- The information in this section was taken in February 2022.
- A number of measures have been introduced to keep people safe. These include the following:
- A one-way system in the centre. Signage is in place throughout to help guide your journey while you shop.
- Clear signs throughout the centre reminding everyone of the need to social distance, and to avoid shopping in large groups.
- Hand sanitiser stations around the centre.
- Enhanced cleaning procedures throughout the centre.
- Face coverings are compulsory throughout the centre, including in all our stores.
- We’re restricting how many people can enter the centre and individual stores at any one time. This way, we can ensure everyone in the centre is able to social distance easily.
- Please bear with us, as it might take a little longer than normal to get what you want when you visit.
- Our lifts are available for use but social distancing is required at all times, and we are recommending one person or household per lift. Please only enter a vacant lift when it becomes available. This may mean delays to your journey through the centre during times of high use.
- Riverside and Holy Brook car parks are both open. For further information please visit here.
- Shopmobility services are temporarily closed. Please refer to our Shopmobility page for further information and updates.
- The shopping centre is operating at full trading hours but retailer hours may vary at this time.
- Both Riverside and Holy Brook car parks are open including the 137 Blue Badge parking bays.
They are only accepting card or contactless payments at the Pay on Foot machines in the car park.
- There is a member of staff available at the entrance.
- There is hand sanitiser available at the entrance.
- Hand sanitisers are available inside the venue.
- Hand sanitising stations have been added throughout the shopping centre at key locations such as entrances and lift lobbies.
There are some stations where the sanitiser is fixed to a board and some where the sanitiser is free standing on a table.
The height of most hand sanitisers is approximately 100cm.
- There are one-way systems in place in some of the shopping centre and some walkways are divided into two channels so that people can keep left and maintain social distancing.
Clear signage is provided on flooring throughout to assist with this.
- The Oracle has provided a crowd checker tool on their website so
people can check how busy the centre is before visiting.
Please click here to view the crowd checker webpage.
- There is clear signage inside to help with social distancing.
- Signage is provided throughout the shopping centre to aid social distancing.
This includes limiting the numbers using lifts, one-way systems and reminders of where to stand when queuing outside shops.
- Occupancy of lifts is limited to one person or one household and people are asked to use escalators where possible.
There is extensive signage to inform and remind people at every lift location and within lift cars.
- Customer toilets are available.
- There is a face mask vending machine close to the customer toilets near the Riverside Entrance.
- Security are available throughout the shopping centre to provide assistance and ensure that people are observing social distancing and wearing face masks.
The Customer Service desk was open, however at the time of the survey Shopmobility was still closed due to the pandemic.
- For more information about the measures in place for Covid-19 please click here (new tab) .
- The Oracle is in the centre of Reading, with various routes to the venue.
For sat nav users please use the following postcodes for our car parks:
Holy Brook Car Park, Bridge Street, RG1 2LR.
The Riverside Car Park, Mill Lane, RG1 2AG.
- There are two car parks available: Holy Brook and The Riverside.
- The Oracle is in the centre of Reading, with various routes to the venue.
- There is a bus stop within 150 metres of the venue.
- Reading has an award-winning and excellent bus network including Park and Ride schemes stopping near The Oracle.
Most buses run late into the night.
There are also a number of buses that run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, these are the emerald 5, emerald 6, purple 17 and claret 21.
The Reading ReadiBus has a drop-off point outside the Yield Hall entrance.
ReadiBus is the dial-a-ride bus service for people with restricted mobility in and around Reading.
For more information on Readibus please click here (opens in new tab).
- For more information on Reading Buses please click here (opens new tab).
- The nearest Railway Station is Reading.
- Reading Station has connections throughout the UK and is situated just 5 minutes walk away.
Simply exit the station through the main entrance and cross over the pedestrian crossing immediately outside.
Turn left and follow the road straight ahead until you come to the end of the road which brings you out into Broad Street opposite John Lewis.
Turn left and The Oracle is on the right hand side, opposite Marks and Spencer.
- For more information on Reading Station please click here (opens new tab).
Getting Help and Assistance
- For more information on Shopmobility please click here (new tab).
- There is a member of staff trained in British Sign Language. Please phone the venue in advance for more information.
- Guest Services Associates do receive training in escorting visually impaired people.
- Escorts do need to be booked in advance.
Trained escorts are available for people with a visual impairment.
Visual escorts do need to be booked in advance.
Trained escorts are available for people with a hearing impairment.
Hearing escorts do need to be booked in advance.
- Alternative formats of the shopping centre map are available in large print.
- There is not an assistance dog toilet or toileting area at the venue/nearby.
- There is not a designated place of safety which can be used by people with dementia, autism or learning disabilities.
- The venue offers a quiet shopping experience.
- Autism hours occur on the first Tuesday of every month, 09:30-11:30. Please call in advance for further information.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are available.
- There are mobility aids available.
- The mobility aids available include ceiling track hoists, wheelchairs, motorised wheelchairs, mobility scooters and adjustable beds.
- To obtain mobility aids please contact the Guest Services Counter on Level 1.
- A Shopper's Assistant is also available Monday - Wednesday to help the elderly and people with mobility problems.
To book this service in advance contact the Guest Services Counter on Level 1.
- Membership with Shopmobility is free.
There is a drop off area just outside the Shopmobility.
There is a ReadiBus stop outside the Yield Hall Entrance.
ReadiBus is a free local disability bus.
- At the time of survey (February 2022) Oracle Shopmobility was closed, however mobility equipment can still be provided via the Guest Services Counter on Level 1.
Multi-Storey Car Park
- The shopping centre does have its own parking facilities.
- The car park is located off Bridge Street.
- The car park type is multi-storey.
- The car park does have a height restriction barrier.
- The maximum height of the restriction barrier is 210cm (6ft 11in).
- The car park does have a barrier control system.
- There is a touchscreen at the barrier.
- The car park surface is concrete.
- There is a/are Blue Badge parking bay(s) available.
- Designated Blue Badge parking bays are located on Level P1, in Zones B and C.
- There is a total of 595 parking bays in the car park of which 37 are designated for the use of Blue Badge holders.
- There are parking charges for the car park.
- Parking is not free for Blue Badge holders.
- To see the parking charges please click here (opens new tab).
- Payment machines are located in the lift lobby of the car park.
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user unaided.
- There is a/are clearly marked drop-off point(s).
- The drop-off point(s) is/are located next to Shopmobility on Level 1.
- The route from the drop-off point(s) to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user unaided.
- There are 6 electric vehicle charging spaces on Level 2, which are free to use.
Multi-Storey Designated Parking Level (P1)
- There is/are 37 designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) on this level.
- The Blue Badge bay(s) is/are clearly marked.
- The dimensions of the designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) surveyed are 260cm x 454cm (8ft 6in x 14ft 11in).
- There is not a 120cm marked zone around the Blue Badge parking bay(s).
Blue Badge Parking
- The Blue Badge parking bays have a marked zone to both sides but not at the rear.
- The dimensions of other designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) vary in size.
Parent and Child Parking
- Clearly marked/signposted parent and child parking bays are available on this level.
- There is/are 23 designated Parent and Child bays parking bay(s) on this level.
- Payment signs are provided.
- Payment signs are clearly presented.
- Payment signs are located at the payment machines in the car park.
- Payment term signs do not make it clear if parking charges apply to Blue Badge holders.
- Payment machines are located in the lift lobby.
- There is not a payment machine at a convenient height for wheelchair users.
Access from the Car Park
- The nearest designated Blue Badge parking bay is approximately 7m from the lift lobby.
Other Floors (Central Stairs)
- Stairs can be used to access other floors.
- The stairs are located at the centre of the shopping centre, opposite NatWest.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are are Holy Brook Walk (Level 1), Town Walk (Level 2), Holy Brook Car Park Level 1 and Holy Brook Car Park Level 2.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The height of the step(s) is/are between the recommended 15cm and 18cm.
- The going of the step(s) is/are between the recommended 30cm and 45cm.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- There is a/are handrail(s) at the step(s).
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- Handrails are at the recommended height (90cm-100cm).
- Handrails do cover the flight of stairs throughout its length.
- Handrails are easy to grip.
- Handrails do not extend horizontally beyond the first and last steps.
- There is a landing.
- Clear signs indicating the facilities on each floor are provided on landings.
- The lighting levels at the steps are good.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located on both levels of Holy Brook Car Park and on Holy Brook Walk (Lower Mall).
- The lift is clearly visible from the entrance.
- There is 1 other lift in this location.
- The other lift has very similar/identical specifications.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- A member of staff does not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are Holy Brook Walk (Level 1), Holy Brook Car Park Level 1 and Holy Brook Car Park Level 2.
- Clear signs indicating the facilities on each floor are provided on lift lobby landings.
- There is a clear level manoeuvring space of 150cm × 150cm in front of the lift.
- Lift doors do contrast visually with lift lobby walls.
- The external controls for the lift are within 90cm - 110cm from the floor.
- The colour contrast between the external lift controls and the control plate is poor.
- The colour contrast between the external lift control plate and the wall is good.
- The clear door width is 120cm (3ft 11in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 195cm x 175cm (6ft 5in x 5ft 9in).
- There are no separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is not a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- There is a list of floor services available within the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does have an audible announcer.
- The controls for the lift are not within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- The height of the lift controls are within 110cm - 125cm from the floor.
- There is not a hearing loop system.
- The lift does have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The lighting levels in the lift are good.
- There is not an/are not accessible toilet(s) available.
- The nearest accessible toilet(s) is/are located on Holy Brook Walk - Level 1.
- Standard toilet facilities are not available.
- The nearest standard toilet(s) is/are located on Holy Brook Walk - Level 1.
- Autism hours occur on the first Tuesday of every month from 9:30-11:30. Please call in advance for further information.
- For information about Holy Brook Walk Level 1 please click here (opens in new tab)
- For information about the Oracle Town Walk Level 2 (opens in new tab)
- For information about the Riverside please click here(opens in new tab).