Skip to main content

Sidgwick Site

5 West Road, Cambridge, CB3 9DP

Sidgwick Site is part of:

    About Sidgwick Site

    The Sidgwick Site at the University of Cambridge is located on the western side of Cambridge city centre, near the College backs. The site is north of Sidgwick Avenue and south of West Road and is home to several of the university's arts and humanities faculties. The site is named after the philosopher Henry Sidgwick, who studied at Cambridge in the 19th century. The site as it is now has its origins in plans drawn up by Casson and Conder in 1952 for making use of land to the west of the Cambridge city centre which was previously used mainly for sports. Much of the site's current architecture derives from these original plans. However, many faculty buildings, especially to the north of the site, have been designed by separate architects with little reference to the coherence of the site as a whole. In July 2002, the old Faculty of English, a converted Victorian villa, was demolished, and a more practical building designed by Allies and Morrison to reflect the needs of the faculty was completed in 2004. The Alison Richard Building, completed in 2012 and designed by Nicholas Hare Architects, brings together a number of different research groups (Interdisciplinary Geographical Centres), the new department of Politics and International Studies (POLIS) and the Centre for Research in Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities (CRASSH).

Search for Access Guides and Routes within Sidgwick Site

Featured Access Guides

Buildings and services