Skip to main content

New Museums Site

Cambridge, CB2 3QH

New Museums Site is part of:

    About New Museums Site

    The New Museums Site is a major site of the University of Cambridge, located on Pembroke Street and Free School Lane, sandwiched between Corpus Christi College, Pembroke College and Lion Yard. The smaller and older of two university city-centre science sites (the other is the Downing Site), the New Museums Site houses many of the university's science departments, lecture halls and examination rooms, as well as two museums.

    Formerly the site of the university Botanic Garden (which is now between Hills Road and Trumpington Road in the south of the city), the New Museums Site is an eclectic mixture of grand Victorian buildings erected between 1870 and 1909, such as the Old Cavendish Laboratory; yellow-brick buildings from the 1930–40s, largely utilitarian with the exception of the Mond Building; and modernist glass-and-concrete buildings dating from the 1970s, such as the Materials Science and Metallurgy tower.

    Several important scientific developments of the 19th and 20th centuries were made here, mainly at the Old Cavendish Laboratory, including the discoveries of the electron by J.J. Thomson (1897) and the neutron by Chadwick (1932), splitting the atom by Cockcroft and Walton (1932), mechanism of nervous conduction by Hodgkin and Huxley (1930s–40s), and DNA structure by Watson and Crick (1953).

Search for Access Guides and Routes within New Museums Site

Featured Access Guides

Buildings and services