- For information about the opening hours please click here.
- Amenities at this site include: a reception, exhibition rooms and a shop.
- There is not onsite parking available here and there is designated Blue Badge on street parking nearby.
- The most accessible entrance has steps.
- There are no step-free entrances.
- The entrance surveyed is the Front Courtyard entrance, on the junction of Castlehill (Royal Mile) and Ramsay Lane.
- The building has 7 floors once inside.
- There is stepped only access to all areas of the building.
- There is a member of staff available for help and assistance.
- This venue also has the following available: seating, a clearly signed hearing assistance system and sensory packs.
- The sensory pack includes: ear defenders, fidget toys, sunglasses, binoculars, activity sheets, soft toy and torch. For more information about reserving a pack, and any charges, please contact the venue before your visit.
- At the time of our visit the hearing assistance system was not working.
- Toilet and changing facilities available include: standard toilets.
- The standard toilets can be found on the first and fourth floors.
- The standard toilets surveyed can be found on the first floor.
- This venue does not have a car park.
- Nearby parking includes Blue Badge on-street parking (within 50m) and standard on-street parking.
- There is not a designated drop-off point.
- There is not a bus stop within approximately 150m of the venue.
- The nearest bus stops are located on George IV Bridge.
- The nearest train station is Edinburgh Waverley.
- Edinburgh Waverley is approximately 600 metres from the venue.
Entrance (Front Courtyard)
- The entrance surveyed is located on the junction of Castlehill (Royal Mile) and Ramsay Lane.
- There is not step-free access at this entrance.
- There are 3 steps.
- The steps are not clearly marked and there are no handrails.
- There are double manual doors which are permanently held open.
- The width of the opening is 99cm.
- There is a second set of doors.
- There is a single manual door which open towards you.
- The width of the opening is 83cm.
- There is step-free level access to this reception.
- The height of the reception counter is 110cm.
- There is not a low level desk or counter at the recommended height for wheelchair users (between 76cm - 86cm).
- There is background noise here.
- The counter has a hearing assistance system which is not signed.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are G, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The steps are not clearly marked but there is a handrail on the right going up.
- There are 98 steps to reach the top of the building.
There are 2 staircases. One is used to ascend and one to descend.
Each floor is alternately accessed via the ascent or descent meaning you need to move 2 floors at a time.
- The tour is self-guided but guides are available to provide additional information.
- The tour takes approximately 1.5 hours.
- There is not step-free access along the tour route.
- There is background noise along the tour route.
- The following may be experienced on the tour: 3D visual effects on screen, interactive video effects and strobe or flashing lights.
- There are bench seats at regular intervals along the tour.
- All flooring along the tour route is smooth and even.
- Lighting levels are low along parts of the tour route.
- The majority of aisle widths are 150cm+.
- All flooring in the shop is smooth and even.
- The majority of the flooring includes large repeating patterns in bold colours, which may look like steps or holes to some people.
- There is step-free level access to the till(s).
- There is not a low level till at the recommended height for seated users (between 76cm - 86cm).
- The checkout area is placed in front of a patterned background.
- There is background noise here.
- There is not step-free access into the toilet(s).
- There is a manual door which opens inwards and has a good colour contrast.
- The male and female standard toilets were surveyed.
- The wash basin tap type is sensor.
- There is a baby change facility which is not at a recommended height (between 70cm - 75cm).