- The information in this section was taken in November 2020.
- The following are currently closed; Garden Detectives Gallery, Bee corner dressing up area, the Theatre, Farm Explorer Tractor Trailer, Farmhouse, access to the small farm steading buildings.
- There have been no changes to the parking.
- An external queuing system (with social distancing markings) has been introduced at the main entrance to the museum building.
There is a member of the team greeting visitors outside on arrival, when resources allow there is also an additional member of the team at the farm steading and in the courtyard at the exit door.
- Due to a new one-way route around the museum, the main museum entrance is now not encouraged as an exit point.
Access to the main entrance at the museum building is controlled via a member of the team and tensa barriers.
- The exit point at courtyard level is now the main exit. You cannot re-enter the building via the courtyard door.
- Farm steading buildings are not accessible at this time due to constraints on social distancing.
- Hand sanitising stations have been installed at entrances and exit points, at the level 3 toilets, within the Tools Gallery, in the picnic field and in the farm steading.
- The capacity has been reduced accordingly to accommodate social distancing. The online booking system controls the capacity with a set number of tickets being available for each hourly arrival time slot.
- A one-way route has been implemented around the museum, indicated by the purple footprint stickers on the floor and Tensa barriers are situated in certain areas to restrict access or promote an alternative route.
- The footpath to the farm follows mostly a one way route. Visitors with mobility issues are allowed to drive to the farm when capacity allows. See access map here.
- General signage, directional signage and floor markings have been added throughout.
- Protective screens have been added in the shop, in the café and at the ticket desk.
- Signage at the toilet entrance indicates one household per visit only.
- Face masks/coverings must be worn indoors at all times unless exempt.
- Additional Information
- Tickets should be purchased in advance via the website at which point contact details will be recorded and stored securely for 21 days after the visit.
- Contact details are required for at least one member of the party.
- Contactless card transactions are preferred on site.
- Assistance dogs are still permitted on site but must be kept on a lead.
- The venue is certified with the 'We’re Good To Go’ COVID-19 industry standard.
- For more information on the 'We're Good to Go' Industry Standard please click here.
- For more information about the measures in place for Covid-19 please click here (new tab) .
- To see a video of the COVID-19 measures that are in place please click here.
- Services/facilities within the venue include the farmhouse museum exhibits, ornamental and kitchen gardens.
- Services / facilities within the grounds include the rear ornamental and kitchen gardens, the nearby farm buildings, toilets and animal viewing areas, and a park and museum located near the main car park.
- For the National Museum of Rural Life - Getting Around The Farm DisabledGo access guide please click here (new tab).
- For the National Museum of Rural Life - Museum First Floor DisabledGo access guide please click here (new tab).
- For the National Museum of Rural Life - Museum Ground Floor DisabledGo access guide please click here (new tab).
- For the National Museum of Rural Life - Museum to Farm DisabledGo access guide please click here (new tab).
- For the National Museum of Rural Life - Toilets DisabledGo access guide please click here (new tab).
- The museum is located to the North West of East Kilbride via Stewartfield Way, close to the A726/A727 interchange.
- There is a car park at the main building and parking can be arranged at the farmhouse buildings off Kittochside Road.
- There is not a bus stop within 150 metres of the venue.
- Bus 31 serving East Kilbride stops around 300m away on Stewartfield Way.
- For more information on buses in East Kilbride please click here (opens new tab).
- The nearest Railway Station is Hairmyres.
- Hairmyres station is around 2 miles away. Taxi and bus routes are available from the station.
- For more information on National Rail please click here (opens new tab).
Getting Help and Assistance
- There is a member of staff available for help and assistance.
- Staff receive disability awareness/equality training.
- There is a member of staff trained in British Sign Language.
- Staff do not receive deaf awareness training.
- The alternative formats documents can be provided in include; Braille on request and large print on request.
- There is an assistance dog toilet or toileting area at the venue/near by.
- The assistance dog toilet or toileting area is located to the rear of the main building.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are available.
- There are mobility aids available.
- The mobility aids available include wheelchairs.
- To obtain mobility aids please contact a member of staff.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located to the left of the courtyard.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed.
- There is step free access at this entrance.
- There is not a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- There is a dark mat or floor marking at this entrance that might be perceived as a hole.
- The entrance door(s) does not/do not contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- The main door(s) open(s) away from you (push).
- The door(s) is/are single width.
- The door(s) is/are permanently held open.
- The width of the door opening is 92cm.
- There is a small lip on the threshold of the entrance, with a height of 2cm or below.
- There is a second set of doors.
- The door(s) open(s) away from you (push).
- The door(s) is/are single width.
- The door(s) is/are permanently held open.
- The width of the door opening is 79cm.
Access and Circulation
- There is step free access throughout the ground floor.
- There is not a/are not door(s) in corridors/walkways which have to be opened manually.
- Handrails with a rounded or oval profile are not provided in corridors/walkways.
- The type of flooring in corridors/walkways is carpet, tiles, stone and wood.
- There is some flooring in corridors/walkways which includes patterns or colours which could be confusing or look like steps or holes to some people.
- There is some flooring in corridors/walkways which is shiny and could cause issues with glare or look slippery to some people.
- There is good colour contrast between the walls and floor in all areas.
- The lighting levels are good.
- Wayfinding signage is not provided.
- This venue does not play background music/sound.
- There is a hearing assistance system.
- The system is a portable loop.
- The main museum has a portable loop available upon request from reception.
Attraction / Exhibit
Attraction / Exhibit
- There is not level access throughout this area.
- Some additional rooms and exhibits are located on the first floor, accessed via the stairs.
- Clear directional signage is not provided in this area.
- The type of flooring in this area is carpet, tiles, stone and wood.
- There is some flooring which includes patterns or colours which could be confusing or look like steps or holes to some people.
- There is some flooring which is shiny and could cause issues with glare or look slippery to some people.
- Handrails with a rounded or oval profile are provided in some areas.
- This area does not play background music/sound.
- There is some flash photography within this area.
- There are not resting/seating areas within this area.
- Explanations for the exhibit(s) is/are in pictorial format.
- Some exhibits can be audio described.
- Exhibits are audio described in person.
- There are no exhibits which start from the floor level.
- Some of the farm buildings temperature will be affected by weather conditions.
- There is a good colour contrast between the walls and the floor in this area.
- The lighting levels in this area are good.
- Visitors exit via the entrance/opening.
- Stairs can be used to access other floors.
- The stairs are for public use.
- The stairs are located off the main hallway.
- The stairs are approximately 12m from the main entrance.
- Signs indicating the location of the stairs are not available from the entrance.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are G and 1.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The height of the step(s) is/are not between the recommended 15cm and 18cm.
- The height of the step(s) is/are 19cm.
- The going of the step(s) is/are between the recommended 30cm and 45cm.
- The steps are not clearly marked.
- There is a/are handrail(s) at the step(s).
- The steps have a handrail on the left going up.
- Handrails are at the recommended height (90cm-100cm).
- Handrails do cover the flight of stairs throughout its length.
- Handrails are easy to grip.
- Handrails do not extend horizontally beyond the first and last steps.
- There is a landing.
- Clear signs indicating the facilities on each floor are not provided on landings.
- The lighting levels at the steps are good.
- The room(s) on the floors which are not accessible is/are further exhibits and information.
- The gardens are located to the rear of the farmhouse, accessed via the gate to the left of the main entrance.
- The gate opens away from you (push).
- The gate is permanently held open.
- The width of the opening is 95cm.
- The garden paths have a surface of loose chippings, with a grass surface covering the majority of the ornamental garden.
- There is a steep slope down over the grass from the path.
- There is a moderate slope down the path to the steps at the kitchen garden gate.
- There are 3 medium height steps at the gate.
- The ramp and steps do not have handrails.
- The ramp does not overcome the steps, although the steps can be bypassed using the accessible path detailed in the Museum - Farm route access guide.
- There are paths throughout the kitchen garden with a surface of loose chippings.
- The nearest accessible toilet(s) is/are located in the toilet block near the Farm Explorer bus stop.
- The nearest standard toilet(s) is/are located in the toilet block near the Farm Explorer bus stop.