessible toilet(s) is/are located in Glentress Peel Cafe or Gateway Building.
- Standard toilet facilities are not available.
- The nearest standard toilet(s) is/are located in Glentress Peel Cafe or Gateway Building.