Getting To The Hospital
- The main hospital entrance to the Freeman Hospital is located off Freeman Road. The Freeman Hospital is at the north of Newcastle in High Heaton. It can be easily accessed by public transport or car. If you have a sat nav, postcode is NE7 7DN.
- The Blue Badge parking areas and the multi storey car park are located off Freeman Road.
- The nearest bus stop to the Freeman Hospital main entrance is located on Freeman Road. There are two Bus services. Zone 27 routes 3,18,32,38,A. Zone 17 routes 3,6,7,8,18,32,38,340,16.
- The nearest National Rail station is Newcastle.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
Getting Help and Assistance
- There is not a Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at the hospital.
- The email address for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is [email protected].
- There are volunteers available for help and assistance at the hospital.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are available.
- Mobility aids are available to help patients move around and include; wheelchairs.
- There is a Changing Places facility at this hospital which is located at the front right of the first corridor on the right as you enter via the main entrance.
- To view the Changing Places Accessibility Guide please click here.
- Interpreting services can be provided by the Trust and confirmation of booking details can be provided by the PALS team.
- Additional hospital services link (new tab) - click here.
Hospital Parking (Car Park 1)
- The hospital does have a dedicated car park.
- The car park is located in front of the hospital.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- The car park does have a barrier control system.
- Controls at the barrier are within the range of 100cm to 110cm.
- The barrier controls/touchscreen can be reached from the car.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is a/are clearly marked/signposted Blue Badge parking bay(s) available.
- The Blue Badge bay(s) is/are clearly marked.
- There is/are 10+ designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the hospital car park.
- The dimensions of the designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) surveyed are 366cm x 591cm.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There is a designated drop-off point.
- The drop-off point is located at the front of the main entrance.
- There is a dropped kerb from the drop-off point.
- The dropped kerb does not have tactile paving.
- There are parking charges for the hospital car park.
- Payment signs are provided.
- Payment signs are clearly presented.
- Payment signs are located throughout the car park.
- Payment signs do not make it clear if parking charges apply to Blue Badge holders.
- Parking is free for Blue Badge holders.
- Payment machines are located close to the Blue Badge parking bays.
- There is a payment machine at a convenient height for wheelchair users.
- There is a level turning space (minimum 185cm x 210cm) in front of the payment machine(s).
- To see the hospital parking charges please click here (opens new tab).
Access to the Hospital
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is/are slopes/ramps.
- The hospital entrance is clearly visible from the car park.
- The route from the car park to the hospital entrance is clearly signposted.
- The nearest designated Blue Badge parking bay is approximately 169m (184yd 2ft) from the main entrance.
- In order to ensure vehicles are registered for free parking on the day of attendance, Blue Badge holders are required to provide their registration number to reception, by telephone to 0191 2231353 or via email to enquiries.carpa[email protected]. This applies for each visit to the hospital.
Getting To (Chapel)
- The Chapel is/are located on level 2.
- Access to the Chapel is via the Freeman Hospital main entrance.
- After entering the Freeman Hospital main entrance, continue to the end of the main corridor. Turn left into the ward block building and the Chapel is located on the right.
- There is step free access to the Chapel.
- The Chapel is approximately 71m from the main entrance.
- There is a/are manual, heavy, double door(s) between the Freeman Hospital main entrance and the department/service.
- Wayfinding signage is provided.
- Dementia friendly signage is not provided.
- There is flooring in corridors with a very shiny finish which could cause issues with glare or be perceived as slippery.
- There is some flooring in corridors with large, repeating patterns that incorporate bold contrasting colours or simulate steps.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building.
- The entrance area/door is not clearly signed.
- There is ramped/sloped access at this entrance.
- There is a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- The entrance door(s) does not/do not contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- The main door(s) open(s) by revolving.
- The width of the door opening is 214cm.
- There is a small lip on the threshold of the entrance, with a height of 2cm or below.
- The ramp/slope is located in front of the entrance.
- The ramp/slope gradient is easy.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- There is not a level landing at the top of the ramp/slope.
- This service is open 24 hours.
- An on call Chaplain is available 24 hours.
- This information is for the entrance located on level 2.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed with the name of the service/department.
- There is step free access at this entrance.
- The main door(s) open(s) towards you (pull).
- The door(s) is/are double width.
- The door(s) is/are permanently held open.
- The width of the door opening is 143cm.
- There is level access once inside.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- This venue does not play background music.
- Motorised scooters are allowed in public parts of the venue.
- Wayfinding signage is available.
- Dementia friendly signage is not provided.
- The type of flooring in walkways and corridors is carpet and vinyl/laminate.
- There is some flooring in corridors with a very shiny finish which could cause issues with glare or be perceived as slippery.
- The lighting levels are varied.
Room / Area (Quiet Room)
- There is / are 1 room(s) / area(s) available.
- The name / number of the room / area surveyed was; Quiet Room.
- The room / area is approximately 12m from the main entrance.
- There is step free access to the room / area.
- There is a/are door(s) into the room / area.
- The door(s) open(s) away from you (push).
- The door(s) is/are single width.
- The door(s) is/are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 77cm (2ft 6in).
- The type of flooring is carpet.
- There is room for a wheelchair user to manoeuvre.
- There is not a bed / couch.
- A hoist is not available.
- There is a chair.
- No chairs are permanently fixed.
- The chair(s) is not/are not height adjustable.
- There are no chairs with armrests available.
- No tables are permanently fixed.
- The room / area does not have background music playing.
- There is not a flashing fire alarm beacon within the room / area.
- Lighting levels are medium.
- The nearest accessible toilet is located in the main foyer.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are available.
Access to Standard Female and Male Toilet(s)
- The female and male toilet facilities that were surveyed are located to the left as you enter.
- The female and male toilets are approximately 5m (5yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- Inside the venue, there is level access to the female and male toilets.
- An ambulant toilet with wall mounted grab rails is not available.
- Lighting levels are bright.