Show Easy Read
Getting To The Hospital
- The main hospital entrance to the Freeman Hospital is located off Freeman Road. The Freeman Hospital is at the north of Newcastle in High Heaton. It can be easily accessed by public transport or car. If you have a sat nav, postcode is NE7 7DN.
- The Blue Badge parking areas and the multi storey car park are located off Freeman Road.
- The nearest bus stop to the Freeman Hospital main entrance is located on Freeman Road. There are two Bus services. Zone 27 routes 3,18,32,38,A. Zone 17 routes 3,6,7,8,18,32,38,340,16.
- The nearest National Rail station is Newcastle.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
Getting Help and Assistance
- There is not a Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at the hospital.
- The email address for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is [email protected]
- There are volunteers available for help and assistance at the hospital.
- Volunteers do not receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are available.
- Mobility aids are available to help patients move around and include; wheelchairs.
- Interpreting services can be provided by the Trust and confirmation of booking details can be provided by the PALS team.
- Additional hospital services link (new tab) - click here.
Hospital Parking (Car Park 1)
- The hospital does have a dedicated car park.
- The car park is located in front of the hospital.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- The car park does have a barrier control system.
- Controls at the barrier are within the range of 100cm to 110cm.
- The barrier controls/touchscreen can be reached from the car.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is a/are clearly marked/signposted Blue Badge parking bay(s) available.
- The Blue Badge bay(s) is/are clearly marked.
- There is/are 10+ designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the hospital car park.
- The dimensions of the designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) surveyed are 366cm x 591cm (12ft x 19ft 5in).
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There is a designated drop-off point.
- The drop-off point is located at the front of the main entrance.
- There is a dropped kerb from the drop-off point.
- The dropped kerb does not have tactile paving.
- There are parking charges for the hospital car park.
- Payment signs are provided.
- Payment signs are clearly presented.
- Payment signs are located throughout the car park.
- Payment signs do not make it clear if parking charges apply to Blue Badge holders.
- Parking is free for Blue Badge holders.
- Payment machines are located close to the Blue Badge parking bays.
- There is a payment machine at a convenient height for wheelchair users.
- There is a level turning space (minimum 185cm x 210cm) in front of the payment machine(s).
- To see the hospital parking charges please click here (opens new tab).
Access to the Hospital
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is/are slopes/ramps.
- The hospital entrance is clearly visible from the car park.
- The route from the car park to the hospital entrance is clearly signposted.
- The nearest designated Blue Badge parking bay is approximately 169m (184yd 2ft) from the main entrance.
- In order to ensure vehicles are registered for free parking on the day of attendance, Blue Badge holders are required to provide their registration number to reception, by telephone to 0191 2231353 or via email to [email protected] This applies for each visit to the hospital.
Getting To (Cashier)
- The Cashier is/are located on level 2.
- To see the hospital map please click here (opens new tab).
- Access to the Cashier is via the Freeman hospital main entrance.
- After entering the Freeman hospital main entrance, continue to the end of the main corridor to the double doors. Turn left into the ward block building and the Cashier is located on the right.
- There is step free access to the Cashier.
- The Cashier is approximately 77m from the main entrance.
- There is a/are manual, heavy, double door(s) between the main entrance and the department/service.
- Wayfinding signage is provided.
- Dementia friendly signage is not provided.
- There is flooring in corridors with a very shiny finish which could cause issues with glare or be perceived as slippery.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building.
- The entrance area/door is not clearly signed.
- There is ramped/sloped access at this entrance.
- There is a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- The entrance door(s) does not/do not contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- The main door(s) open(s) by revolving.
- The width of the door opening is 214cm.
- There is a small lip on the threshold of the entrance, with a height of 2cm or below.
- The ramp/slope is located in front of the entrance.
- The ramp/slope gradient is easy.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- There is not a level landing at the top of the ramp/slope.
- The Cashier desk is located on the main ward block corridor.
- The counter is approximately 77m (84yd 7in) from the main entrance.
- There is step free access to the counter.
- The lighting levels at the counter are medium.
- The height of the counter is medium height (77cm - 109cm).
- There is sufficient space to write or sign documents on the counter.
- There is not a low section of the counter (76cm or below) available.
- The counter is staffed.
- There is a hearing assistance system.
- The type of system is a fixed loop.
- Staff are not trained to use the system.
- The hearing assistance system is signed.
Waiting Room / Area
- There is a waiting room / area.
- The waiting room / area is approximately 78m from the main entrance.
- There is level access into the waiting room / area.
- There is not a/are not door(s) into the waiting room / area.
- The type of flooring is vinyl/laminate.
- There is a space for a wheelchair user to wait within the seating area.
- All chairs are permanently fixed.
- Chairs with armrests are not available.
- Announcements are in person.
- The waiting room / area does not have background music playing.
- There is not a flashing fire alarm beacon within the waiting room / area.
- There is not a television.
- Vending machines are not available.
- A water dispenser is not available.
- There is not a play area or toys/books for a child to play with.
- There is space for an assistance dog to rest within the seating area.
- Lighting levels are medium.
- the nearest accessible toilet is located in the main foyer.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are not available.
- The nearest standard toilet is located in the main foyer.